saggy bottom

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
saggy bottom
query;
are there any rear shocks that would help the rear ride-height for towing/holiday luggage?
I know the rear beam is going, and have a spare one ready to refurb when I've some spare cash, but i'd like 'something extra' for those odd occasions i'm carrying extra load.
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
shocks will settle to where the springs/bars hold the car

so shocks alone wont raise the hight of the car

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
The height is set by the bars and the lean of a dodgy beam, not the shocks, all stiffer shocks would do is make the rear end skittish over rough ground. You need thicker TBs and a beam that isn't broken... lol
Thanks given by:
You may want to consider an estate set-up, designed for heavier rear axle loads. Although, AFAIK the only difference is the thicker bars.
2001 BMW 330Ci
2012 VW High Up
1988 205 GTi 1.6
1990 205 Mi16
Thanks given by:
pity*. anyway, thanks guys!
*(I recall older cars with coil or leaf springs had more options.)
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Coil springs on the rear are a far better design as used on pretty much every other small hatch in the 00s... Torsion beams are horrible and only fitted to save space, but at least the boot space is good on a 306... lol
Thanks given by:
(22-11-2015, 11:49 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Coil springs on the rear are a far better design as used on pretty much every other small hatch in the 00s...  Torsion beams are horrible and only fitted to save space, but at least the boot space is good on a 306... lol

I agree with that (5pc drumkit or full pa system) Cool
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Yeah I miss the boot space of the 306 estates. Sad Will probably buy a cheap one for my next house move I reckon haha.

I do not miss torsion beam suspension though! lol
Thanks given by:
not tried one of them.
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
There's not much that doesn't fit in them... Every part on a mk4 Golf for a start lol, huge lumps of tree and bush (don't Tongue ), the majority of my Nans cottage, etc, etc. Never had to use the trailer once I had an estate, just used it for things like lawn mower to save mess inside.
Thanks given by:
(22-11-2015, 12:18 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: not tried one of them.

Do it, they're great load luggers!
Thanks given by:
just found this via Google;
http://www.springassisters.co.uk/31B09%20INST.pdf
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Yeah, no.
Thanks given by:
(22-11-2015, 12:29 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: just found this via Google;

They are good.. But you need springs for them to work lol
Thanks given by:
Get a late estate rear beam, they have thicker torsion bars and arb iirc.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
according to their spec, designed for torsion bars -
http://www.springassisters.co.uk/menu.htm
will mull it over AFTER getting the beam sorted Wink
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Yeah im not sure how those would work on torsion bars
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(23-11-2015, 12:25 PM)Matt Wrote: Yeah im not sure how those would work on torsion bars

Looks like it's a spring that fits between the trailing arm and the body, effectively increasing the spring rate.

1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
(22-11-2015, 11:49 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Coil springs on the rear are a far better design as used on pretty much every other small hatch in the 00s...  Torsion beams are horrible and only fitted to save space, but at least the boot space is good on a 306... lol

They're no better than the torsion bars.

For the 90th time, the rear of a 306 is NOT a torsion beam. That's fitted to shitty Fords/Kia's etc, to save cash, it works nothing like the rear 306 suspension. BEAM =/= BAR. Completely different systems.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
is there a thread covering the differences? i'd like to learn.
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Could do with one, half the people on here still bang on about going fully independent at the rear too....
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
IRS? needs an old Jag or sierra I believe.
slightly off subject, best rear end I've ever had my spanners on was an SD1. Live rear axle, coil springs, Watts linkage.

Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(23-11-2015, 08:23 PM)Rippthrough Wrote:

For the 90th time, the rear of a 306 is NOT a torsion beam. That's fitted to shitty Fords/Kia's etc, to save cash, it works nothing like the rear 306 suspension. BEAM =/= BAR. Completely different systems.

Cheaper and easier to replace.
Cheaper and easier to lower or upgrade.
Doesn't give you a sideways bounce on rough corners.
Don't give you a twitchy arse on long sweeping bends.
Don't give LOOS if you run out of balls on a corner.
Don't give the terrifying 'roll' when you apply the handbrake and let off the footbrake on hills

I'll stick with coil springs any day... Tongue
Thanks given by:
Finally! got my picture to show up!  Censored
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Actually Tom, most of those "faults" aren't down to the basic torsion bar setup at all... but don't let that get in way of what you're saying or anything.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
A couple are down to old beam mounts if that's what you mean...but that's still part of the beam and not applicable to coil rears...
Thanks given by:
here's a thought,
Nivomat type shocks for when towing (?) ninja
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(23-11-2015, 08:53 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(23-11-2015, 08:23 PM)Rippthrough Wrote:

Cheaper and easier to replace.
Cheaper and easier to lower or upgrade.
Doesn't give you a sideways bounce on rough corners.
Don't give you a twitchy arse on long sweeping bends.
Don't give LOOS if you run out of balls on a corner.
Don't give the terrifying 'roll' when you apply the handbrake and let off the footbrake on hills

I'll stick with coil springs any day... Tongue

All of which is nothing to do with having coil springs.
And some of which are everything to do with f*cked/knackered parts.

I did do some rear dampers for 306's which had internal springs to boost the spring rate, but the price of them now would make most people think twice.
Thanks given by:
i'm going to see what a refurbed beam will do before I do anything else Cool
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(23-11-2015, 08:36 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: IRS? needs an old Jag or sierra I believe.

The 306 is already IRS Big Grin

Yes, rebuilt beam and go from there, no point upgrading something that's already tired.
Thanks given by: