306 owners with bmw daily's

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306 owners with bmw daily's
Noticed while looking around the forum that a fair few people have bmw's as daily's lol.

Who daily's them then and am I the only one who think's 306's are as good to drive ?

I've got a 1999 E46 318i not the fastest etc but I like it she's survived 166,000 miles (30,000 of my own) trips all over Ireland etc.
Thanks given by:
I daily my 330ci and occasionally drive the other halfs S2 HDi. I think 'as good to drive' is a bit of a strong statement as they're very different cars. Comfort wise? Not a chance. Spec wise? Not a chance. But for chucking around a decent B road the 306 is a hell of a car and I don't think you can get much better for the price you pick them up for
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I hate all bmws
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
E34 TDS touring is my daily.

its an SE spec car but is on Alpina B8 dampers and springs, still leans and wobbles about a bit, but hell does it have a lot of mechanical grip on the summer wheels.

its shit on fuel really, but its not slow for its size, just pin it and as long as its not icy it just fooks off up the road lol

parts are a little more expensive, but they last a very long time, apart from the auto boxes
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
E36 325i Coupe - loves to drift but really requires foot to the floor 24/7. Shit on fuel. Cheap to repair/service. More reliable than Jap Crap. Doesn't clunk like f-ck even though diff's welded.

E36 325TDS Saloon - Barely driven it, quite shit of fuel, f-cking slow as standard.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(13-01-2016, 12:46 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: I daily my 330ci and occasionally drive the other halfs S2 HDi. I think 'as good to drive' is a bit of a strong statement as they're very different cars. Comfort wise? Not a chance. Spec wise? Not a chance. But for chucking around a decent B road the 306 is a hell of a car and I don't think you can get much better for the price you pick them up for

Well in their own respect the 306's are really good to drive I think. I've driven a lot of cars and my 306 is by far one of my favourites. Of course it's mine so I'm naturally biased but having said that if it was no good I wouldn't spend any time or money on it to begin with lol. Your right spec and comfort wise the bmw's and 306's are worlds apart but I have the standard seats in my 306 and it's so comfy I don't think I'm gonna change them. Yeah there definitely fun to chuck around and great value. I'm leaning towards getting a Toyota Altezza or Lexus IS200 now cause my bmw is slowly dying so the 306 will be a daily for a while in the next couple of months

(13-01-2016, 12:55 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: I hate all bmws

Hahaha that's allowed there not for everybody

(13-01-2016, 01:16 PM)welshpug Wrote: E34 TDS touring is my daily.

its an SE spec car but is on Alpina B8 dampers and springs, still leans and wobbles about a bit, but hell does it have a lot of mechanical grip on the summer wheels.

its shit on fuel really, but its not slow for its size, just pin it and as long as its not icy it just fooks off up the road lol

parts are a little more expensive, but they last a very long time, apart from the auto boxes

I've looked at getting one of those before, couldn't justify it but I do like the engine note from them Big Grin

Hahaha yep there belters, I was in an E39 TDS auto and it just hauled up the road

(13-01-2016, 02:10 PM)silverzx Wrote: E36 325i Coupe - loves to drift but really requires foot to the floor 24/7. Shit on fuel. Cheap to repair/service. More reliable than Jap Crap. Doesn't clunk like f-ck even though diff's welded.

E36 325TDS Saloon - Barely driven it, quite shit of fuel, f-cking slow as standard.

Sweet welded life love it  Rofl Same as my 318i I have to push it but it gets up and goes fairly sharpish.

There not the worst the 318tds are even slower but 60mpg is achievable
Thanks given by:
Had an E46 325i soft top.was a lovely lazy power car but I made the mistake of buying an automatic and it bored me to death
Thanks given by:
I had a modified E36 325TDS. It was awesome and I would only own BMWs now if it wasn't for the fact that I needed rear tyres more often than I needed fuel and was going to end up loosing my licence.

Having been in/driven the BMWs we get at work I can honestly say that the middle spec BMWs we have are better in every way than the higher/top spec Volvos and Skoda VRSs that we've had. TBH they aren't even in the same league.
Thanks given by:
(14-01-2016, 09:52 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I would only own BMWs now if it wasn't for the fact that I needed rear tyres more often than I needed fuel and was going to end up loosing my licence.

I think that's more a problem with the owner than the cars dude lol
Thanks given by:
(14-01-2016, 09:52 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I had a modified E36 325TDS. It was awesome and I would only own BMWs now if it wasn't for the fact that I needed rear tyres more often than I needed fuel and was going to end up loosing my licence.

Having been in/driven the BMWs we get at work I can honestly say that the middle spec BMWs we have are better in every way than the higher/top spec Volvos and Skoda VRSs that we've had. TBH they aren't even in the same league.

E90 320D's are obtainable with 140-200k miles on 05-07 for £2,500 now. Any good? Tempted to get one as a daily and prolong the S14 from dying.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
(14-01-2016, 10:35 AM)Midnightclub Wrote:
(14-01-2016, 09:52 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I would only own BMWs now if it wasn't for the fact that I needed rear tyres more often than I needed fuel and was going to end up loosing my licence.

totally! still got my license, 12k miles on some conti sport contact 5's and only half worn, chip and decat and not a light foot!

newer ones dont last and cost a lot more to fix, mind you my e34 has only got 101k on it still.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
I like Beemers exterior and engines...but it's like they just can't be bothered with the interior!! Confused
Thanks given by:
(14-01-2016, 11:35 AM)welshpug Wrote:
(14-01-2016, 10:35 AM)Midnightclub Wrote:

totally! still got my license, 12k miles on some conti sport contact 5's and only half worn, chip and decat and not a light foot!

newer ones dont last and cost a lot more to fix, mind you my e34 has only got 101k on it still.

Absolutely! My rear tyres are probably coming up to 2 years old now and still have a good 4.5mm+ of tread - that's with running some neg camber too.

(14-01-2016, 11:40 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I like Beemers exterior and engines...but it's like they just can't be bothered with the interior!! Confused

I quite like the layout in the E46 as everything feels centered around the driver, and the older interiors weren't that bad. But E90 onwards sort of age and they look pretty boring/don't look that great
Thanks given by:
(14-01-2016, 09:52 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I had a modified E36 325TDS. It was awesome and I would only own BMWs now if it wasn't for the fact that I needed rear tyres more often than I needed fuel and was going to end up loosing my licence.

Drove the new Skoda Octavia VRS and hated it. It epitomises everything I hate about most newer cars hahaha.

The new BMW's are fantastic though I've seen a few things that I think need improving. My favourite that I've driven was the F10 530d m sport absolute monster of a car

(14-01-2016, 10:44 AM)silverzx Wrote:

E90 320D's are obtainable with 140-200k miles on 05-07 for £2,500 now. Any good? Tempted to get one as a daily and prolong the S14 from dying.

I'd say definitely get one. Have a look at whether it's a 163bhp or 177bhp though get a 177 if you can there much better. The E90 is one of the last bmw's that actually has a nice weight in all of the controls and those engines are really good. My dad's 320d is on 270,000 miles now not a bother
Thanks given by:
(14-01-2016, 12:08 PM)Adam CD P1 Wrote:

I'd say definitely get one. Have a look at whether it's a 163bhp or 177bhp though get a 177 if you can there much better. The E90 is one of the last bmw's that actually has a nice weight in all of the controls and those engines are really good. My dad's 320d is on 270,000 miles now not a bother

Is there a lot of difference between the two? I swear I remember reading the 163bhp earlier M47 is better built then the latter?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
(14-01-2016, 02:42 PM)silverzx Wrote:
(14-01-2016, 12:08 PM)Adam CD P1 Wrote:

Is there a lot of difference between the two? I swear I remember reading the 163bhp earlier M47 is better built then the latter?

Wasn't there an issue with turbos on the 163bhp engines? I'd imagine most will have been changed by now though!

I used to own a 120d, not everyones cup of tea to look at but what a chassis (Try a 130i or 135i Wink)  Absolutely superb car to drive and the only car I've driven to the 'Ring where I've got out not feeling my back. (Sport seats are the best seats I've had the pleasure to grace - very supportive yet comfortable!). MPG quotes are a bit far fetched and boot space laughable. I had mine mapped before it went, really rattled along then!

My old E34 530i was a tank by comparison. Surprisingly quick for such a big car, 70/80mph felt like 40, ludicrously thirsty and could destroy rear tyres for fun. Probably still my favourite car I've had, and if I could find one, I'd have another.....shame the 535i Sports (proper differ, sport trim, better suspension etc) are fetching decent money these days.
2001 BMW 330Ci
2012 VW High Up
1988 205 GTi 1.6
1990 205 Mi16
Thanks given by:

I forget what engine we had in out last 3 series that was E90 shape but it was a great car, terrifyingly fast and we had it well past when it should have been replaced.

We currently have the new 520D estate and the speed of that thing makes the 170bhp Skoda VRS look like a 1.4.
Thanks given by:
I want one...

Just scared of the depreciation...

[Image: bmw2-1.jpg]
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Id get the estate, IIRC the saloon boot isn't particularly big or well shaped.
Thanks given by:
I agree with Dum-Dum, the estate is the better option space wise and it's not a whole lot heavier whish makes them a fantastic all rounder

(14-01-2016, 03:43 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:

I forget what engine we had in out last 3 series that was E90 shape but it was a great car, terrifyingly fast and we had it well past when it should have been replaced.

We currently have the new 520D estate and the speed of that thing makes the 170bhp Skoda VRS look like a 1.4.

What's you thoughts on the steering ? I drove a 520d se auto estate and I was unimpressed by the steering I thought it was too light (though I understand the practicality of this) and I didn't like the gear selector either though it was cool. Other then that I loved it
Thanks given by:
[Image: DSC_1056_zpsd362e90d.jpg]
[Image: DSC_1045_zpse5a6d552.jpg]

I loved my 320d, 177bhp.

The 177bhp N47 likes to stretch timing chains so listen carefully for noises.

I would have another but it'd have to be a 330D I think. The good thing about BMW diesels however is that they drive quite like a petrol. You can rev them & they really do go.
Thanks given by:
Modern cars are all stupidly light sadly.
Thanks given by:
(14-01-2016, 06:02 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Modern cars are all stupidly light sadly.

Yeah it's a shame. I've driven most of the new VAG cars and Hyundai's etc didn't like many of them.

Got back in my E46 318i and was happy out hahaha
Thanks given by:
Some of us like the lightness of modern stuff... In fact, most of the general public do. Tongue
Thanks given by:
(14-01-2016, 07:13 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Some of us like the lightness of modern stuff...  In fact, most of the general public do. Tongue

It's just utterly boring to drive though, everything is assisted, it just takes the fun out of driving completely. There's nothing about all these euro boxes - I hate it but people these days aren't interested in driving, they just want the newest car they can (or can't) afford. I wish they'd switch to dateless plates like NI to lose the newest plate snobbery.

A good old raw car with some weight behind it is a lovely place to be, a bit of character!

Your Focus for example is a completely fine every day mode of transport but there's nothing wow when you're driving it - I drive so many cars now through work & something like your Focus just isn't something that I think 'Ooh I get to drive this today' as it's just a mediocre form of transport, if I pull up up at a mk2 Golf for example with no power steering & a good old lump to manoeuvre - it's the first thing in my mind when I think about my day!

Don't be 'the general public' - don't become the majority!
Thanks given by:
(14-01-2016, 07:13 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Some of us like the lightness of modern stuff...  In fact, most of the general public do. Tongue

It definitely does have it's benefits.

I'd happily daily the new Audi A4 or A6 or new BMW's there very nice places to be, Same with the Hyudai I40 and the new Ford Focus and Mondeo.

Thing is, I'm a fusspot and I like to feel the weight of the steering and pedals etc so haha
Thanks given by:
People like what they like, couldn't care less whether I'm in the minority or majority. Tongue

Don't think you've driven a Mk2.5 Focus hard as they're surprisingly weighted with a reasonable feedback when you do push them... I don't like that lol, it's still too heavy, get clutch leg ache in town traffic and with the steering in sports mode parking is awkward - that said fast corners in comfort mode are terrifying so I leave it in standard mostly, bit of a gimic feature I think lol. I would hate to drive something that required effort - 106 NAD was a great example there lol. Tbh even the GTi6 - I liked the idea of it - but once I got in it and everything was heavy and awkward the reality was I just didn't get on with it.

Give me something with no road feel, light controls and as many driver assists as possible over old heavy shite any day. Wink
Thanks given by:
(14-01-2016, 07:13 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Some of us like the lightness of modern stuff... In fact, most of the general public do. Tongue

naah, 99% of the driving population don't know any different nor care.
Thanks given by:
Pretty sure they do...

Old people struggle with heavy controls for a start, that's at least 50% of drivers. Tongue People driving for a living don't want heavy controls either, particularly if you're a city centre taxi or delivery driver...

Driving is about getting from A to B for probably 90% of the time, makes sense to make that as easy and comfortable as possible!
Thanks given by:
I can see why people like both and there are benefits and preferences for everybody

Just personally, I prefer to have something that's heavy, involving and connected to the road

I'm only 20 nearly 21 so I'm sure as I get older my preferences will change but for now I like to have something like that
Thanks given by: