Pre-Winter checks...are you ready?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre-Winter checks...are you ready?
Did a quick video other day...

maybe useful to some...probably bit simples for most on here to be fair!

ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp

(let the abuse begin....)

Maybe worth going in guides section...but leave that to admin to decide!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
And if you are still undecided about winter tyres...coz its not snowing of course why would you need them...

Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Good video, simple enough for most people I'd hope.
Might invest in building one of those boxes and the foil blankets since I'll be attempting a 4 hour drive back south for christmas so...
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Nice video mate, I might of taken a little more effort at showing people where to look for the level markers on the oil, brake fluid and such like and also the same with checking lights. Also you say its always nice to check in the bay alot of modern cars don't have a dipstick at all so you just can't.

I can check over a work car in 10 mins which includes checking extra lights, searching the entirety of the inside and making sure all the damage is recorded correctly in the book so lights, tyres and fluids really shouldn't take anyone more than that.

As for your boot box I have a little more in mine, in addition to yours I have; A bigger bottle of water, a pack of fake mars bars from tesco (although value cookies also good and present), aerosol tyre repairs (you don't want to be switching to a spare in the freezing cold and dark), fuses, a few basic tools, spare bottle of screen wash, snap on lamp (battery powered), emergency triangle, and importantly a first aid kit.

When it looks really cold my snow shovel, wellies, thick waterproof high vis, sleeping bag, inflatable sledge, solid fuel stove and brew kit go in the boot too
Thanks given by:
I keep a bottle of whiskey in the boot, doubles as easy start Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
someone cares FARRR to much about engine bay dressing lol
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Haha....
My engine bay is filthy!!!

Tbh dumdum, my first draft video was about 15min long and i had loads more in the boot box etc.
But it needs to be simple and quick tbh. Someone who NEVER does any checks or takes anything in the boot doesnt wana be so overwhelmed they dont bother!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Can I get the opening line "piggy power" in mp3 format please? lol

A really handy video mate; just watched that video on winter tyre and very interesting!
Could you recommend any winter tyres to buy?
Also, if I was to buy a set of rubbers and left them in a shed for the rest of the year, do they perish or are they good for the following winters also?
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
We get a 'winter pack' every year at work. Consists of a bottle of water, a small bag of salt and a foil blanket with instructions and do's and dont's. We aren't allowed to do anything with our cars. Get a flat and we have to call the AA to change it unless the car comes with one of them ridiculous repair kits.
Our do's and dont's sheet is pretty obvious but worth pointing out some bits;
Keep something warm in the car
If you know you are going on a long drive or you know there is going to be bad weather, keep a flask of something hot in the car (coffee, soup etc)
Try and avoid journeys in bad weather and if you do have to travel, always check out travel news before hand and plan your journey around that and any known areas effected by the bad weather.
Keep some sort of sealed food in the car. Like dum says, mars bars etc.
Clean all lights and number plates and make sure ALL your lights work. Bulbs are more prone to going when you start the car in the morning because of the sudden temperature change.
Have a fully charged phone (with credit!), or a car charger or like we have, a spare charged phone in the car and make sure you have your breakdown number stored in both phones and keep the card with you.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(29-11-2014, 07:29 AM)ginge191 Wrote: Also, if I was to buy a set of rubbers and left them in a shed for the rest of the year, do they perish or are they good for the following winters also?

Tyres will perish over time but at no where near the same rate as if they are on the car. Biggest killer of tyres (other than booting it of course Wink ) is UV so if you're storing some tyres, stick them in the shed and make sure they are covered up so they don't get wet if the shed leaks.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(29-11-2014, 07:38 AM)Niall Wrote:
(29-11-2014, 07:29 AM)ginge191 Wrote: Also, if I was to buy a set of rubbers and left them in a shed for the rest of the year, do they perish or are they good for the following winters also?

Tyres will perish over time but at no where near the same rate as if they are on the car. Biggest killer of tyres (other than booting it of course Wink ) is UV so if you're storing some tyres, stick them in the shed and make sure they are covered up so they don't get wet if the shed leaks.

and any tell tell signs of perished tyes; im just thinking if i buy a set of 4 winter tyres to go on my spare clones, then i want to get my moneys worth and now have to buy a new set every year or so Undecided
Thanks given by:
(29-11-2014, 08:15 AM)ginge191 Wrote:
(29-11-2014, 07:38 AM)Niall Wrote:

and any tell tell signs of perished tyes; im just thinking if i buy a set of 4 winter tyres to go on my spare clones, then i want to get my moneys worth and now have to buy a new set every year or so Undecided

The biggest sign of perished tyres is cracking in the side walls. The rubber can also look dry (if that makes sense) and start to become lighter in colour.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(29-11-2014, 07:29 AM)ginge191 Wrote: Can I get the opening line "piggy power" in mp3 format please? lol

This
Thanks given by:
I did my winter check this morning. Yup it still has 4 wheels. Done.
Matt-Rallye Wrote:Norledge for prime minister.
Poodle Wrote:I reckon Norledge has got it on the head mind.
Matt-Rallye Wrote:Norledge gets my vote tbh.
Thanks given by:
Im really prepared.

