Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
possible bosch pump problem/ no acceleration
Have just re found the love for the 306 after giving it new top mounts, front shortened shocks, powerflex bottom arm bushes, discs, pads, drop links, ball joints, track rod ends, aux belt and tensioner and a full set of rainsport 3s. Was starting to think the next job might finally be to get the gt2056 fitted and the front mount connected but it's just developed it's first engine problem. I'm fairly sure it's the pump but have just about run out of money so looking for advice before I waste any on buying the wrong bits:

It's currently on a K14 and 9mm Bosch pump with a ground lda and the governor mod. Throttle arm has bits ground off for extra travel.

It was running fine then at the end of a journey it started to cut out every time I slowed down. It was really hard to start the next morning but seemed to be running ok when on the move, slightly down on power and running really clean, usually has a haze of smoke (not coal) when on boost at full throttle. I turned up the main fuelling slightly and adjusted the idle but there was a slight lumpiness. Took it for a drive and initial pickup seemed ok then was dying a bit and a fair amount of black smoke. Running fairly rough and lumpy as well

Then another complication gets added to the mix, while trying to diagnose/ fiddle/ adjust pump it suddenly spewed its coolant. Temp gauge was at about 92-93, fans hadn't come on, probably wiring (will go back to that once it's running). Took out thermostat which was stuck shut so replaced that and just topped up with water for now. (Water has stayed completely clean and doesn't seem to be pressurising and no scum in oil so crossing fingers on head gasket.) Started car and it seemed fine.

I then started trying to set the idle etc again. At some point in the process I moved the throttle arm round to try and gain fine control of idle rather than on the max fueling screw. Have done all this stuff before but could I have broken or dislodged anything inside the pump at his point? Couldn't seem to find a good compromise and then the accelerator cable snapped. It's bodged back together for the moment. Don't think that's relevant but trying to remember every stupid thing I did in the hope that someome can maybe tell me if/ what I may have done. At this point the car wouldn't rev and was really smoky.

Gave up for the night and when I started it today it seemed fine again. Drove into the unit no problem but witha low idle (around 600rpm) adjusted idle on the idle screw (not max fuel) and as the car heated up it started getting lumpy again. Was idling but acelerator pedal wasnt working. hought it was slack nut on arm but that was all fine, revs didn't pick up above 1000rpm, again fairly black. Changed the fuel filter and the base of an old filter was under it. must have fallen off and not been noticed. Thought that was the problem, put it back together and it was fine then after a minute or so of idling and light revving the exhaust starter to get smoky, engine started to get lumpy and accelerator stopped working.

That's the stage I left it at tonight. Any ideas where to start and what to check tomorrow would be much appreciated. I plan on keeping this car so it will get whatever it needs, I just don't really know what that is at the moment. I don't think it'd be fair to hand it to a mechanic either since I've messed about with so much stuff.

Sorry for the essay!
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
possible bosch pump problem/ no acceleration - by simonh - 30-06-2015, 09:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slack in bosch pump? dt_ 14 3,416 21-10-2020, 03:41 AM
Last Post: dt_
  Bosch pump help for newbie PugRy 2 1,980 05-01-2020, 09:09 PM
Last Post: jamie182
  Bosch pump fuel screw broken Forby 0 1,480 12-03-2019, 06:47 PM
Last Post: Forby