Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hdi Lift Pump Upgrade (Pics/Tips inside)
Well like I say I bit the bullet and went for a new lift pump.

Mine was showing signs of failing having cut out on me in roundabouts etc, leaving me in some hairy situations.

Bought the APS 255 walbro copy off ebay, £49.95.

[Image: 4equdumu.jpg]

I soon found out the probable cause of my problems..

Take out the rear drivers side seat and lift the circlular flap thats pre cut in the floor closest to drivers side and you will see a black plastic cover (Its quite stiff and needs a screwdriver to lever it off).
Once thats off you need to remove the two high pressure fuel line fittings (they only fit on the correct pipe for redoing them)
Remove the ring holding the pump down (hit it anti clockwise with a screwdriver to get it turning) and once off your pump should lift out.
Be wary of the fuel level float in order not to damage it or the wiring.

Once out it will look like so;

[Image: byse3yra.jpg]

Flip the two small arrows on either side of the white plastic fuel level sender and slide it down/off.

Then unclip the prong at the right, lifting it over the catch with a screwdriver underneath it and the top of your pump housing will come off. (Watch the spring & small yellow collar they like to go walkabouts)

Pump housing will now be in two bits.

Remove the power cables clip from the pump and remove the blue hard plastic fuel piping (may need a stanley blade/snips)

Remove the middle of the housing. There are three snibs on the outer casing. When all three are released you can lift the middle out and access the in tank filter.

With some persuasion the pump will come out of this middle housing. I put three flat headed screwdrivers around it to hold out the securing prongs and pull on the pump upwards with vice grips.

On the bottom you will see the filter/strainer. Well my housing was full of filth and so was the strainer. Horrible mess, probably 14/15 years worth of questionable quality diesel has gons through it.

[Image: ute9y5ab.jpg]

[Image: 5e3utype.jpg]

[Image: 5u4ytagy.jpg]

[Image: yqataju9.jpg]

Replace the old pump with your new pump, which in my case needed the sound proofing fitting to make it a snug fit in the housing.

The in tank filter was an issue for me, as the supplied one wasnt going to fit. No chance. The standard one wouldn't fit onto my APS pump as the bottom inlets are so different in size.

[Image: e3ume9uh.jpg]

[Image: qu3u2a5u.jpg]

This is where I cut a spare bit off the supplied fuel pipe and where it goes.
The outer diameter on the pipe was enough to take up the extra on the standard strainer.. (cleaned ofc, I used an airline although diesel would probably help clean it).

[Image: ty4apura.jpg]

Squeeze the other end of the fuel pipe onto the inlet of the new pump and align it the corrwct direction, so that if will fit back into the main housing, then slide in your middle housing. Check that the filter looks flat/fitted correctly and then secure the snibs at the side.

Next you should cut the stabdard plug off the wire on the top part of the housing, get some electrical butt connectors (blue type) and connect up your standard plugs wiring to the new plug supplied.

Brown into black and red into red.

[Image: 7evyvu8u.jpg]

Connect your fuel hose to the top and tighten the jubilee (supplied).

Check everything is clean and tidy, connect the electrical connector to the top of the pump and make sure your fuel senders wires arent tangled around anything, as they won't be long enough to clip it back on as I found out the hard way.

Then slide your supplied fuel pipe over the outlet on the APS pump, tighten the jubilee and pop the lid back on.

The final step is yo connect your fuel sender, again it will only fit one way which you will see.

[Image: ruhyny9a.jpg]

Go and refit it to the car the opposite of to how you took it off, ensuring its all connected and the seal is in the correct way. Tighten the plastic ring, again I done this with a screwdriver, hitting the ring clockwise.

Then you can enjoy the new lift pump!

Hoping this has cured any cutting out issues for me Smile
Thanks given by: theGAMEisOVER

Messages In This Thread
Hdi Lift Pump Upgrade (Pics/Tips inside) - by mcglynn - 10-01-2014, 09:34 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to clean out your HDI lift pump strainer Paul_13 6 4,303 04-08-2015, 10:29 PM
Last Post: craig306