Posts: 19,854
Threads: 581
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
195
Location: Bournemouth
Car Model/Spec: Supercharged 306 GTi6
(27-03-2013, 09:58 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I think half the forum has that sealy jack after i first got one about 4 years ago lol 
I really wish I had the spare money for an ally one though as it really does weigh too much, like 35kg or something. Also being rated to 2500kg it could lift 2 306s at once if you got the balance right.
What do you want, a medal?
Team Eaton
1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Posts: 15,645
Threads: 541
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
124
Location: Aylesbury
Car Model/Spec: 320bhp Impreza WRX
Please, Ill add it to my collection.
Posts: 19,854
Threads: 581
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
195
Location: Bournemouth
Car Model/Spec: Supercharged 306 GTi6
PM me your new address and i will add it to the list of medals to have made.
Team Eaton
1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Posts: 1,070
Threads: 115
Joined: Oct 2012
(27-03-2013, 07:42 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: Wtf is that jack on the right! Looks like it wouldn't lift anything looks tiny, the sealy jacks are decent used them a few times good choice
Haha! That's what 30 quid from Screwfix get's ya! In fairness though it was a good jack, it lasted two years of usage before popping it's seals.
(27-03-2013, 08:10 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: I'm gonna need to get something like these sometime soon, as my current jack is very similar to the little one in your above pic, and is HIGHLY unlikely to fit under the car after this weekend, as the front will be dropping 60mm from standard. I'm on a strict budget though, so I'm hoping to get something quite cheap, but also fairly reliable, as well as being as light/portable as possible.
What are the odds that I could find anything matching this description, sub £100?
/threadhijack 
You can get them from eGay for £99.49p which I believe is sub £100

In all fairness unless you are a member of the much fabled Costco your chances are nil

Believe me I've researched fairly in depth into sturdy low entry jacks and it seems that you can either get a standard sturdy jack or a flimsy ally low entry one. There is no inbetween.
(27-03-2013, 09:58 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I think half the forum has that sealy jack after i first got one about 4 years ago lol 
I really wish I had the spare money for an ally one though as it really does weigh too much, like 35kg or something. Also being rated to 2500kg it could lift 2 306s at once if you got the balance right.
Yeah as I said I used to deadlift 100+ kg but lifting that jack up without a handle is reallly hard work and it did hurt my back a little because since I haven't been able to deadlift the muscles there have become weaker, lol! I often look at the maximum load capacity on a hack as an indicator of the reliability of the product, because, let's face it, not even 1 ton of load is going to be on the jack if you are jacking up a corner, is it! Let alone 2 tons or 2.5 tons. So yeah generally the thing with the bigger lift capacity means that it is going to be nicely over engineered/sturdy and work for many decades to come.
(27-03-2013, 10:05 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Please, Ill add it to my collection.
I wonder how many people realise you are not joking
Posts: 5,902
Threads: 142
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
58
Location: Hastings, East Sussex
Car Model/Spec: E46 BMW 320d
Hmmm....guess I'll just have to put up with lugging a heavy jack around then, not really up for getting one that's liable to twist, as my mums drive (where I do most of the work on my car) has a slight incline. Better safe than sorry!
Posts: 659
Threads: 206
Joined: Feb 2012
Reputation:
3
Location: far away
Car Model/Spec: 3dr dt-s
got in from work last night and the latest sealey catalogue/special offers leaflet had been delivered;
they are selling a 3 ton jack for £137.94 including vat, it comes with a 24"breaker bar, foam lying down mat, 2 plastic wheel chocks and a pair of racheting axle stands............
need i say more ???
Posts: 15,645
Threads: 541
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
124
Location: Aylesbury
Car Model/Spec: 320bhp Impreza WRX
Bet it wont go under a lowered 306 though.