uprated radiator?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
uprated radiator?
Tongue 
Mines being held together with rad weld ATM.

are their anything that's better than standard one. Thinking a second hand nissens or similar?
Thanks given by:
yeah get a Nissans one . . . . .cool nice and fast . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(15-01-2013, 07:46 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: yeah get a Nissans one . . . . .cool nice and fast . .Smile

Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vie...0646204781

Ideal!
Thanks given by:
Or one of these 2

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSENS-Radiat...4841643820

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSENS-Radiat...48416435e5

One is a bit thicker I think, been looking the last few days
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Oh that's much cheaper! I'll have the thicker one! Will save it. Cheers dude
Thanks given by:
No worries bud! On the descriptions one says mechanical aluminum and one says plastic/aluminium? Odd.

Just make sure the bottom hose is of the correct type before you buy.

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
It's never normally coolant temperatures that are being pushed up seriously by the block, it's always the oil temperature pushing the coolant temperature sky high, from small turbos stopping the gas getting out fast enough!!!

Especially with DI engines...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
As i said, my rad is pretty bust anyway. Car runs nice and cool 75ish but i want a new one for peice of mind, will be getting a oil temp gauge, and from their on a oil cooler if necasary
Thanks given by:
You can never have enough gauges, but if i were you i'd wait until you know you need the oil cooler. I seem to remember Bryn having one and having trouble getting his car up to temp at all.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(15-01-2013, 11:39 PM)Just Sean Wrote: As i said, my rad is pretty bust anyway. Car runs nice and cool 75ish but i want a new one for peice of mind, will be getting a oil temp gauge, and from their on a oil cooler if necasary

Smile[/b]
Thanks given by:
(16-01-2013, 05:04 AM)Poodle Wrote: You can never have enough gauges, but if i were you i'd wait until you know you need the oil cooler. I seem to remember Bryn having one and having trouble getting his car up to temp at all.

The solution is to get a thermostatic sandwich plate that only allows oil into the cooler once its up to temp

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Haha, must have read straight past those two words, sorry dude.

He had one afaik, it was just too good at getting heat out of an engine that doesn't produce much due to the high efficiency. May be necessary if you plan on spending a lot of time on track...
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Oil can get really hot and still work ok.

If you are going on track I'd recommend one, or going to the Autobahn to drive flat out for many miles.

But apart from that it's probably not necessary.

I'd try log the temp and see if it gets bad, how bad, and how un-bad you want it, and then spec a cooler specifically to the need you have! As others have said, over-cooling the oil is probably worse than having it get a bit not now and again.

Dave
Thanks given by:
The problem mostly lies when the oil temperature is significantly higher than the coolant temperature and you then end up heating the coolant with the oil....

Once you get past the point where you're heating the oil too much, the problem becomes apparent very quickly..
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Synthetic oils can get very hot and still be OK, as has been said it's over cooling that you want to worry about. The best idea mentioned so far would be a thermostatic sandwich plate and a smaller oil cooler. Best of both worlds IMO. But first off, check that you need it before you blow a load of money on shiny stuff that isn't needed!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  change radiator to none hdi radiator Leemus 2 1,482 23-02-2017, 08:47 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard