So who is a mechanic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So who is a mechanic
As title really just wondering how many of you there are on here, there seems to be very few that makes the projects even more impressive really.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
I'm a mechanic, originally a plant fitter now a bus/hgv fitter. I would love to do an awesome project but time money and usage just doesn't justify it for me
Thanks given by:
I used to be full time...
Not anymore.
I fix stuff thats broke that has engine
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
im a mechanic. i do all the things. shearing bolts, breaking seals, fitting pbushes.
Thanks given by:
Im a proper mechanic.. Lol

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
I have a BTEC ND in mechanics...that makes me one right... lol
Thanks given by:
(20-07-2016, 08:50 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I have a BTEC ND in mechanics...that makes me one right... lol

Same but in Agri mechanics, I wouldn't trust myself to do more than change a wheel tbh.
Thanks given by:
ND in Agri, Horti and motor vehicle here Smile couldnt stand doing it for a living though so just do bits and pieces for myself. Knowledge of cars and parts is what makes me so effective at my job though.
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
No qualifications but always been interested in mechanics. Learnt probably 90% of what I know from my old man. Then bits along the way from others and what I've picked up myself.
Thanks given by:
full time bike mechanic, have done hgv cars 4x4 vans trailers pcv and a bit of agricultural.

only papers i have are cytech 2, which i got after over 10 years fixing bikes as I'd never needed it lol
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
im no vehicle mechanic

but i have done 1 C&G module (Engine Diagnostic Techniques) of 3 towards Motor vehicle craft studies part 3

i was doing this as an evening course until my day time shift pattern was changed and never did the other two modules

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Also in the BTEC ND club but mine is in Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
I worked in a garage that built custom race motorbikes while I was at college and after college I started an apprenticeship at Honda (cars) but didn't get very far with it.

Most of my car skills are self taught or picked up from watching others.

(20-07-2016, 08:56 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: ND in Agri, Horti and motor vehicle here Smile couldnt stand doing it for a living though so just do bits and pieces for myself. Knowledge of cars and parts is what makes me so effective at my job though.

This, I like playing with my own cars and bikes but coudn't stand doing it for a living full time.
Thanks given by:
....I never got paperwork as I dropped down to part time...

What I did learn at college...college teaches you nothing.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(20-07-2016, 11:02 AM)Piggy Wrote: What I did learn at college...college teaches you nothing.

I don't agree there, it covered a wide range of basics for me. BUT was intended to be followed with an apprenticeship so doesn't need to go into too much detail.

Of course I've learnt far more since then, mainly by breaking and fixing various cars, and reading forums on the toilet... But college definitely set down a basic understanding imo. Smile
Thanks given by:
(20-07-2016, 11:02 AM)Piggy Wrote: What I did learn at college...college teaches you nothing.

a great lesson for us all there. We don't need no education.
Thanks given by:
(20-07-2016, 11:08 AM)Eeyore Wrote:

"we don't need no thought control"! lmao
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(20-07-2016, 11:30 AM)Magenta Sunset Wrote:

"we don't need no thought control"! lmao

"piggy leave them kids alone..."
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
i learnt all about trucks and air brakes very quickly from time served mechanics
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Haha...yeah...
I guess for some it did...but everything they were teaching at college I knew when I was 10!

(20-07-2016, 11:44 AM)welshpug Wrote: i learnt all about trucks and air brakes very quickly from time served mechanics

Yes.

This is the best proven method in my opinion. Learn more spending a day with an experienced mechanic than a month of college.

I didn't say that, did I?

We need education...but lifes most important lessons are not learnt in a classroom.

Much of what society needs to learn, again, you are not able to teach in a classroom.

I found college was just a wasted day where I could have been in the workshop actually accomplishing things and learning for real
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Ok well to throw in my 2p i done a 3 year aporenticeship follwes by a master tech thing with isuzu and training with proton, follwes by leaving and going to pug, started doing allthe courses there hated who i worked with moved to where i am now. The most ive ever learnt though has been on the job not all the stupi training courses apart from my ac course. That was useful.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
(20-07-2016, 08:48 AM)Eeyore Wrote: im a mechanic. i do all the things. shearing bolts, breaking seals, fitting pbushes.

And puncture tyres....

I'm no mechanic and it shows. Found the source of my oil leak being a loose oil filter and when i say loose it was freely spinning in either direction lol
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:

Much as i hate to agree with Piggy and undermine the value of a decent education, i agree with this totally when it comes to trade skills. My nvq made me a mechanic in the same way buying a telescope makes you a nasa scientist, ie it didn't and was only relevant in the very broadest of terms.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(20-07-2016, 01:03 PM)Poodle Wrote:

Much as i hate to agree with Piggy and undermine the value of a decent education, i agree with this totally when it comes to trade skills. My nvq made me a mechanic in the same way buying a telescope makes you a nasa scientist, ie it didn't and was only relevant in the very broadest of terms.

All in agrement here. The trade teachs you this not the collage.
Thanks given by:
uni didnt make me a consultant or an super employable IT guy. its just a good start. lets not discuss uni and whether its worth it in this chat though. we have done that before.
Thanks given by:
Vehicle Technician sounds posher! :wink:

I work on classic cars for a living restoring he likes of Morris minors, mini's anything old really oldest webs had so far is a ford pilot V8!
[Image: ForumSignature.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'm not a qualified mechanic, but I do have 2 city and guilds in engineering systems and processes, mechanical engineering systems and maintenance, along with other nvqs covering machining on all types, inc grinding, and basic welding electronic and electrical installations.

So I am not a qualified car mechanic, but the individual systems of how a car works I'm pretty covered on how to f*ck it up more Smile ha ha ha
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
I learned f*ck all in college as I only did the lectures between 0900 - 1100 cos the pub opened at 1100 and my mate was knobbing the barmaid so me and another mate got left looking after the bar Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Been on the spanners long time
Thanks given by:
I am fully qualified mechanic also mot tester done it since left school so 10 years now did apprenticeship at peugeot dealer. Built my lynx supercharged 6
Thanks given by:
(20-07-2016, 11:43 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:
(20-07-2016, 11:30 AM)Magenta Sunset Wrote:

"we don't need no thought control"!  lmao

"piggy leave them kids alone..."

lmao repped sir

Not a full time mechanic as there's f*ck all money involved when it comes to what people are willing to spend repairing cars.  I do however work for a legendary race and rally prep company from time to time. But even then the people with £120k worth of classic rally car still don't want to pay f*ck all for building and maintaining them
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Car Mechanic Simulator lolsteve 19 4,401 08-02-2014, 03:00 PM
Last Post: dwanepipe
  Thinking of starting a mobile mechanic business strictly_perv 10 6,014 21-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Last Post: dturbopeck