Vehicle tax changes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vehicle tax changes
i think JJ's bumming the dvla tbh.... Jus saying lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(02-03-2014, 09:33 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: Tom you're missing the fact that the option to roll the tax on monthly will mean that anyone buying a car will just be able to start the ball rolling monthly in the same way people pay for insurance, utility bills etc.

I still stand my ground on the fact the value of a car will not change, I think it's funny that everyone is moaning on here - just like it or lump it - it's got to be paid - end of!

It doesn't matter whether you pay monthly or not, 6 months tax still costs the same (or probably more for monthly if its like insurance?) and has to be paid whereas before it wouldn't because you'd already have say 4 months. And how can you instantly start the ball rolling? I would have no way to tax a car before driving it home like that, as most people won't. So they'll have to give a grace period at least....and if that's the case people will just put off taxing till the start of the new month, so it wont make them more money, it just makes life difficult as with the non-insured/SORN thing.

Also, fair enough it has to be paid, but so does fuel, and are you saying you wouldn't moan if that suddenly jumped top £3 a litre? Doubt you'd just go 'ah well, it has to be paid' anyway... Tongue
Thanks given by:
(02-03-2014, 08:26 AM)Martin306 Wrote: Also, what insurer refunds you to the day? If they do, what is their "admin" fee for cancelling? Smile They're certainly NOT regulated to give you back insurance money to the day. 10 times out of 10 you lose a month..

I have JUST cancelled the insurance on my 306 policy, and been refunded to the day.
A couple of months ago, I phoned and cancelled my fathers for him because he was working abroad for months, and got refunded to the day, with a different insurer - on 2 different vehicles....which insurer are you using that doesn't?
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
(02-03-2014, 11:41 PM)Rippthrough Wrote:
(02-03-2014, 08:26 AM)Martin306 Wrote: Also, what insurer refunds you to the day? If they do, what is their "admin" fee for cancelling? Smile They're certainly NOT regulated to give you back insurance money to the day. 10 times out of 10 you lose a month..

I have JUST cancelled the insurance on my 306 policy, and been refunded to the day.
A couple of months ago, I phoned and cancelled my fathers for him because he was working abroad for months, and got refunded to the day, with a different insurer - on 2 different vehicles....which insurer are you using that doesn't?

Admiral and Aviva.

Sabre would refund my dads policy to the month remaining on his Cherokee plus an admin fee.
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
Hmm, my insurer was part of the Admiral group, I had no issues...
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
(03-03-2014, 07:18 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: Hmm, my insurer was part of the Admiral group, I had no issues...

Hmm, I don't believe that, doesn't sound like them.... lol
Thanks given by:
OK 90% of the time it doesn't make much difference other than I don't put a new disc in every 6/12 months. Although it is a handy reminder it's not a big issue. My gripe is when selling / buying a car, you have to claim a refund on only unused months, and buy for all of the month you're in. So, hypothetically speaking I buy a car on the 2nd of the month, but don't plan to use it for 3 weeks (this isn't really hypothetical. We're buying my wife's first car in advance of passing so we can get a cheap car that needs a few jobs doing)
Anyway, seller loses 28 days of tax, I lose 20 days. Those days are paid for twice.

Now, there are laws on taxes, and the one I'm going off is you cannot be overcharged. If it isn't possible to charge the exact amount it must be less. This is why vat is always rounded down regardless of if it's 0.01p or 0.999p

As well as the government saving money on admin which is their reasoning for it (what's the betting the saving won't be passed on to us) they're going to be making more out of it. Which their being very quiet about. Yes it may be only £15 a car but how many cars are bought and sold every year? That will mount up quite nicely in their back pockets.

And once I insure a car, will it still take 5 days to register so I can tax it? Because I'm pretty sure that writing out post offices is part of the grand plan, at which point we'll be relying on that stupid website which won't tax your car until it's got updated details. V5, insurance and mot.

I'd say rant over, but it isn't. It's absolute rubbish and I for one hope that something comes about to sort this money grabbing scheme. I've had it with the innocent motorist being robbed in broad daylight!
Thanks given by:
As said. Road tax needs scrapping.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
No, insurance changes are instant on the database, there's no 5 day wait.

The most I've had to wait for the database is a day to update.
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
I don't see why they can't leeve things as it is.........
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2014, 08:08 PM)tomosy10 Wrote: I don't see why they can't leeve things as it is.........

If we took that approach on every aspect of life, we would never progress Wink

The digital life is growing so why bother with a bit of paper in your windscreen which means nothing now!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Has a change actually been confirmed then? I literally just got a new tax disc been dieing to put it in the window :/
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Yeah Tom. 1st October 2014 the changes come into effect Smile
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Ahh right might look into it then.

For the lazy among us: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Not in my experience. I couldn't tax a car the day after I insured it online. Had to pay £10 for them to email document so I could do at post office. Also been pulled in new car for "no insurance" when in fact their computer hadn't updated. Claims it takes 2 days. Anyway if they sort that, fine. But my main issue is the non transferable thing. They say it's so it's not mid sold with tax, but I've never bought a car with a fraudulent mot so what's the difference?

(16-03-2014, 09:31 PM)Tom Wrote: Has a change actually been confirmed then? I literally just got a new tax disc been dieing to put it in the window :/

In getting mine in June. I wonder if it will show valid till December or October as it will just be a piece of paper November and December. ..
Thanks given by:
i cannot really see it making a difference when it comes out, new owner pops down to the local post office with green slip and mot, and proof of insurance for the car, then it should be just updated on data base, there and then.
my dad did this with his jeep, which was on a sorn from a dealer.
Thanks given by:
What about the 8pm on a Saturday scenario. When I buy a car I usually make sure it's got a week left. Unless it's a particularly good deal like my last car but getting to a post office around work was a right faff
Thanks given by:
there will have to be some sort of grace tbh, as they will have to take peoples working lives in to con.
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2014, 05:42 PM)Martin306 Wrote: No, insurance changes are instant on the database, there's no 5 day wait.

Yes and no.

The updates on the database when made are pretty much instant.

The delays come with waiting for someone to actually do the inputting of data into the database (if done manually) or the batch job running if automated. Shouldn't be anything like a 5 day delay, but it can be - and that's a PITA if you're waiting on it to be able to tax the car!

Obviously anything that uses a downloaded copy of the database (eg police cars with ANPR) will always be using old data to some degree, although usually they will run a PNC check against current data before pulling you over.

Over and above this you've obviously got errors on the database from mistyping, accidental deletion etc. It's good fun when the insurer accidentally deletes all your cars from the database without warning and you get pulled over, thankfully in my case I had an officer with common sense who was able to speak to the insurers on the phone who realised their screw up.

The new tax system will be fine and after a grumble you'll all use it without too much issue, just as we did when SORN was introduced as well as continuous registration. It's just a shame that given the opportiunity to properly reform the tax system they chose not to and instead introduced this cost-cutting measure that doesn't really benefit the end user (ie the motorist)
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
I think they have changed the sorn now, as soon as its sorned, that is, its stays on a sorn until its lifted. instead of keep updating it every year.
Thanks given by:
The .gov site about this is still a bit sketchy as I think they are still working it out. I wonder if anyone has realised that it may not be possible to tax immediately. I think they should make it from the end of that month as I have no doubt the seller will lose the remainder of the months tax but for those whinging about 1 months tax you do realise it's only £20 or so?

For 2nd hand car prices I think it levels the playing field and is good as you no longer have the tax remaining variable to weigh up.

I am in the "they should scrap VED and put it on fuel as it's fairer and gets rid of admin and more things to forget and fined for" but they won't. £400 VED puts buyers off and £0 or £30 VED attracts people to eco boxes. MPG figures less so as they are variable and hard to put into real world amounts.
Thanks given by:
(17-03-2014, 06:53 PM)Andy! Wrote: The .gov site about this is still a bit sketchy as I think they are still working it out. I wonder if anyone has realised that it may not be possible to tax immediately. I think they should make it from the end of that month as I have no doubt the seller will lose the remainder of the months tax but for those whinging about 1 months tax you do realise it's only £20 or so?

Tell me, do you hand random people £20 in return for nothing?

If so, can I have your address?
Thanks given by:
Try coming to Ireland to tax your car, its 711 for a 306 hdi and anything 3.0 or above is an even 3 grand basically! moaning about 20 quid......... Tongue
Thanks given by:
Is the fuel or anything else substantially cheaper in ireland to compensate for the tax ra*e??
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'd assume the roads are better maintained judging by felt spec suspension.... lol

(Yes, yes, I know road tax isn't for the roads. Tongue )
Thanks given by:
Should be for the roads though, as we are paying for the use of a motor vehicle, on what? The roads. If your not using it on the road then you dont tax it. But your not taxed just for owning a car. So how is it not road tax?
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Because taxes haven't been ring fenced for many, many years - they just go into a big pot to be p**sed up the wall.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
(18-03-2014, 01:33 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Is the fuel or anything else substantially cheaper in ireland to compensate for the tax ra*e??

No fuel is about the same and insurance is dearer than in the UK! its ra*e central for anything above 1.2, and no the roads are not better maintained Nospeak
Thanks given by:
(18-03-2014, 06:00 PM)HDi--Power Wrote:
(18-03-2014, 01:33 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Is the fuel or anything else substantially cheaper in ireland to compensate for the tax ra*e??

No fuel is about the same and insurance is dearer than in the UK! its ra*e central for anything above 1.2, and no the roads are not better maintained Nospeak

Insurance is more expensive in the uk in my experience, infact my uncle finally vrtd his crewcab after 8 years recently because even with the more expensive tax here its cheaper to insure here than it was in the uk....
although if it wasnt commercial tax it probably wouldnt be.
he was using a uk address, in the past ive used a northern address and it was a bit more expensive, would be worse today as exchange rate isnt as favourable for us as it was either..

agree though, roads here are shite, only decent ones have fecking tolls on them, or stupid fecking speedhumps.
Thanks given by:
(18-03-2014, 08:46 PM)sweeney1987 Wrote:
(18-03-2014, 06:00 PM)HDi--Power Wrote:

Insurance is more expensive in the uk in my experience, infact my uncle finally vrtd his crewcab after 8 years recently because even with the more expensive tax here its cheaper to insure here than it was in the uk....
although if it wasnt commercial tax it probably wouldnt be.
he was using a uk address, in the past ive used a northern address and it was a bit more expensive, would be worse today as exchange rate isnt as favourable for us as it was either..

agree though, roads here are shite, only decent ones have fecking tolls on them, or stupid fecking speedhumps.

Try a modified car and see what quote comparisons you get Speechless
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Probate vehicle valuations Paul_13 6 2,263 07-06-2017, 09:21 AM
Last Post: r3k1355
  Lifting a Vehicle over a Pit RetroPug 42 14,099 16-02-2017, 11:27 PM
Last Post: RetroPug
  Another new vehicle has arrived. Danny Wideboy 7 1,789 08-02-2017, 08:05 AM
Last Post: hotrodjacko