Joey the VNT boosted 205!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joey the VNT boosted 205!
Things will happen again, and again, and again and you will spend more time under the bonnet than behind the wheel. Fact. But the time behind the wheel is EPICC! Get on
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
FFS man, don't give up on it now! Get this sorted, and get some proper fun out of it....then when it gives up again, i will allow you to think about getting rid. Wink
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
So i tore this apart this morning to replace the broken off engine mount etc, so pulled all the belts / covers off, discovered the crank pulley bolt finger tight / pulley moved out, hence an aux belt issue i noticed the day before. Anyway got it tore down.

[Image: IMG_20140120_122116.jpg]

Some of the stuck bolts....

[Image: IMG_20140120_122740.jpg]

Always a good feeling when there in your hands:

[Image: IMG_20140120_123041.jpg]

All removed ready to put back with all new bits from a donor motor:

[Image: IMG_20140120_123047.jpg]

The all important dowell which was missing...people please remmeber to fit this, its V imporatant. that mount takes a huge shunt of torque when driving and without that dowell its all on some little 13mm bolts, which break!

[Image: IMG_20140120_135756.jpg]

Re chocked the engine mount a bit better as a bit of metal was wedged in previously:

[Image: IMG_20140120_145613.jpg]

Running:

[Image: IMG_20140120_144907.jpg]

Engine bay degrease and wash and belt covers on:

[Image: IMG_20140120_152116.jpg]

Then noticed exhaust was hanging off the car, the cable ties had obviously given up lol, so bent the mounts / fitted proper exhaust rubber and bent the heatshield to stop it from vibrating all the time!

[Image: IMG_20140120_150615.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140120_150608.jpg]

So was all back together ideal, so went about tuning...Took it for a quick test drive, and almost immediately lost the motor Sad Would imagine its dropped a cup by the sounds of things...but could be wrong. Wont know unless strip it down, but left Tom to think about it for now...just typical really, worst feeling the world when you spanner on a car for hours and then it dies on you / all your work is scrap!

All i will say / silver lining, is for the 2 times i did let the blower wake up, this 205 is bloody rediculas.

But sadness all around now...If only id left the mtdi motor complete as a whole drop in motor...because that would be far to tempting right now!!!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
It was all going so well till the end Sad
[Image: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-00000000014E_zpsprynorkl.jpg]
Thanks given by:
You must have a spare xud hangin round Darren??
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(20-01-2014, 06:32 PM)Piggy Wrote: You must have a spare xud hangin round Darren??

He has but its his spare that i've already made him pull the dowel pin from which he really wanted to keep. Not fair to take anymore from him.

I have found a replacement motor anyway, ideally i want to keep my bottom end because i have more confidence in the hdi rods than xud ones.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Sorry to hear that, I had this numerous times but I needed a car to get to work so had to sell him to you. I'd have him back in a heart beat if I had the space.
Just think of it with 190bhp Tom, it was chronic as Darren can see when he was driving as it was probably pushing around the same power as what mine was. Don't give in just yet!
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Don't give up on it chap. All the hard work you and now Darren have put in on this its come to far to not carry on.

Though I expect you need a car daily so I know it is a pain to be with the car
Thanks given by:
Don't give up on Joey, Tom! x
Thanks given by:
for the sake of a head and a few gaskets she should be back up to power.

keep going tom!!
Thanks given by:
A few? I can only think of one i absolutely must change lol

I found a replacement lump, tomorrow im going to speak to a couple engine places and see what they say, i also have a guy who said he will attempt to weld the precups into the head, hes a proper shit hot engineer just never done that before.

Struggling for Joey love though Sad
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
What a complete shitter Tom, absolutely gutted for you.

Hope you can find some enthusiasm to keep going with it mate, be good to have it all up and 100% epic for the spring
Thanks given by:
I have always REALLY wanted to do the hill at pugfest, was just talking to Darren about it at the weekend, i really wanted to be there with Joey so everyone could see him, well those who havent already.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Just get a xud head, most almost give them away on here, see if you can afford some arp studs...

And crack on!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
It was only running 25psi, dont think head lift was the issue. Crazy how many people havent had issues though, zx above is running mad power, padge had an 11mm and 40psi and his lasted ages, and countless others, mine didnt last long enough for me to even drive it lol!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
....one weakness in the build...

Darrens right foot lmao
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I never needed ARP headbolts for my old one, never had coolant issues at all.
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
See now dropping a pre cup was the very last thing i expected. I thought rod failure and headlifting would of been way before that. Luck of the draw i guess?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
I totally agree, I ran 40psi for about 3 months before I moved on, the lad that got it didn't drive steady either, and it still didn't go bang, infact the complete engine/turbo etc is still 100% fine.
Thanks given by:
depends how you're making the power tbh, those precups can take an absolute roasting

40psi doesn't mean anything on its own
Thanks given by:
seen the red xud on youtube, 40psi, 11mm td04, fmic, making 206bhp, really smokey though, I always said mine felt around 200bhp, but yeah more psi dosent always mean more power.
Thanks given by:
Well that pump must be an absolute heller, weird situation though because Darren said it was clean as a whistle at 25psi and went really well, i said to him i wanted to keep it low so its a usable daily.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Crack on get it fixed worth it just for taking up hill at pugfest, and we can compare times from my 205 to (if it's done in time) Wink

Worth fixing tho gotta be one of the nicest 205's around!

Thanks given by:
Don't give up on it just have a damp good swear call it a French pice of shit and then get back to it
[Image: mike_sig_zpsd438fb98.jpg]

Thanks given by:
can Darren not fit the lump for you tom or even repair the current one?
Thanks given by:
He could do it a damn sight quicker than me. I'm at work til mid afternoon though so will get hold of him later and see what I owe him for what he's done so far.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Tore this apart from Tom a minute ago as wanted to see what had gone wrong.

Was a bit of an odd one as from outside had appeared to drop a cup, or at least the noise it was making suggested so...

However this isnt what I found!

So put the thing in the workshop, sadly back to using the workshop entrance again as another car is over the pit ( Darrens DT they ask??!! )

[Image: IMG_20140122_183221.jpg]

Forgot how easy working on XUD's is!

[Image: IMG_20140122_192259.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140122_194033.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140122_194042.jpg]

So after pulling the head, there was an immediate problem, totally incomplete combustion on pot 2, how ever pre cup intact, but after instantly noticing an extra shiny bore, and shiny head face, it became obvious the problem wasnt up top, and we have a bottom end failure. Piston has been slapping the head. So seems its shat a big end bearing, and wrecked wrist pin.

No idea on cause not stripped any further this evening, but would predict bending the rod / wrecking the big end shells, or possibly bent the rod, which shortens it up and drops the oil squirter from my previous experiance, which could have then caused a wrist pin failure..either way, bottom end is going to have to come apart, and its bent a valve, looking on the bright side, the block is still in one piece, so hopefully keep things cheap for tom and build up another motor in the same block.

They just dont like big power hikes on stockish internals Sad
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
You forgot to mention how long it took you to strip it down?! Just so everyone knows, on the phone he said and i quote "Meh, half hour"

Looking over all the pictures on this thread it does make me feel awfully sad, i do miss my noble steed Sad
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(22-01-2014, 08:49 PM)Tom Wrote: You forgot to mention how long it took you to strip it down?! Just so everyone knows, on the phone he said and i quote "Meh, half hour"

Looking over all the pictures on this thread it does make me feel awfully sad, i do miss my noble steed Sad

Hope you get another engine in this
Just Had a read through this thread and it's an awesome car. Be such a shame for you to give up on it
Thanks given by:
Bit of bad luck Sad So whats your plan now tom? New engine? Rebuild bottom end?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Project "KEV"....boosted Mini Piggy 59 18,869 24-04-2018, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset
  The boosted 205 rat - pictures and video added (25.09.16) ginge191 134 59,259 21-04-2017, 10:46 AM
Last Post: ginge191