What to buy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to buy?
Right I know this is 306oc but you guys all know your cars not just Peugeots.

Ive got to get an estate but id like something different as I use my nad for delivery driving in the evenings, also having 2 kids and a dog I need a big load space.

Ive looked at all sorts volvo 850r, subaru legacy, bmw 525 td, mitsubishi legnum.

Budget is about 1500

So what do you guys think?
Thanks given by:
peugeot 405/406 estate, massive cars, reliable as they come and can be picked up for barely nothing taxed and tested thesedays
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(18-06-2013, 06:41 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: peugeot 405/406 estate, massive cars, reliable as they come and can be picked up for barely nothing taxed and tested thesedays

Good shout, would like a 406 hdi estate,

Any horrors to watch for?
Thanks given by:
(18-06-2013, 06:51 PM)pug_dturb Wrote:
(18-06-2013, 06:41 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: peugeot 405/406 estate, massive cars, reliable as they come and can be picked up for barely nothing taxed and tested thesedays

Good shout, would like a 406 hdi estate,

Any horrors to watch for?

only electrical really, which are easily found upon viewing but pushing every button and turning every knob ((gigity))

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
yeah, some have electrical gremlins, also suffer from bushes wearing quite badly in my experience, view it from head on on flat ground from about 10m away, spot if its slightly lopsided, not an issue as bushes are cheap enough, just a PITA job to do when youve only just bought a car.
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(18-06-2013, 07:40 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: yeah, some have electrical gremlins, also suffer from bushes wearing quite badly in my experience, view it from head on on flat ground from about 10m away, spot if its slightly lopsided, not an issue as bushes are cheap enough, just a PITA job to do when youve only just bought a car.

But tbh that's more down to poor maintenance of a older higher mileage car TBH

Thanks given by:
on normal roads yeah, when i had one briefly i went through 3 sets of bushes in a year due to herefordshire roads and hooning it everywhere lol, but yeah, realistically bushes should last about 60k on a well maintained car
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the advice, 406 hdi it is then. There's one near me for 850. 52 plate 86000k, 16inch nimrods long t&t 950
Thanks given by:
haha, glad to be of help so quickly Smile
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Sounds good does that!

Thanks given by:
does sound good...

I am more of a fan of the 2.1 though....but so long as its been maintained the hdi is the average mans choice
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Saggy wheels at the back could mean the control rods are shot, hub bush is shot. Wallowing through the corners (yeah yeah they ain't the best handling car out there) could be failed drop links. Clonking at the front usually is knackered ball joints, you'll need the tool to remove them.

HDi.... Beware the siemens ecu, which is shite and has a tendency to give up for no real reason. Also be wary of the bsi plugs which if get the slightest bit damp will have the cars electrics go haywire. Fuel flaps often refuse to open under their own steam, opening spring breaks in them. Windows refusing o work could be a broken wire in the door loom. The airbag light also loves to come on at random, blame the seat plugs for that. Other than that no problems I can think of off hand!

Personally, I prefer the 1.9TD.... Big Grin
[Image: Image423_zps1ac08bc4-1_zps15c76431.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Old man had 2 406s, good cars. The door locks buggered about on one of them, a problem with the central locking. That was pretty much it though, otherwise it was bombproof!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Right
I went to look at the 406 I mentioned above and it was a pile of shit.
Beam was fooked, all tyres worn unevenly, paint fade on numerous panels, dash didnt display correctly, brake pedal travel was ridiculous, headlining had nasty stains, engine was hunting on idle and cracked rear light.
I asked the guy if there was anything wrong witg it and the lady garden said.
" no mate the cars mint"
People like this really annoy me, just completely wasted my time.

Oh well back on the hunt again

Ohh and thanks for all the replies guys. I looked for everything you guys mentioned and im glad I did.
Thanks given by:
unlucky man, plenty more out there though Smile

agree with you on the time wasting sellers, went to look at a 405 that was advertised as "immaculate" drove 300 miles to get it and in the time from arriving at the sellers house and driving off again 5 minutes later it must have lost at least a liter of oil, all 4 tyres down to canvas, throttle pedal stuck to floor, has to lift it up with your foot, no brakes, clutch slipping like hell and the cheeky fucker was advertising it for £900!
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(21-06-2013, 09:15 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: unlucky man, plenty more out there though Smile

agree with you on the time wasting sellers, went to look at a 405 that was advertised as "immaculate" drove 300 miles to get it and in the time from arriving at the sellers house and driving off again 5 minutes later it must have lost at least a liter of oil, all 4 tyres down to canvas, throttle pedal stuck to floor, has to lift it up with your foot, no brakes, clutch slipping like hell and the cheeky fucker was advertising it for £900!

This^^^
I remember tge good old days when you could buy a car and trust a human being!
Went with my dad once in 97 to buy a 205gti , 7 years old at the time. Needed little work but the guy was completely honest.
My dads still got the car now lol.

The bloke even filled the tank when we collected it
Thanks given by:
Unlucky about that one, it seems all too common for cars to be described as mint when in reality they're far from it. Dodgy At least you're not looking for an executive like I was... there's supposedly only a few hundred left in the country Rolleyes
Thanks given by: