Road Legal Quad Bike insurance?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Road Legal Quad Bike insurance?
Hi all, I'm considering a road legal quad bike to use for commuting and popping to the shops and that to keep the mileage off the rallye. One of those cheap chinese 350cc things.

Does anyone have any experience of getting insurance for them as I've tried a couple of the bike comparison sites that say they do quad bikes and they are all refusing to offer me quotes. I'm wondering if its a glitch in the software where its ignoring the fact I have had my full UK car licence over 10 years but its seeing only have a provisional motorbike.

Has anyone ever had quotes on one and if so how much?
Thanks given by:
not really a answer to your question but if you have your cbt why not just get a 125? quads get boring quick on the road..
Thanks given by:
(29-10-2014, 05:24 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Hi all, I'm considering a road legal quad bike to use for commuting and popping to the shops and that to keep the mileage off the rallye. One of those cheap chinese 350cc things.

Does anyone have any experience of getting insurance for them as I've tried a couple of the bike comparison sites that say they do quad bikes and they are all refusing to offer me quotes. I'm wondering if its a glitch in the software where its ignoring the fact I have had my full UK car licence over 10 years but its seeing only have a provisional motorbike.

i thought it was a 250cc limit for provisional MC riders? . . . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(29-10-2014, 05:43 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:
(29-10-2014, 05:24 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Hi all, I'm considering a road legal quad bike to use for commuting and popping to the shops and that to keep the mileage off the rallye. One of those cheap chinese 350cc things.

nah just need car license for quads
Thanks given by:
Hi Dum-Dum,

We are able to offer road legal quad insurance through our Bikesure department.

Feel free to PM me your details and I can arrange for our quotes team to get in touch to take a few details to see what sort of figure you are looking at.

Kind regards,
Dan.
Thanks given by:
(29-10-2014, 05:48 PM)eskimogod Wrote:

ahhh rightho, quads have four wheels yes Itwasntme never thought about it before lol, it is 250cc for bikes though right? Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
125 or 13bhp I think for provisional bikes
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(29-10-2014, 05:35 PM)eskimogod Wrote: not really a answer to your question but if you have your cbt why not just get a 125? quads get boring quick on the road..
I am in the process of doing my bike licence however I work some night shifts and would like the extra security of the quad and not having to worry about balancing it too much. Also the bigger size will hopefully discourage me from being stupid on it whereas I think as soon as I got a bigger bike I'd spend my whole time in 3 figure speeds weaving between traffic and 125s are uber slow so I aint getting one of them.

^^^ Haha yeah only need your standard car licence for a quad

(29-10-2014, 05:48 PM)DAN@ADRIAN FLUX Wrote: Hi Dum-Dum,

We are able to offer road legal quad insurance through our Bikesure department.

Feel free to PM me your details and I can arrange for our quotes team to get in touch to take a few details to see what sort of figure you are looking at.

Kind regards,
Dan.
Ooh thanks, I'll give you guys a call tomorrow.
Thanks given by:
(29-10-2014, 06:14 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I am in the process of doing my bike licence however I work some night shifts and would like the extra security of the quad and not having to worry about balancing it too much. Also the bigger size will hopefully discourage me from being stupid on it whereas I think as soon as I got a bigger bike I'd spend my whole time in 3 figure speeds weaving between traffic and 125s are uber slow so I aint getting one of them.

haha yer fair point 125s aint too bad up to 50 odd mind but get your licence done best thing i ever did..! altho i spend my time in 3 figures a bit too much maybeBlush

(29-10-2014, 05:55 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:
(29-10-2014, 05:43 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: i thought it was a 250cc limit for provisional MC riders? . . . .Smile

ahhh rightho, quads have four wheels yes Itwasntme never thought about it before lol, it is 250cc for bikes though right? Smile

as piggy said its only a wee 125 on bikes
Thanks given by:
Not sure what it's like nowadays but when I looked into it a couple of years ago the prices were extortionate!!
Thanks given by:
Rampdale are good for insurance my brother had a bashan 250cc quad and it was less then £700 for the year and he's only 21 had had his licence 2 years
Thanks given by:
f*ck the Chinese things
get one of these!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP8EZ6xfKT8
Thanks given by:
(29-10-2014, 07:10 PM)Adam-m-h Wrote: Rampdale are good for insurance my brother had a bashan 250cc quad and it was less then £700 for the year and he's only 21 had had his licence 2 years

See thats the sort of answer I was looking for thanks. I assume that would be cheaper or about the same sort of price as say a 306 DTurbo for him?
Thanks given by:
(29-10-2014, 07:32 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(29-10-2014, 07:10 PM)Adam-m-h Wrote: Rampdale are good for insurance my brother had a bashan 250cc quad and it was less then £700 for the year and he's only 21 had had his licence 2 years

See thats the sort of answer I was looking for thanks. I assume that would be cheaper or about the same sort of price as say a 306 DTurbo for him?

His car insurance was nearly £1200 for 2000 1.9td skoda Fabia
So it was a case of find cheaper options.
Thanks given by:
(29-10-2014, 07:31 PM)procta Wrote: f*ck the Chinese things
get one of these!
No. I saw that scooby engined quad in Max Power years ago and it looked big and unwieldy back then.

I want to build something like one of these but probably with a ZX11/ZZR1100 engine as they go cheaper than most similar bike engines of the era.

Also gives me with a good use for my nitrous kit.

Bike engined ones are so much better.

Thanks given by:
(29-10-2014, 07:48 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(29-10-2014, 07:31 PM)procta Wrote: f*ck the Chinese things
get one of these!
No. I saw that scooby engined quad in Max Power years ago and it looked big and unwieldy back then.

I want to build something like one of these but probably with a ZX11/ZZR1100 engine as they go cheaper than most similar bike engines of the era.

Also gives me with a good use for my nitrous kit.

Bike engined ones are so much better.

those sound epic! the squall from them engines is to die for! only thing is I recon you would kill your self to easy. Was the Scooby one custom built?
Thanks given by:
Be warned.. Quads on roads are not easy to drive.. You have to lean the same as a bike, otherwise you end up on 3 wheels, or understeering lol
Thanks given by:
(29-10-2014, 08:02 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: Be warned.. Quads on roads are not easy to drive.. You have to lean the same as a bike, otherwise you end up on 3 wheels, or understeering lol

nothing wrong with a bit trip pod action lol
Thanks given by:
(29-10-2014, 08:00 PM)procta Wrote: those sound epic! the squall from them engines is to die for! only thing is I recon you would kill your self to easy. Was the Scooby one custom built?
I know right, none of this lawnmower sounding shit, the full superbike scream. I'd love a ZX14 or Hayabusa or similar in one as they are nearly 200bhp.

(29-10-2014, 08:02 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: Be warned.. Quads on roads are not easy to drive.. You have to lean the same as a bike, otherwise you end up on 3 wheels, or understeering lol
Yeah I know that. I can ride a motorbike, I just don't have a licence lol.
Thanks given by:
knowing you dum dum, you will just build a XUD or a HDi powered one.
Thanks given by:
F*ck it! hayabusa smart car! ( youtube- Diablo smart car)https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4gseTGwppbg
Least has Abit of a shell to protect your body
Thanks given by:
F*ck quad bikes and anyone who drives them!
Most annoying things on the road, every year at uni during the summer revision periods all the dick heads would hit the streets on the quads over taking cars doing 60 mph, racing each other and being generally annoying. The noise they make travels far too so whether at home or the libaray all I could here is their shitty engines and know some prick was driving it around looking at all the pedestrians hoping for their seal of approval while wearing nothing but a helmet and a tshirt to show off the muscles they got in their uncles basement lifting stolen weights while the uncles watches and picks at his belly
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(29-10-2014, 08:27 PM)lolsteve Wrote: F*ck quad bikes and anyone who drives them!
Most annoying things on the road, every year at uni during the summer revision periods all the dick heads would hit the streets on the quads over taking cars doing 60 mph, racing each other and being generally annoying. The noise they make travels far too so whether at home or the libaray all I could here is their shitty engines and know some prick was driving it around looking at all the pedestrians hoping for their seal of approval while wearing nothing but a helmet and a tshirt to show off the muscles they got in their uncles basement lifting stolen weights while the uncles watches and picks at his belly

I bet you tried to race one in your posh rover and got your arse handed you Tongue
Thanks given by:
I'd rather a bike with a bike engine in with all the benefits of a bike rather than the worst of a car coupled with no benefits of the dangers of a bike!?

Cheaper to insure too

I can insure a 200bhp bike fully comp for about £15 a month!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(29-10-2014, 08:27 PM)lolsteve Wrote: F*ck quad bikes and anyone who drives them!

Mostly the same round here aswell often wondered how they get away with being so bloody loud!

That said they look fun in a lethal sorta way.
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
(29-10-2014, 08:14 PM)procta Wrote: knowing you dum dum, you will just build a XUD or a HDi powered one.
No dont be daft. Also what makes you think I'm such a massive diesel head? I've had as many XU10 engined 306s as XUD engined ones (including conversions)

(29-10-2014, 08:19 PM)Adam-m-h Wrote: F*ck it! hayabusa smart car! ( youtube- Diablo smart car)https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4gseTGwppbg
Least has Abit of a shell to protect your body
Nah i really need a bike or a quad. we are loosing all the free on street parking near work and you are only allowed bikes in the yard.

hahahahaha, not bitter at all are you. You've just made me want one even more now though (gosh i really do deserve an ASBO*). Rep for making me laugh though.

(29-10-2014, 08:47 PM)procta Wrote:

I bet you tried to race one in your posh rover and got your arse handed you Tongue
Posh Rover? Chav Rover more like. I reckon the Cuore would of beaten the quad.

(29-10-2014, 08:58 PM)Piggy Wrote: I'd rather a bike with a bike engine in with all the benefits of a bike rather than the worst of a car coupled with no benefits of the dangers of a bike!?

Cheaper to insure too

I can insure a 200bhp bike fully comp for about £15 a month!

Yeah I understand that. They are probably more to insure than bikes as the people that ride them from the ones I've met tend to be the thick sort with no road sense whereas a proper biker will almost never be at fault in a collision as they are very aware of their surroundings. It's just a consideration at the moment though pending various costs and practicalities.

*Yes I fully understand that ASBO's have effectively been replaced with ASBI's
Thanks given by:
Just buy a dirt cheap 125, enjoy pence per mile motoring while saving for a nice bike, or a damaged project to go in your shed and do up over winter, get the experience you need and get the licence you really want.

I hate quads on the road. With venom. Unless its ol farmuuuurrr on his mud farm quad. Thats fine! so long as he dives in the ditch to let me pass!!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
A lot of road quads are rear wheel drive where as farm quads are four wheel drive.
I am how ever biased toward the Honda big red series there not cheap tho.
maybe if you get like a big red the NFU might be helpful for insurance
Thanks given by:
Shit yeah I know it's 125....i used to ride many moons ago lol
Thanks given by:
"No dont be daft. Also what makes you think I'm such a massive diesel head? I've had as many XU10 engined 306s as XUD engined ones (including conversions)" sounds to me that you are a diesel head, I don't even think I have even seen you do a petrol engine conversion or really go full hog with a petrol :p
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legal advice rocker8742 4 1,621 08-05-2015, 07:43 AM
Last Post: rocker8742
  Road Bike party 2 Pete 11 2,806 11-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Last Post: TheLurchmeister
  Barely legal drivers puggyhdi 58 27,134 10-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Poodle