Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
De-catting and new MOT rules
I'm pretty sure this website reflects the new rules
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_710.htm

There are three columns. The first is just general info.

The 2nd column is populated with test criteria from 1 to 5.

The 3rd column contains the rejection reasons from 1 to 5.

It does appear that the test criteria line up with the rejection reasons.

Hopefully this means that if a rejection reason shows up on your MOT, it shows up in correspondence to the test criteria that would cause that rejection to be used.
In this case the test criteria to offer a rejection on a missing catalytic converter where one was originally fitted, is that the car cannot undertake it's full catalytic converter emissions test, thus the car has to be rejected.

However, it doesn't appear that any current UK DERV undertakes a full catalytic converter emissions test anyway, still only a smoke density test is undertaken.

Thus it seems that running a de-cat on a DERV is totally fine under the new MOT rules. The test that allows the 'missing cat' rejection to be used, shouldn't be used on our exhaust system check list anyway.

I can only see an issue where MOT testers just apply column 3 rejection reasons irrespective of the reason why they are applied... in this case they would have to apply a rejection that technically can only be applied to a car that has a full cat test.

I think these new rules are MORE clear than the old ones which are vague in this area. However, the fact the test criteria and rejections are split might mean some testers decide to start interpreting the rules and failing cars for missing cats when they don't need full cat tests (all DERV are smoke density only)

I'm assuming other people agree with my interpretation of this? Or do people think column three rejections should be applied irrespective of what appears to be a correlating test criteria in column two?

It's obviously really important for us to be clued up in this area as we go forward due to the prevalence of us de-catting our HDi's!

Cheers

Dave
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
De-catting and new MOT rules - by Mr Whippy - 26-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Re: De-catting and new MOT rules - by declantg - 26-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Re: De-catting and new MOT rules - by Mr Whippy - 26-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Re: De-catting and new MOT rules - by declantg - 26-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Re: De-catting and new MOT rules - by darrenjlobb - 26-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Re: De-catting and new MOT rules - by Mr Whippy - 26-03-2012, 12:16 PM
Re: De-catting and new MOT rules - by Toms306 - 26-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Re: De-catting and new MOT rules - by Poodle - 26-03-2012, 04:22 PM