2.0 hdi vs 1.9 d turbo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2.0 hdi vs 1.9 d turbo
I despise clio 172's for the fly by wire throttle delay.. My HDi doesnt seem so bad compared to them but i have to agree with ruan somewhat about all modern diesels feel this way.

Other reasons i despise XUD's are:

I hate waiting for glowplugs.
I HATE HATE HATE the shitty starting and general chugging / clanging that you get from cold starting an XUD guaranteed.

More on the car side of things:

Shitty 247mm front brakes on most.
16mm balljoints & hubs.
Drum rear beams.
Seriously dated interior (although bigger bottom glovebox & upper glovebox are win)

Granted all these things can be improved but then that defeats the object of a cheap car if your throwing money at it...

Also to make an XUD RELIABLY tuned you pretty much need to change the following:

Turbo
Conrods
Headstuds
Pump

So in essence you have to change half the engine before it can be tuned somewhat reliably, and then you still have to do hot & cold laps on track because of the piss poor efficiency of the cooling system no matter how well maintained it is.

With a hdi its a simple remap & exhaust system to see the same 130ish bhp...

End of the day its personal preference and theres still alot of XUD's that i have a hearty respect for! The sound of them rinsing up prescott with massive VNT blowers is incredible.

But all my experience with them and HDi's makes me lean solidly towards a HDi, only reason i would change mine is if i found one on a Y reg for the cheaper tax!
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
But it's massive sense of joy when starting on 100% veg in the cold Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(29-11-2014, 08:51 AM)Paul_13 Wrote: But it's massive sense of relief when it finally starts on 100% veg in the cold Big Grin

EFA Wink
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Petrol.
Matt-Rallye Wrote:Norledge for prime minister.
Poodle Wrote:I reckon Norledge has got it on the head mind.
Matt-Rallye Wrote:Norledge gets my vote tbh.
Thanks given by:
(29-11-2014, 09:19 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:
(29-11-2014, 08:51 AM)Paul_13 Wrote: But it's massive sense of relief when it finally starts on 100% veg in the cold Big Grin

EFA Wink

lol

Don't get me started on veg... It smells disgusting, doesn't work in the cold unless you add petrol or diesel and just wrecks things lol! Yes you save money in fuel, but not in fuel pumps and filters. lol

And when its not filtered properly you end up with lumps of batter and chip in the fuel pick up! Lesson learned there, never buy a car run on veg. Confused
Thanks given by:
(29-11-2014, 12:54 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(29-11-2014, 09:19 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:

EFA Wink

lol

Don't get me started on veg... It smells disgusting, doesn't work in the cold unless you add petrol or diesel and just wrecks things lol! Yes you save money in fuel, but not in fuel pumps and filters. lol

And when its not filtered properly you end up with lumps of batter and chip in the fuel pick up! Lesson learned there, never buy a car run on veg. Confused

Tom as I'm staff now I'm going to respectfully ask you not to comment on things you have no prior experience of, veg will start in sub zero without anything else, I've run it for years with next to no probs, 99% if the people I've spoken to think it smells amazing, I could go on but please pack it in mate, it's ill informed and gets boring to people who know better Smile x
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
I think it smells awesome, all the blokes on site think so too.
I've ran 100 % veg for the last 2 winters, no problems at all. Once it for down to - 5'c and it started fine with a little persuasion
Thanks given by:
No experience of it...except the 106 NAD that I bought that had been ruined by veg... lol Fair enough I haven't used it cold, but starting the previous 106 I had in the cold on diesel with just one broken glow plug was enough of a struggle...I cant imagine thicker veg would've started at all. Plus it smoked out the entire street annoying the neighbours. Just as the veg'd 106 did...when I did eventually get it running...if it hadn't been run on poorly filtered veg it would still be running fine now...

I guess smell is subjective, theres a mini round here that runs veg, no idea what engine but its stickered up with 'bio eco freindly' shite and following it makes me feel ill!
Thanks given by:
(29-11-2014, 03:56 PM)Toms306 Wrote: No experience of it...except the 106 NAD that I bought that had been ruined by veg... lol Fair enough I haven't used it cold, but starting the previous 106 I had in the cold on diesel with just one broken glow plug was enough of a struggle...I cant imagine thicker veg would've started at all. Plus it smoked out the entire street annoying the neighbours. Just as the veg'd 106 did...when I did eventually get it running...if it hadn't been run on poorly filtered veg it would still be running fine now...

I guess smell is subjective, theres a mini round here that runs veg, no idea what engine but its stickered up with 'bio eco freindly' shite and following it makes me feel ill!

But Tom the operative word you just used there is "Imagine" because you don't know mate, you being quite au-fait with the internet, it must annoy you when sheep spread rumours they read somewhere else, don't join that flock, I loves ya Thomas but stop the hating on veg eh Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, point taken.
Thanks given by:
(29-11-2014, 05:12 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Fair enough, point taken.