I've;

-Let some air out of the tyres so they are almost flat, for improved grip.
-Taken the water out of the cooling system so there is nothing to freeze, and also raise engine temperature quicker in this harsh environment
-Put a can of easy-start in the glovebox
-A pack of condoms for water carrying in survival conditions
-A bag of table salt for de-icing or to season my chips when i get stuck and go to the chippy
-Emergency tights to wear in events of extreme cold, or scenarios where I wish my identity to remain anonymous.
-Bon Jovi CD in the changer, to ensure that in the unlikely event I should get stuck despite my thorough preparation, I can enjoy some choooons.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
I had to top up the screenwash last week...got some anti-freeze screenwash. I think that's the extent of my winter prep! lol
Thanks given by:
(29-11-2014, 06:42 AM)Piggy Wrote: Tbh dumdum, my first draft video was about 15min long and i had loads more in the boot box etc.
But it needs to be simple and quick tbh. Someone who NEVER does any checks or takes anything in the boot doesnt wana be so overwhelmed they dont bother!!

Yeah a very fair point actually
Thanks given by:
Definitely got rep for me; don't really consider a lot of this kinda stuff. Few long(er) journeys planned so better to be safe!

Advice on tyres to buy; going to purchase mine today
Thanks given by:
(29-11-2014, 08:15 AM)ginge191 Wrote: and any tell tell signs of perished tyes; im just thinking if i buy a set of 4 winter tyres to go on my spare clones, then i want to get my moneys worth and now have to buy a new set every year or so Undecided

Looked into using tyres as a construction material a couple of years back, research said that rubber deteriorates/decomposes after 10 years of being left in outside conditions. So don't think you'll be having to rebuy every year, also think of the places that offer to store your tyres. Wouldn't be a good plan if everyone came back to get their tyres and found them to be no good
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
I dont trust the puncture repair in a can stuff. The last 3 punctures I have had have been complete blowouts where the hole has been over an inch long. I do carry a pump with me, spare wheel. If i know the car is likely to break a proper jack and axle stands. Metal cable ties, a variety of plastic cable ties, yellow jacket, light and flashing beacon. Fluids are all topped up and lots of antifreeze about.
Thanks given by:
(29-11-2014, 11:21 AM)lolsteve Wrote:
(29-11-2014, 08:15 AM)ginge191 Wrote: and any tell tell signs of perished tyes; im just thinking if i buy a set of 4 winter tyres to go on my spare clones, then i want to get my moneys worth and now have to buy a new set every year or so Undecided

Looked into using tyres as a construction material a couple of years back, research said that rubber deteriorates/decomposes after 10 years of being left in outside conditions. So don't think you'll be having to rebuy every year, also think of the places that offer to store your tyres. Wouldn't be a good plan if everyone came back to get their tyres and found them to be no good

Very easy to tell if they are perished...just look at any original spare on a 306. Wink

But seriously, they get loads of sidewall cracks and the tread starts cracking away from the main tyre as well. It's not something you can miss! If you continue driving on them like that you end up with chunks of tread coming off....from experience. Confused

I personally wouldn't store tyres outside unless they were off the ground and well covered. But I've stored various wheels with tyres in the shed/garage for years without issue. Some were old when they were stored and sonly started getting noticeably worse after another 5 years on and off between car and storage.
Thanks given by:
(29-11-2014, 11:55 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I personally wouldn't store tyres outside unless they were off the ground and well covered. But I've stored various wheels with tyres in the shed/garage for years without issue. Some were old when they were stored and sonly started getting noticeably worse after another 5 years on and off between car and storage.

Yeh, they'll be in the shed, off the ground and dry.

Which tyres to go for?

[Image: cBCQxj5.png]
Thanks given by:
Personally I'd go for the Yokos as I've always really liked their tyres (bar the Pradas)
Thanks given by:
If it were me, it would be any of them but the Kumho.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
2 of those are E rated for wet grip....but that's what a winter tyre will be used for mostly! Confused

I'd go for the Yokohamas myself, the Dunlops look good but considerably more expensive and I wouldnt bother with E rated wet grip on a summer tyre lol!
Thanks given by:
I would find some on gumtree/ebay etc.
As said, got mine for £105, about 1000miles use, guy still had receipt so knew how old they were etc

hankook icepts I have...amazing
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
There is loads of bargains on ebay part worn, theres a set of nearly new maxxis ones at £5.50 with just a day left in stevenage not far from me.

Just search 195/50R15 and winter or snow as lots are poorly listed.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  All ready Xsikid 2 766 29-05-2016, 09:15 PM
Last Post: insomaniac45
  Long drive checks? JTaylor2005 44 5,446 22-08-2015, 11:35 AM
Last Post: Toms306
  Top Gear - everyone ready for the barrage of.. hbomb1905 17 2,760 22-02-2015, 09:19 PM
Last Post: puglove