Urgent help required! please - semi sorted - just need parts.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urgent help required! please - semi sorted - just need parts.
Big Grin 
hey guys, got a wierd problem, 

Going downmotor way, came off throttle, and had a really nasty wobble comming from the left front. went back on the throttle, and it dissapeared. got to cruising speed, it returned. 

basically the only time it wasnt there, was when either accelerating, or braking. pulled in the services to take a look, and jacked the offending wheel to no ovail, 

carrie don my journey, and about 20 mins later it returned....... yes the prblem dissapeared, then after 20 mins, came back. 

wtf is happening. i cant feel any excessive play in the wheel that would cause this. but im thinking it could be the cv? under braking it wants to pull me left pretty badly, and shudders the steering wheel.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
P bush at the rear of the wishbone or round bush at front of wishbone perhaps if you ain't done them before on your car, check track rod end etc!
Thanks given by:
Check your gear box mount is tight.
I'm come across a few 306's now where the nut is literally on by a few threads
Thanks given by:
when my pbush snapped it was the opposite. It was fine cruising and noticeable when accelerating and braking.
Thanks given by:
thanks guys, so a few things to check. but now i have 5 mins, i will give more details.

Yesterday i hit a bloody great pot hole...... everything seemd fine, but it was only a 300 yard drive home after hitting the pot hole.

So today the vibrations happen, and it is a sever shudder when it starts. If i drive short distances, and calmly is not there at all. but if i go on the motorway, it will appear after about 10mins of 60 plus driving. If i stop for a couple of minutes, it disappears.

The shuddering, is while cruising, and the trasitions between acceleration and braking. when the shuddering happens it pulls to the left.

Checks i have done so far -

with wheel off floor - check for bearing play, rock wheel all round - nothing untoward.
with wheel on floor - rock wheel from top and sides, nothing untoward.

so i think regardless the wheel has to come off, and everything inspected.

thanks guys Smile
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
if its pulling then something must be out with the steering. I would be checking P bushes.
Thanks given by:
Bring it to me this evening if you want? I'm sure we can find out what's causing it.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by: insomaniac45
ill pm you Smile
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
Massive thanks to jonny Smile

still not 100% clear as to what the issue may be, but at least i know that car is not going to kill me any time soon. So for the time being she is only being used for short journeys.

But just got home, and my back has decided to give out on me again....... not good news.
Plan of action from the missus approval book. Do the lot!

So firstly it will be driveshaft, track rod end and wheel bearing. P bush all in 1 hit.

then it will be lower engine mount (as jonny pointed out it has seen better days).
Thank you all whom has offered their opinions as to what it could be, thank you jonny for your assistance in pointing out what it could be with me tonight. I owe you one Smile

The missus pretty much said, if you cant pinpoint it, why not do the lot. So i am Smile lol. got to love the wife :p

Thanks once again.

Tony.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
Have the wheel checked before you spend on parts in case you buckled it, or bang on the spare and see if it's any different???
Thanks given by:
Sounds like buckled wheel or damaged tyre tbh
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I think Jonny would have noticed, no? Wink
[Image: 9fa12c59-0c3d-4413-968d-6a7840ff068f.jpg]
Stage 1 HDi DTurbo Diablo 5dr, "Dee-Dee"
Thanks given by:
we checked the wheel quite throughly last night, it ran true with no noticable wobble.

The problem is not constant and unless its happening i dont think we will find it unless i start replacing parts.Unfortunately my back is even worse today, so getting under the car to do more checks is out of the question atm. So it is simple to just replace the tired parts anyhow. As Jonny did mention most of the parts are tired. Because i want to keep this car, and fix it up for myself, it only makes sense to just do it. Then it will do all good for the foreseeable future Smile
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
The wheel isn't buckled, and the problem develops after time, hence suggesting the driveshaft or wheel bearing. I can't feel anything wrong with either, other than a slight resistance to spinning the wheel and a bit of a grumble when driving. It'd be easy if something had come off lol

Thanks given by:
that is too true Jonny. if something had snapped, or come off, then i think even i would have been able to find it. But you did point out a lot of items that even i did not see. For that i am grateful,

Hopefully this car will keep going, and not be an absolute money pit. only because my budget is tighter than a natts arse, so fixing this car up on a very tight budget is going to be fun lol.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
(17-10-2015, 07:53 AM)insomaniac45 Wrote: that is too true Jonny. if something had snapped, or come off, then i think even i would have been able to find it. But you did point out a lot of items that even i did not see. For that i am grateful,

Hopefully this car will keep going, and not be an absolute money pit. only because my budget is tighter than a natts arse, so fixing this car up on a very tight budget is going to be fun lol.

The car is in better condition than most of the cars i see at work, i was just being thorough as I couldn't find any obvious cause of the problem. Like you say, the driveshaft is the first thing we should change and the track rod end as that has play.

Thanks given by:
I do recall once having a similar issue with a driveshaft. Heavy wheel wobble and rumble after about 2hrs on motorway in the ph1 xud.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Might have lost a wheel weight, try the spare anyway! Might be nothing to do with the wheel as Johnny said but its free to check so...
Thanks given by:
(17-10-2015, 08:13 AM)Piggy Wrote: I do recall once having a similar issue with a driveshaft. Heavy wheel wobble and rumble after about 2hrs on motorway in the ph1 xud.

did it go away when you stopped for a few minutes? as that is exactly whats happening here. 

it was about 2hrs into driving, went from romsey (hampshire) to Kingston University - which is about 1 1/2 hrs drive, it was almost half way home when it started. Then stopped in the services to check it out, when i got back on the motorway, it went, until i got on the M27 when it started again. 

If i stick to the normal roads, it seems ok. so at least i can still sort of use the car until the parts arrive :Smile

If it were anything to do with the wheel itself, the problem would be constant. i do have minor vibrations at high speed, which i can only presume to be out of balance wheels, it is on the list of to-dos but this will get done when i change out the tyres, (non are the same, and are getting a little tyred...... (pun intended))
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
I had the exact same issue with my cab after hitting a huge pothole 2 days ago.
I've just replaced wheel bearings and the issue is now gone if that helps.
Thanks given by:
question is did we hit them at the same time???? because that's when i hit the pot hole that i believe cause this.

Last night, when i got home from jonnys, there was a bloke at the end of my road, looking rather frustrated with his car.
I parked up and walked down to him, turns out, he hit the same pot hole too. But it tripped his impact sensor cutting off the fuel to the engine. Saved him £100 on AA recovery as they classed it as an accident.....

the wheel bearing will be replaced when i do the driveshaft too. i will also be tarting up the area, giving it a good clean, and some fresh paint. Make it look new with all the new bits Smile lol.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
Claim the council for repairs but go take pics of pothole first!
Thanks given by:
already on it, as soon as i am able to go take a short walk without almost collapsing from the pain, i will be getting the pics, and measurements. it is Huge.... the biggest one ive seen round here anyhow.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
Where is it? Drop me a message if you like and i'll go snap a pic later, sods law says they'll have fixed it by the time you're well otherwise.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: insomaniac45
Derby Road, right near the green (approx half way down)

if your coming from the mini round about, its on the left. You cant miss it, and yeah, they will have filled it by the time i get round to it.

I am moving a little better today, plently of ibuprofen, and dihydrocodeine Smile yes my body is fookered.... supposed to take them for my knee, neck, shoulder, wrist..........

But, if you could do that for me poodle, i will owe you one big style. If you can get a shot of the depth, and width, and position in the road that would be awesome.

Tony.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
Insomniac says you can't miss it but for your cars sake please do miss it then pull in and take the pic! Lol
Mind and have today's paper in the shot for proof of date!

(17-10-2015, 01:24 PM)puggered Wrote: I had the exact same issue with my cab after hitting a huge pothole 2 days ago.

You should go take pics too bud and make a claim!
Thanks given by:
that would be a laugh, bot have the same shots, with the same paper, on the same model of car.

both in the near area. i wonder if we would get the same amount of compo.

I did send him a pm, and made sure i said to poodle not to hit the pot hole. I sya you cant miss it, but i obviously didnt see it until it was too late. In my defence, i was trying to miss some pillock walking too close to the edge of the road. Smile
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 

Thanks given by:
(18-10-2015, 06:02 PM)Redordead89 Wrote: Insomniac says you can't miss it but for your cars sake please do miss it then pull in and take the pic! Lol

(17-10-2015, 01:24 PM)puggered Wrote: I had the exact same issue with my cab after hitting a huge pothole 2 days ago.

Crown Land Unfortunately, "No claim Against the Crown"

(18-10-2015, 06:31 PM)insomaniac45 Wrote: that would be a laugh, bot have the same shots, with the same paper, on the same model of car.

I did send him a pm, and made sure i said to poodle not to hit the pot hole. I sya you cant miss it, but i obviously didnt see it until it was too late. In my defence, i was trying to miss some pillock walking too close to the edge of the road. Smile

Ok this is getting weird now Rofl
In my case it was the soft SUV that had fallen into the pothole that caused the damage.

we measure our potholes by how many vehicles you can fit into them or by the numbers of hours it takes to get out. Itwasntme
Thanks given by:
(18-10-2015, 10:40 PM)puggered Wrote:
(18-10-2015, 06:02 PM)Redordead89 Wrote: Insomniac says you can't miss it but for your cars sake please do miss it then pull in and take the pic! Lol

Crown Land Unfortunately, "No claim Against the Crown"

(18-10-2015, 06:31 PM)insomaniac45 Wrote: that would be a laugh, bot have the same shots, with the same paper, on the same model of car.

Ok this is getting weird now Rofl
In my case it was the soft SUV that had fallen into the pothole that caused the damage.

we measure our potholes by how many vehicles you can fit into them or by the numbers of hours it takes to get out. Itwasntme

Lol the reason for the massive potholes where u are is cos your upside down mate and the road surface simply falls off into the sky when no ones looking lol
Thanks given by:
(19-10-2015, 12:11 AM)Redordead89 Wrote: Lol the reason for the massive potholes where u are is cos your upside down mate and the road surface simply falls off into the sky when no ones looking lol
Actually it's the UK's fault, all the speed bumps you keep putting in Dodgy
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Rear beam assistance please... (Sorted) StarBenn 12 3,316 25-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Last Post: StarBenn
Question Help please? (Now sorted) StarBenn 3 1,335 21-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Last Post: StarBenn
  gti6 Brakes combined weight?? ** Sorted ** Chris_90 0 1,148 15-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Chris_90