td04 or vnt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
td04 or vnt
I am relocating the turbo on my 306 and at the same time uprating the turbo so i asking vnt or tdo4

I know tdo4 will be easyer to do but the vnt are all round better so what vnt turbo would suits my 1.9 xud with fmic and gov mod plus lda pin mod

And whats the best way to control vnt sensors servo and progam or vacuum diaphragm
Or straight off pump mechanically

Thanks Daz
Thanks given by:
If you can afford it and can control it well vnt ftw.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
VNT will always be better, IF you can control it well. Best is an electronic servo but with no ECU you need to get creative about your input signals. You can use a simple boost actuator to control one but you need to be careful that way, stamping on the throttle can spike the boost and blow stuff up.

TD04 is cheap, relatively reliable and instant powah. Just laggy compared to some options.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ok what one to go for? garrett gt25 vnt
Thanks given by:
GT22 or 25 will be epic. Just watch the low range boost. If you can control it relatively well you should have no issues.

OR.. get a GTB VNT. Oaft <3
Thanks given by:
Might be better off asking over the vag forums, only a handful of people here have run a vnt
Thanks given by:
I run a TD04 but if i had the time to work out the vnt setup and make it work id go down that route as you get boost wayyyyy earlier but for cheap and fast fit TD04

Would reconsider relocation tho plenty room down back relocating only really for a biggg blower
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
To be fair I couldnt beleive the response on the smaller turbined td04's, they are epic fun!
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
^This

Get the right TD04 and you're laughing, mines on full boost by about 3k which isn't half bad
Thanks given by:
Ashs was incredibly responsive! that was giving power almost on instant gearchange and was on boost by 2700... I dont know which td04 it was though... if you use a smaller hotsided one make sure you run wastegate Wink
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
twin scroll turbos are jolly good fun, pricey though
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Twin scroll turbos won't really be of a massive benefit on Diesels requiring the power to come in at low RPMs... The gas velocity simply isn't there in the vast majority of "Twin Scroll" Turbos available on the market....

If Twin Scroll was the solution to all turbo problems, manufacturers all over the place would be using them, but you need VERY high gas velocity combined with very high flow rates for Twin Scroll to work effectively - otherwise you might as well stick to a small A/R turbo just like everyone else does.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
So i thinking about td04hl 15t turbo for a saab 95 new for £250.
Thanks given by:
IMO no you want TD04L not the HL
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
K03. /thread
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Bitch please. GT12 off a smart car. Done.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Bitch please please. GT06 from a tata nano. done.
Thanks given by:
I've warned you about this before, stop just posting stuff about crap turbos just to confuse people. New members of the forum wont understand your attempts at trying to be funny, they'll simply get confused over what is already a confusing subject.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Thanks ruan the next question is what size compression housing to go for. and the psi to run
Thanks given by:
Couldn't agree with Ruan more, genuinely cant remember the last time i read a thread on this forum which was full of PROPER replies, not random bullshit posts by ginge or posts regarding some on going forum joke that has nothing to do with the subject / any new member would have no idea wtf is going on.

If its not a serious reply / of use to the person who posted, why post at all??? Its just spamming taking up room, and alot of the time, with what you post, making yourself look like a plank....

I feel like a bit of a cock posting this in someones elses thread off topic, but has to be said tbh.

Going back to the original subject, I think it really depends on what you want to do with the car...

If you dont have the know how on electronic VNT control AND you want the car to be a reliable daily driver that gets lots of miles, DONT mount the VNT, just use a suitable wastegate turbo, such as the td04 or even better GT20/22 series.

However, if you have the car purely for fun, then who cares if you know how to make control, just mount the VNT on the boost can, and drive the crap out of it, itl be fine for 99% of the time, and provided you know how to drive, will last just as long, and make the car 10 times more fun to drive Smile

Final warning for the ***head wannabee posting shit all over the forum from me, ive done well to last this long without ranting.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
lol

Apologies for assuming (quite a repsectable assumption) that the OP would understand a smart car / tata nano turbo's are small turbos given the fact he's asking about TD04's and VNT's, turbo relocation and even multiple fuel pump modifications.

I'm sorry.
Thanks given by:
The GT2052 from a 2.2 Mercedes would be a good choice. You won't get the all out power that you could get from a TD04, especially with the merc gt20, but it gives a very satisfying torque surge from very low down. I'm running mine quite high now (24psi, not sure how long it will last at that!) And it will slip my paddle clutch if I abuse it.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
(19-04-2013, 12:04 PM)Ricky Wrote: The GT2052 from a 2.2 Mercedes would be a good choice.

Just as a quick note and serious point; be careful buying a Merc turbo; from when i was looking, a LOT of them have some difficult hotsides to adapt ThumbsUp
But yeh, an ideal turbo upgrade for many
Thanks given by:
The td04 i have is really not much more laggy than a standard k14 but it keeps pulling well up the revs.
This may be due to the fact that it is mounted to a k03 manifold. Smaller manifold exit = higher velocity exhaust gases = quicker spool up?
I think it does restrict it a little up in the higher rev range however.

Great set up for a daily driver.
Thanks given by:
(19-04-2013, 11:58 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Couldn't agree with Ruan more, genuinely cant remember the last time i read a thread on this forum which was full of PROPER replies, not random bullshit posts by ginge or posts regarding some on going forum joke that has nothing to do with the subject / any new member would have no idea wtf is going on.

If its not a serious reply / of use to the person who posted, why post at all??? Its just spamming taking up room, and alot of the time, with what you post, making yourself look like a plank....

I feel like a bit of a cock posting this in someones elses thread off topic, but has to be said tbh.

Going back to the original subject, I think it really depends on what you want to do with the car...

If you dont have the know how on electronic VNT control AND you want the car to be a reliable daily driver that gets lots of miles, DONT mount the VNT, just use a suitable wastegate turbo, such as the td04 or even better GT20/22 series.

However, if you have the car purely for fun, then who cares if you know how to make control, just mount the VNT on the boost can, and drive the crap out of it, itl be fine for 99% of the time, and provided you know how to drive, will last just as long, and make the car 10 times more fun to drive Smile

Final warning for the ***head wannabee posting shit all over the forum from me, ive done well to last this long without ranting.
Too f*cking right!!!!!!!

It gets very annoying wading through all the shit posts on here.
Cant we just keep the joking around to forums in the couch instead of guides/genuine questions section?

with regards turbo, there is many variants of td04 from what ive read, think 13t is smallest(open to correction) and probably best suited to a daily driver
Thanks given by:
The different td04 variants depend on the model of impreza they came off.
the smaller exit sizes would be off something like the impreza 2.0T awd then the import spec sti would have the larger exhaust manifold and exit to compensate for the 2.5l engine. then you get the competition use td04 which are bored out and have huge hotsides which an xud would really struggle to spool
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Regarding vnt control, did anything come of controlling it using the alternator w terminal?

To the op the tdo4l 13t is the most common choice from the scooby turbos
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
pellowe can vouch for the gt2056s...

its a great turbo so long as you dont dewastegate and can be found reasonably cheap from Iveco 2.8s

not bad to adapt either
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(23-04-2013, 11:55 AM)londondan86 Wrote: Regarding vnt control, did anything come of controlling it using the alternator w terminal?

To the op the tdo4l 13t is the most common choice from the scooby turbos

Er, maybe keep that out of this thread. That was just one massive troll to see who would buy into it, after what Darren said let's not mislead anyone in here...
Thanks given by:
^My bad, didn't realise that
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by: