Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Max Piston Protrusion / Notches
I have searched the net and all the forums and need some guidance since I can't find anything.

I have a Bobcat 751 skid steer with the XUD9(A?) normally aspirated engine in it and beyond the shop manual no one here in the US knows anything about the motor.  I'm doing a full rebuild on the motor, had a spun bearing and then someone left it sitting with no injectors in it so rusted the cylinders etc.  I got the block machined for larger pistons, and got the crank turned and got the matching bearings.  Was just about to order a new head and was measuring piston protrusion.  Three cylinders are in spec for a three notch gasket.  The #1 cylinder (crank pulley end) is measuring at 0.040" protrusion (1.016mm) using a dial indicator.  It isn't the piston/rod/bearing as I swapped it with #3 and the measurements stayed the same for the respective cylinders.  I measured the crank and both rod journals are the same size so that isn't the problem.  Next step will be to pull the crank out but I'm afraid I'll have to get new gaskets so wanted to see if that amount of protrusion would cause slap with a five notch.  Bobcat's implementation of the engine is only rated at Gross: 41 HP (31 kW) Net: 38 HP (28 kW) and governed to max 3100rpm so far from a high performance implementation.

If it will cause interference issues I would appreciate any guidance of the next thing to check?

Thanks,

Calvin
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Max Piston Protrusion / Notches - by Cford - 01-08-2017, 08:33 PM
RE: Max Piston Protrusion / Notches - by Cford - 03-08-2017, 05:52 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Piston Rings Hobo Ash 5 2,677 15-09-2017, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Dave
  Piston Ring Modification JTaylor2005 10 3,033 08-09-2016, 01:59 PM
Last Post: zx_volcane