Fuel tank

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel tank
right got a leak in a diesel tank and going to take it off tonorrow providing its not a long job can anyone confirn how long it takes and any advice would be appreciated cheers Smile
Thanks given by:
been a pretty long time since i took one out, but it can be a right pig to get off, some cars its easy though, just down to luck really if theres any corrosion on the mounting points or not
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
The straps with be rusted, guaranteed
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Is it definatly the tank itself? Could be where the pickup cover is at the top or the elbow for the fuel filler. The elbow is quite a common leak point.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Did one two Januarys ago, took a good full day of light (had to finish by torchlight!) Wrote this for .net shortly after doing mine! Hope it helps! it is for a petrol 1.8 16v, so ignore the parts about a fuel filter etc!!

1 - Remove driver side rear wheel
2 - Remove wheel arch lining (to ease access to fuel elbow)
3 - Replace wheel (or not, my car went onto drive on ramp things, but if you are jacking it, doesnt really matter)
4 - Drive onto ramp
5 - Inside car, remove centre console and slacken handbrake tightening nut (underneath tray/rear window switches)
6 - Unclip handbrake cables from calipers ( working from rear, there are bits that look like dustcaps, pull them towards the back of the car and slide out of retaining part on calipers)
7 - Remove exhaust rear box and unhook centre section from rubber mount.
8 - Remove heat shielding from fuel tank
9 - Remove fuel filter retaining strap (dont break this!) and remove fuel filter
10 - slacken bolts holding fuel tank subframe to car, but do not remove totally yet. You can help minimise fuel loss by lowing passenger side totally and the drivers side less so, thus making fuel run away from fuel elbow.
11 - Working carefully (and perhaps with someone to help you) remove clip from fuel tank end of fuel elbow and slide fuel tank off fuel elbow. Catch fuel in suitable container. (or spill all over car park as you learn how much fuel the tank actually holds with the fuel light on!)
12 - Wobble/raise/manipulate fuel tank to get as much fuel out as posible
13 - Remove fuel tank subframe.
14 - Fuel tank should now be free from car and able to be lowered gently and maneuvered out from underneath car.
15 - Inspect damage, swear revenge against little shite who pierced it in presence of God/Allah/Buddah/Dali Lama/Moe/Yoda (delete as appropriate, however, be warned that revenge, however sweet, is a path to the dark side)
16 - Inspect fuel elbow, this would be a good time to change it if its f*cked. (mabey preemptively order from Puegeot, you dont HAVE to collect it, a spare fuel filter strap and fuel filter would probabily be a good idea too)
17 - Remembering to take fuel pump out of fuel tank (not that it matters, it can be fit from inside) refit fuel tank the same way you took it off. Be careful not to trap any important cables between fuel tank and car body. Use jubille clips for the various reattaching (fuel elbow!)
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air in fuel line n bubbling in fuel tank therefused 2 1,134 23-08-2013, 10:31 AM
Last Post: therefused
  Crap in fuel tank 306Puggy 2 1,412 26-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Last Post: 306Puggy
  Pressurised fuel tank? 4WayDiablo 6 2,368 24-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Harky