Forced Speed Limit

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forced Speed Limit
Just spotted this:
http://news.sky.com/story/1135815/eu-may...to-uk-cars

I can't see anything like this actually being brought into force, but the idea just seems ludicrous! I also can't imagine how it would even be implemented on older cars which don't have an ECU controlling it...
Thanks given by:
Bitches ain't stopping me!
Thanks given by:
It couldn't be fitted to older ones... No ECU as you say and no ABS/ESP so wouldn't be able to a control brakes either.
Thanks given by:
It wont happen. This popped up a few years back and it was deemed to be too unsafe and also taking away responsibility from drivers.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Could you imagine being stuck in an awkward situation where the only way out is to put your foot down, and your car physically stopping from from being able to make that movement. It doesn't surprise me that it was deemed too dangerous!
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2013, 07:40 PM)Scott Wrote: Could you imagine being stuck in an awkward situation where the only way out is to put your foot down, and your car physically stopping from from being able to make that movement. It doesn't surprise me that it was deemed too dangerous!

I feel like that driving Amie's car sometimes...
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2013, 07:40 PM)Scott Wrote: Could you imagine being stuck in an awkward situation where the only way out is to put your foot down, and your car physically stopping from from being able to make that movement. It doesn't surprise me that it was deemed too dangerous!

Yes, I've been in the situation....106 NAD FTL! Confused
Thanks given by:

This was the reason it was deemed dangerous. Yes we have speed limits but thats the reason why speeding fines are discretionary to the officer at the time. Because there are times when breaking the limit is needed to keep the road flowing well and for safety.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:

Few years ago I could of been in a major accident if I wasnt speeding.
Car was driving in opposite direction really speeding hit a parked car rear end swung round. If I was doing 30 instead of 40 I would off been in it alsp the car behind me would of gone into the back of me.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Tried to bring it in on motorbikes a fiew years ago.

didn't go well and as said above it got deemed to dangerous.

will never work tbh.
when in doubt...... flat out.
Thanks given by:
"More than 30,000 people die on the road in EU countries every year and 1.5 million are injured, with 120,000 left permanently disabled."

What % of these are due to speed?
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2013, 08:14 PM)Daniel306 Wrote: "More than 30,000 people die on the road in EU countries every year and 1.5 million are injured, with 120,000 left permanently disabled."

Most prob 5% lol..

Ive been in outside lane before doing 85/90 keeping up with flow.. copper behind me I pulled over and he carried on going.

If everyone is doing the same speed in the same lane it doesn make kuch difference tbh
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2013, 08:22 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote:
(01-09-2013, 08:14 PM)Daniel306 Wrote: "More than 30,000 people die on the road in EU countries every year and 1.5 million are injured, with 120,000 left permanently disabled."

Most prob 5% lol..

Ive been in outside lane before doing 85/90 keeping up with flow.. copper behind me I pulled over and he carried on going.

If everyone is doing the same speed in the same lane it doesn make kuch difference tbh

Was exactly what I was gonna say. Most accidents happen becasue people arent paying attention
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2013, 07:42 PM)Niall Wrote: there are times when breaking the limit is needed to keep the road flowing well and for safety.

lmao Never heard that one before. Never have I thought "i know what would be safer here, if everyone did 90 there'd be no traffic jam, everyone would be much safer and i'd get my Chinese home before it gets cold"

(01-09-2013, 08:22 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: If everyone is doing the same speed in the same lane it doesn make kuch difference tbh

^^This.

A 70mph speed limit doesn't cause traffic jams. Lane closures/accidents/moronic drivers do. Three lanes should be more than adequate to keep traffic flowing. Slow moving traffic in the inside lane, anyone wanting to overtake can use the middle lane, and anyone who wants to go even faster still can use the outside lane. All this can be operated within the 70mph speed limit.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
3 lanes is enough if everyone knew how to use them properly. There should also be a minimum speed limit for cars, as lorries having to overtake a car is just stupid and dangerous. If you dont like driving on a motorway or feel "uncofortable" then you shouldnt be on the road full stop
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2013, 08:28 PM)cwspellowe Wrote:
(01-09-2013, 07:42 PM)Niall Wrote: there are times when breaking the limit is needed to keep the road flowing well and for safety.

lmao Never heard that one before. Never have I thought "i know what would be safer here, if everyone did 90 there'd be no traffic jam, everyone would be much safer and i'd get my Chinese home before it gets cold"

Right look at it this way. if they brought this in, they could only make it compulsory for brand new cars so it would take years for the roads to be filled with cars with these limiters. If the average flow of cars on a motorway is 80-85, the people stuck at 70 because of their limiters would be causing more of a risk because more people would be changing lanes to avoid them.

Also, overtaking people. How many people can say honestly that if they overtake, say for example a van doing 45 in a NSL, they pull out and accelerate and then stick at 60 whilst passing? No, you try and pass as quick as possible so that your not on the wrong side of the road for too long and then slow down to the speed limit.

(01-09-2013, 08:32 PM)Connor Wrote: 3 lanes is enough if everyone knew how to use them properly. There should also be a minimum speed limit for cars, as lorries having to overtake a car is just stupid and dangerous. If you dont like driving on a motorway or feel "uncofortable" then you shouldnt be on the road full stop

Completely agreed. I was on a call out a few weeks ago at 1am to swindon. Sitting on the m4 at 70 on the inside lane and i get overtaken in the outside lane by 3 cars, all doing barely over 70...72-3 max! There was not a single other car on the road and yet this one in front was causing the others to stick to his speed because he didnt have a f*cking clue how a motorway works!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
But the limit is 60. Not the compulsory speed.

To spin it on its head, if you overtake and hit 80, you'd have a closing speed on an oncoming car of anything up to 160mph assuming they're also speeding. You're supposed to overtake when safe to do so, safe doesn't mean speeding. You overtaking someone doing 45mph does nothing for the flow of traffic at all, as the person travelling at 45mph is doing the speed they feel safe to do, and you speeding to overtake does nothing to make the journey safer.

And flow on a motorway? If someone's pinging the limiter at 70, as are all the new cars around them, there's a middle lane they could comfortably sit in, they could still overtake lorries and other slow moving traffic, and the wank who wants to hit 85mph has a lane all to himself. Well, until someone doing 100mph hoons up behind them, then they've got to move out the way, slow down to filter into the cars doing 70mph, and then accelerate to get up to speed again. They're the issue here, not the new cars. As said already, constant speed is not an issue. People darting in and out of lanes, and accelerating and decelerating by 20-30mph are the hazard.

I drive my van on motorways daily and it's limited to 70mph. Can't say in any way that I feel any more of a risk than I would doing 70mph in my derestricted car. Not at all.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
In an ideal world though, everyone would know how to use a motorway correctly and also would stick to speed limits and adjust their speed as needed however im sure we all come across people on a day to day basis who cant do these things at all and thats where the problem lies. Yes i know it is sort of giving into the people who drive like idiots or who speed everywhere but there is millions of drivers on our roads and some think they know best.

And i will also say i stick to the speed limit in my work car seeing as that is tracked and monitored for speed quite hard and i will say there have been times where accidents have almost happened because of people pulling out from behind me because they are driving like idiots. Again, i realise this is there fault and if they were to abide by the law, these things wouldnt happen but as i said, there is just no telling some people.....
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(01-09-2013, 08:33 PM)Niall Wrote: Also, overtaking people. How many people can say honestly that if they overtake, say for example a van doing 45 in a NSL, they pull out and accelerate and then stick at 60 whilst passing? No, you try and pass as quick as possible so that your not on the wrong side of the road for too long and then slow down to the speed limit.

I have once. There was about 30 cars queued behind a drink driver then a police car and I did the whole lot in 2 overtakes at 60.

Actually in norfuck I do quite a bit to pass the standard lorries and old people doing 40, just continue sitting at 60.

I dont know why im making this argument though as in principal i entirely agree with you, 90% of overtakes arent within the speed limit but the faster the speed difference the less time you spend on the wrong side of the road,
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2013, 07:42 PM)Toms306 Wrote:

Yes, I've been in the situation....106 NAD FTL! Confused

I have this problem daily lmao

Thanks given by:
Surely it'd make much more sense if they made limits compulsory rather than a 'limit'. Roads are for getting to places, not dawdling at 20mph everywhere!

We all know it just takes one slow person to cause massive tailbacks which frustrates everyone and makes the following people take risks they wouldn't otherwise take because they're being made late for work etc. It's ridiculous that one person can be that inconsiderate anyway imo! Id feel so self conscious holding up a massive queue of traffic I really don't know how they do it. Plus it takes real effort to drive that slowly. Then they get to 30 limits and speed up! Confused
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2013, 09:01 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Surely it'd make much more sense if they made limits compulsory rather than a 'limit'. Roads are for getting to places, not dawdling at 20mph everywhere!

No. You should be driving to the conditions at all times. If it had been snowing and you was doing 70 down the motorway, your a dick.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(01-09-2013, 09:01 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Surely it'd make much more sense if they made limits compulsory rather than a 'limit'. Roads are for getting to places, not dawdling at 20mph everywhere!

We all know it just takes one slow person to cause massive tailbacks which frustrates everyone and makes the following people take risks they wouldn't otherwise take because they're being made late for work etc. It's ridiculous that one person can be that inconsiderate anyway imo! Id feel so self conscious holding up a massive queue of traffic I really don't know how they do it. Plus it takes real effort to drive that slowly. Then they get to 30 limits and speed up! Confused

That irritates me the most! Drive @ 40 through a NSL, get to a 30, continue driving @ 40 and make you look like the prick...
Thanks given by:
(01-09-2013, 09:03 PM)Niall Wrote:

No. You should be driving to the conditions at all times. If it had been snowing and you was doing 70 down the motorway, your a dick.

Snow is obviously an exception. But for the majority of the year when the roads are fine there's no need to be driving slowly, its not even like it saves fuel!

(01-09-2013, 09:04 PM)Connor Wrote:

That irritates me the most! Drive @ 40 through a NSL, get to a 30, continue driving @ 40 and make you look like the prick...

I live down a long road that's NSL then 30, NSL, 30, 40, 30. I often follow people doing 40 through the 30, who BRAKE into the NSL road! Confused Then get to the next 30 limit and speed up to 40 again. I really have no idea wtf they're doing tbh, they're usually old, but that's really not an excuse lol. And theres only a small overtaking place so you don't often get the chance to overtake so end up with massive queues because of just one person. That's where you really a smoky diesel to coal the f*ck out of them when you eventually pass tbh....I miss the Golf for that reason haha.

Infact - we shouldn't need laws or gadgets to force people to do things. People should just learn common sense, common courtesy and consideration for other people. That goes for most things, not just driving!
Thanks given by:
Sod that..
I Black mask Crystal headlights, check out my Thread
Black mask Service
Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Not only slow drivers, but petrified drivers too.

I'm sure you've seen them, the 2 or 3 that drive, .5m from each other behind that 30mph in a 60 car. Meaning no one else can overtake
Thanks given by:
Sky News.... Say no more.

Won't happen. Although I can see trackers becomming compulsary in the next 3-5 years. Now that company cars use them it won't take long before the gov't click - a simple way to measure someones' speed, distance travelled and other parameters all remotely - recipe for Big Brother to get involved IMO. It'll flag up anyone regularly flouting rules and probably eventually issue an automatic ticket!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
It was reported by a number of groups yesterday, this was the first one I clicked on Google news.
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2013, 08:30 AM)C.A.R. Wrote: Sky News.... Say no more.

Won't happen. Although I can see trackers becomming compulsary in the next 3-5 years. Now that company cars use them it won't take long before the gov't click - a simple way to measure someones' speed, distance travelled and other parameters all remotely - recipe for Big Brother to get involved IMO. It'll flag up anyone regularly flouting rules and probably eventually issue an automatic ticket!

Won't happen. They just aren't accurate enough to prosecute people from.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I'd like to see this actually pass. Theres an uprising on the way if it does. The British population is already on a knife edge, the government need to realise this.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by: