Windows 8

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 8
Just finished playing about with the consumer preview and have to admit it's rather creative for a windows product. Taking me a while to get used to it all though, it's definatly made more towards touchscreen use than mouse and keyboard since using the mouse feels like you've gone into a posh resturant and ordered a burger n chips, you can do it but you feel like a bit of a tard for doing so.

Performance wise it's pretty nippy, been multitasking all my lil apps pretty well and the screen changes flow really well.

Anyone else trying/going to give it a try?

p.s it's very colourful Makeup
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
I was going to give it a try a while ago but I knocked my tower with my foot it turned its self on and wouldn't turn off. Every time I plug it in it automatically turns it self ok and won't go off or boot up.

Just not got found to fixing it. So anyone wanna offer ideas I'm all ears Smile
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(08-07-2012, 11:52 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: I was going to give it a try a while ago but I knocked my tower with my foot it turned its self on and wouldn't turn off. Every time I plug it in it automatically turns it self ok and won't go off or boot up.

Just not got found to fixing it. So anyone wanna offer ideas I'm all ears Smile

Could just be a dodgy switch when the on button is, that's part of the case.
Thanks given by:
id had to get a copy 1st, i havent really had a play with windows 7 like i did with XP.
i read windows 8 should run on pcs that have windows 7 if iam right?
Thanks given by:
Meh, I can see it being good on phones / tablets, but imo a total pita as a desktop ui replacement...I mean what was wrong with a start menu / desktop, I dont need a full green gui to launch my programs...I know the saying stuck in your ways etc, but meh, cant see it being any more productive, infact I found using the trial releases very frustrating / annoying... Think ill stick to linux / win7
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Yawn............have they made one that actually works yet? Because I hate 7, its such a faff to do anything.

Can't see 8 being any better, it will still take forever to boot/be usable once it does boot, it will still be unstable, full of bugs and prone to viruses like windows always is.............
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
I read you only need 10gb of ram for it to run! :p

someone at work was saying its come on a lot from windows 7 etc ..... but thats like saying you have come a long way from being a kiddy fiddler, you're better but never a good person
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2012, 06:40 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Meh, I can see it being good on phones / tablets, but imo a total pita as a desktop ui replacement...I mean what was wrong with a start menu / desktop, I dont need a full green gui to launch my programs...I know the saying stuck in your ways etc, but meh, cant see it being any more productive, infact I found using the trial releases very frustrating / annoying... Think ill stick to linux / win7

^^ this. I downloaded W8 as soon as i could and installed it on my laptop... but it was useless as it wont run most of the programs on anything less than 1024x768 which is a bit of a pain if you have a netbook! The interface is crap and is absolutely pointless with anything other than a touchscreen. The settings are impossible to navigate and have stupid slide buttons. The desktop is there but its entirely pointless... and then i couldnt work out how to even shut the system down! The could have at least have made it a tablet OS or something instead of being the flagship desktop OS. I bet they wont sell half as many as they did before. Both XP and 7 are really good but 8 is crap! It did however boot up and shut down quickly once i worked out how to do it!

Also ive just installed android 4 on my netbook and thats far better and faster than Windows 8. I then took it a step further and installed it on my tablet and phone so i am now running a desktop with W7 and a phone, tablet and netbook with Android 4 ICS Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Seeing some of the benchmarks for it, it does look like they've done some good under the bonnet tweaks since despite being only a preview it bests win7 on many things. However can't help but feel those tweaks would be nicley put as a service pack to win7

I can imagine the UI could be quite nice to use once you get your head around it and if there is only a few select programs/apps you'd ever use like word/internet/weather, but the lack of a start menu threw me off last night when I wanted mspaint and found i had to search for the program rather than it being in a list showing it's definatly more towards tablets which in all fairness the market is slowly heading towards

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Meh im not a windows fan at all, infact I think MS sucks, but I can cope with 7, I find it ok / it works ok most of the time provided you have half decent hardware behind it....but windows 8 is just a power hungry bulky heap of crap as far as im concerned....

Im using windows at the moment, and im not swearing (7) so it cant be to bad....but meh, I can see it working on tablets and phones, just dont see the point of totally screwing over the interface we all know and like on desktops for no reason, it works well as it is, why mess it up me thinks.
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
It's windows. Like any other windows release there will be loads of hype about how it will transform the pc and it will turn out to be utter shite and require loads and loads of updates every day to fix the simplest of things.

Microsoft have had their day. Most are realising that unix based software is the way forwards!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2012, 03:58 PM)Niall Wrote: It's windows. Like any other windows release there will be loads of hype about how it will transform the pc and it will turn out to be utter shite and require loads and loads of updates every day to fix the simplest of things.

Microsoft have had their day. Most are realising that unix based software is the way forwards!

Like apple then? for example, the new macbook boasting about having some fancy display, even though the same quality came out on windows a while back
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2012, 04:01 PM)declantg Wrote:
(09-07-2012, 03:58 PM)Niall Wrote: It's windows. Like any other windows release there will be loads of hype about how it will transform the pc and it will turn out to be utter shite and require loads and loads of updates every day to fix the simplest of things.

Like apple then? for example, the new macbook boasting about having some fancy display, even though the same quality came out on windows a while back

Show me a windows computer with a display that is that higher quality?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(09-07-2012, 04:08 PM)Niall Wrote:
(09-07-2012, 04:01 PM)declantg Wrote:

[Image: old-pc.jpg]
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
(09-07-2012, 04:12 PM)declantg Wrote:
(09-07-2012, 04:08 PM)Niall Wrote:
(09-07-2012, 04:01 PM)declantg Wrote: Like apple then? for example, the new macbook boasting about having some fancy display, even though the same quality came out on windows a while back

Oh that's the new windows 8 flagship computer ain't it.
Probably about 40gb of ram and a 14tb hard drive and get its still slower than a dead dog.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(09-07-2012, 04:16 PM)Niall Wrote:
(09-07-2012, 04:12 PM)declantg Wrote:
(09-07-2012, 04:08 PM)Niall Wrote: Show me a windows computer with a display that is that higher quality?

Oh that's the new windows 8 flagship computer ain't it.
Probably about 40gb of ram and a 14tb hard drive and get its still slower than a dead dog.

a CRT monitor has much higher res than some of the older LCD things. I was amazed when i plugged in a CRT instead of my 15" flat and everything looked so much better. it was higher resolution and the colours were much better! With the new generation of screens though they are far superior to CRTs. With windows the main problem is the registry being messed up etc. You can keep it cleanish by using CCleaner etc but after a few years you have to reinstall. Tbh its usually as easy as piss to reinstall an OS and its good practice. You dont live in your house without either cleaning it every few days and the occasional spring clean!
Thanks given by:
Right, but you also don't rebuild your ENTIRE house because half of it's went missing or corrupt and it takes 10 minutes just to open the front door.

Baaaaad analogy lol
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(10-07-2012, 08:30 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: Right, but you also don't rebuild your ENTIRE house because half of it's went missing or corrupt and it takes 10 minutes just to open the front door.

Baaaaad analogy lol

PMSL, repped because its so damn true!
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
(10-07-2012, 08:30 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: Right, but you also don't rebuild your ENTIRE house because half of it's went missing or corrupt and it takes 10 minutes just to open the front door.

Baaaaad analogy lol

good point... basically... if you know how to look after windows then its fine. Mine boots in under 30 seconds and shuts down in under 10. I admit it does get slow if you install lots of random shit... and also why should people have to look after it when it should look after itself!
Thanks given by:
same can be said for android in a sense though, got to install advanced task killer, juice defender and now anti virus software

Thanks given by:
(10-07-2012, 08:51 PM)lolsteve Wrote: same can be said for android in a sense though, got to install advanced task killer, juice defender and now anti virus software

You don't "need" to install any of them, using advanced task killer is silly and totally not needed on android as its capable of managing apps on its own and randomly killing them messes it up.

Juice defender isn't needed if you set your phone up properly and there are much better apps that do far more and save more battery.

As for anti virus, don't even go there lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
(10-07-2012, 08:58 PM)mark_airey Wrote:
(10-07-2012, 08:51 PM)lolsteve Wrote: same can be said for android in a sense though, got to install advanced task killer, juice defender and now anti virus software

You don't "need" to install any of them, using advanced task killer is silly and totally not needed on android as its capable of managing apps on its own and randomly killing them messes it up.

Juice defender isn't needed if you set your phone up properly and there are much better apps that do far more and save more battery.

As for anti virus, don't even go there lol

android antiviruses have never worked in my experience. No need to install advanced task killing stuff as the normal task manager can stop everything anyway!
Thanks given by:
(10-07-2012, 09:07 PM)SRowell Wrote: android antiviruses have never worked in my experience. No need to install advanced task killing stuff as the normal task manager can stop everything anyway!

They are also totally unnecessary as Android is Unix based so as such viruses are very difficult indeed to make work (not saying it can't be done)

the normal task manager is more than capable and Android pretty much sorts it out on its own anyway in my experience,
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
(10-07-2012, 08:43 PM)SRowell Wrote:

Baaaaad analogy lol

good point... basically... if you know how to look after windows then its fine. Mine boots in under 30 seconds and shuts down in under 10. I admit it does get slow if you install lots of random shit... and also why should people have to look after it when it should look after itself!

If you know how to look after it it's fine? Ok that's fine but wouldn't you rather have something that doesn't need looking after? It's like choosing a girlfriend. Would you rather have one that goes out and works her own way every day or would you rather have a dribbly in a wheelchair that you have to wiper her arse and feed her twice a day?

Bad analogy?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Without using the task manager kill thing on my phone the list of apps that all running will get huge and quite easilly finish off my battery life in an evening so for me the advanced task killer is needed since the built it doesnt work up to spec.
The virus thing is getting there though , there was a big one over in asia not long ago that was spending peoples money on the apps store or something

Thanks given by:
(10-07-2012, 09:52 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Without using the task manager kill thing on my phone the list of apps that all running will get huge and quite easilly finish off my battery life in an evening so for me the advanced task killer is needed since the built it doesnt work up to spec.
The virus thing is getting there though , there was a big one over in asia not long ago that was spending peoples money on the apps store or something

Oh yeah I forgot you windows guys get viruses!

/trollolol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
To be fair, windows dosnt get virus's.....just incapable users downloading and the RUNNING totally random applications get virus's, "woop i downloaded free photoshop, this exe must be the installer " "oh wait, why is computer f*cked up / full of virus's"

Again im no huge fan of ms, but tbh, the user is normally responcible for 90% of the issues, and when an OS os so wide spread / used by so many, who isnt going to design virus's / scams for it...just the way it is..

Still, linux ftw.
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
I spend a lot of time on a pc, for internets, word and PowerPoint mainly, (ok just internets since finishing college lol)....and I don't seem to have any problems with windowd7....? What do you guys do with it lol?
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't run windows but agree with Darren, when I did run windows I never got a virus of any sort.
Learnt to internet!
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
What are microsoft meant to do when you CHOOSE to download an EXE, then CHOOSE to run that EXE on YOUR system with YOUR admin rights, and then blame ms for having a shitty os that has virus's...its pretty lolworthy really...antivirus software is just crap to slow ur rig down, and ATTEMPT to notice idiots making these mistakes, to me its just blatently obvious, but meh...
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by: