Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worn Diff and how to know what gearbox’s what?
My car is a 1999 1.4 “Atlantic “ estate on a portuguese plate. It’s in fair condition (bodywise at least) due to the salt free roads , but it’s got about 160k miles on it with probably a fair bit of neglected maintenance. 

What I believe it has got is a worn bush or bearing in the diff, as I can grab the inner end of the driveshaft and move it  up and down in the oil seal about a cm or so! 
I’ve yet to see a parts diagram so I’m not quite sure what’s likely to be worn. 
I’ve had the oil out of the gearbox twice in quick succession in September and there was a lot of ground metal on the magnetic sump plug, both times.

So as far as identifying it, what I’ve got is 20CE28 stamped on the box. I’d really like to try to find another low mileage or rebuilt box while I’m in the UK BUT I could use some help finding a compatible replacement.

All the 20CE28’s I’ve found online are actually in Spain or Portugal.

What complicated buying spares so far is when I’ve used the VIN online I’ve been recommended parts that just aren’t the same as in my oily hands; for instance my driveshafts have 22 splines at the diff and 25 at the hub. The VIN apparently says otherwise!

What I’m hoping the wise on this site can tell me is:

Is there a way for me to identify a 22 splined box from codes, or from being fitted to another variant?

Or alternatively is replacing the worn parts in the diff viable for someone decent mechanics skills but only a basic workshop- definitely NOT an engineering set-up!

I’d be changing the clutch while I’m in there too. 
I hope someone can help me out with some useful info
Thanks 
Rob
My VIN for what it’s worth is VF37EKFXT32833677

Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Worn Diff and how to know what gearbox’s what? - by Rob Mudhouse - 19-02-2021, 06:15 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Handling on a worn out rear beam? JTaylor2005 11 3,423 10-08-2015, 04:26 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  Does my beam look worn out? JTaylor2005 23 2,284 23-03-2015, 08:02 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  Worn master cylinder seals (pics) 306Puggy 32 8,104 27-08-2013, 06:12 PM
Last Post: 306Puggy