You will struggle to start with knackered glow plugs mate, it's not a HDI....oh wait lol Big Grin
Thanks given by:
It was only one lol, snapped in the head, the other 3 were new. Still, easily solved by starting at WOT...just a shame it ran like shit for a mile after starting. And you wonder where my dislike of IDIs comes from. lol
Thanks given by:
(29-11-2014, 05:24 PM)Toms306 Wrote: It was only one lol, snapped in the head, the other 3 were new. Still, easily solved by starting at WOT...just a shame it ran like shit for a mile after starting. And you wonder where my dislike of IDIs comes from. lol

it almost borders on racism lol . . . . . if you'd ever been out in a good one it'd turn your head around, well, at least snap it backwards . . lol
Thanks given by:
(29-11-2014, 05:31 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:
(29-11-2014, 05:24 PM)Toms306 Wrote: It was only one lol, snapped in the head, the other 3 were new. Still, easily solved by starting at WOT...just a shame it ran like shit for a mile after starting. And you wonder where my dislike of IDIs comes from. lol

it almost borders on racism lol . . . . . if you'd ever been out in a good one it'd turn your head around, well, at least snap it backwards . . lol

I drive a black car, it's fine... Itwasntme

Are there any good ones left? lol Tbh the reason I've never bought one is they lack a lot of HDi things (like brakes etc) as Matt says, sure you could spend time and money adding those things but it defeats the point of a cheap car, probably ends up costing more than just buying a HDi as well lol. In reality, the HDi used in 306s is old tech now, it was the earliest sort of CR and tech has moved on since.

Eventually there won't be any IDIs left. In a few years time as tech moves on and things become cheaper, remapping and tweaking CR engines will become as common and simple as tweaking as a mech pump. Then people will be wonder why they were bothering with that archaic, inefficient system for so long. Wink
Thanks given by:
tbh, if I wanted throttle response I'd drive something with throttlebodies.

if I wanted MPG, I'd buy a HDI.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
I think u underestimate they power if the derv mafia lol, they'll still be rocking after the nuclear war Wink
Thanks given by:
Don't most of the DERV mafia drive HDis and petrols now anyway... lol
Thanks given by:
(29-11-2014, 06:01 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Don't most of the DERV mafia drive HDis and petrols now anyway... lol

haha errr yes for a while but they're making a comeback now, Darren and Ruan are back on the trail and Dave is pining for it too . .Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I really did open a can of worms didn't i? Lol Popcorn
Thanks given by:
Dont most of the derv mafia build some super bum tastic diesel that lasts for 200 miles before shitting a rod / turbo / pump / lift a head? lol

Dont get me wrong i love diesels but in theyre correct environment, 4x4's and lorries
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(01-12-2014, 08:10 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Dont most of the derv mafia build some super bum tastic diesel that lasts for 200 miles before shitting a rod / turbo / pump / lift a head? lol

Dont get me wrong i love diesels but in theyre correct environment, 4x4's and lorries

Hmm, mine did 20k at >175hp and still runs today...

As said XUD9s aren't treated with the holier than thou attitude of the almighty GTi6 - not to mention, they've got no retard filter....
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Sorry matt rallye but 130bhp on a xud is possible with a few spanners and a bit of spare exhaust pipe.
I did 30k miles on that setup and the engine was sold on and continued to be raped and tuned!! Std turbo, std pump, std rods.
No laptop or £100 map needed!

I like them both tbh. HDi is a joy to just jump in a drive mind. Fingers crossed though that nothing goes wrong...i'll be crying then. XUD goes wrong and i get excited coz i got something to fix!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
£100 map for a HDi!? lol
Thanks given by:
(01-12-2014, 10:12 AM)Ruan Wrote:
(01-12-2014, 08:10 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Dont most of the derv mafia build some super bum tastic diesel that lasts for 200 miles before shitting a rod / turbo / pump / lift a head? lol

Hmm, mine did 20k at >175hp and still runs today...

As said XUD9s aren't treated with the holier than thou attitude of the almighty GTi6 - not to mention, they've got no retard filter....

Where do i look on my rallye for the retard filter?
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Seems a lot of abuse for xuds in here... Did 70k in mine with very little going wrong and it was constantly abused. At the end of the day you can stage 1 a dt in 30 minutes, have 130bhp and 200lbft, run it on veg and generally nothing will go wrong. Its when you start whacking big turbos on is when you start having trouble oh and neglect them.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
30psi on standard engine for easily 30k abused like hell. Probably did 10k of that with a blown hg. Still ran
at least until the rod decided it needed some fresh air
Thanks given by:
Lol could have predicted how this went:

Xud bumboys 4 lyf yo!
Someone compliments an hdi, Ruan consequently goes apeshit
Several people try to point out it's a matter of preference
Ruan continues to go apeshit
A couple of contributees have an argument about running veg

Rofl
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Errrrrrmmmm...

I've had a XUD, it went bang (no comments Ruan)
I've got a HDi, it's only died once from being a HDi

I've also run plenty of cars on Veg, clean and dirty, and never really had an issue that couldn't be avoided.

Does that give me an opinion?

Buy a petrol.
Matt-Rallye Wrote:Norledge for prime minister.
Poodle Wrote:I reckon Norledge has got it on the head mind.
Matt-Rallye Wrote:Norledge gets my vote tbh.
Thanks given by:
(01-12-2014, 02:14 PM)Poodle Wrote: Lol could have predicted how this went:

Xud bumboys 4 lyf yo!
Someone compliments an hdi, Ruan consequently goes apeshit
Several people try to point out it's a matter of preference
Ruan continues to go apeshit
A couple of contributees have an argument about running veg

Rofl

That seems to be his default response, i still remember when i brought up the topic of terraclean Roflninja
Thanks given by:
(01-12-2014, 02:18 PM)Norledge Wrote: Errrrrrmmmm...

I've had a XUD, it went bang (no comments Ruan)
I've got a HDi, it's only died once from being a HDi

I've also run plenty of cars on Veg, clean and dirty, and never really had an issue that couldn't be avoided.

Does that give me an opinion?

Buy a petrol.

Norledge for prime minister.

/Thread
Team Cyril
Thanks given by: