Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on Projects! Estate, 1.8, Track?
Okay I need some advice guys! its a bit of a read but id like some opinions. I know its my choice but i would really appreciate your thoughts!

Im 20 and about to finish my final year in uni. Will probably be living with my parents for the next few years and have possible access to a single garage and car port!

Currently I am driving the hdi estate i got for £300 and in the end the car cost £600 quid on the road, new clutch and full years of MOT and tax. Pretty good I feel!

I still have the 1.8 stored in said garage. Now I paid £900 for it last year and I have done a bit of work to it since. Its up for sale at £800 which i presume everyone agrees is a fair price!

So questions...

1) Shall I take off all the bits I want off the 1.8 or will it put people off?

The possible people interested in the car are either my mates or people off here who know the car and the modifications on it. Should I take off everything I want (gti6 brakes, strut braces, mint leather seats, black masks, wind deflectors) or are people going to say 'oh but it had this and now it doesnt so i want £50 off'. Granted the parts are worth more removed from it so i may as well put them on the estate and people will have to deal with it.

2) Projects. Estate and ... ?

Im going to finish uni at easter and be permanently back down south unless i get a job somewhere else. Now I need the estate as a daily as it can actually go over speedbumps, take all my sailing kit and everything and it can tow the speedboat better than the 1.8. And it much more fuel efficient. The question here is... where is the fun? D:

I really enjoyed Pugfest and FCS on track this year and I dont want to miss out on the track action so Ive been thinking of a second hatch project which is only taken out now and again. Granted I have the estate which is going to be a big project already as I want to FMIC and stage 2. Fit my gti6 brakes. Lower. I would lower it 60mm but im not sure how the back would cope with loads and towing D:

I presume I cant afford to run two cars however ill ask flux to give me a quote with a second car with only a few thousand miles per year. A gti6 is the obvious progression after the 1.8. But would a decent XUD be good too? I have spotted this on ebay local to me and if i could get it for £500 then maybe it would be a really good project?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...TQ:GB:1123

3) Definitely sell the 1.8?

I keep having thoughts. Should I be keeping the 1.8 and making it more awesome? its already exactly how i want it and it would be even better with a 6 speed box! Eventually maybe it could be the first super charged 1.8? D: I have also got the opportunity to buy all new bumpers bonnets and boot cheap to make it absolutely mint! It was brilliant fun on track this year and I dont want to miss out on track action! Problem is... its 5 door so its never going to look right with buckets so if i sank a load of money into it Id probably realise i chose the wrong car as a base!

Then again I have been offered £700 for it which... isnt bad but isnt what I want either!

Hopefully ive got years left of my life to spend on 306s but Im sure we all feel we would like to have an epic project at some point so maybe I can wait a few years for the right 6.

Thanks for reading and all opinions are appreciated apart from anyone who decides to be a massive joker. Id like to think this is one of my more serious threads!

Sam
not a racist
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Advice on Projects! Estate, 1.8, Track? - by Eeyore - 07-12-2012, 11:38 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Track car advice Dan! 54 13,824 15-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Rippthrough