Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cambelt Change (timing hole alignment)
Hi, I'd like to ask for a bit of advice:

Started to change the cambelt this afternoon. Things were going alright, removed the cambelt covers (bolt on the back of the top cover wasn't the worst bit, some seemingly pointless bracket that fouled the removal of the cover was!), loosened the crank pulley bolt after having to use the starter motor trick as conventional methods were not working, removed the aux belt but then it came to the locking of the engine.

I managed to locate the hole behind the starter after a while of trying (not wanting to remove the starter) and locked it (using a metal tent peg which seemed to do the job). Then I put an M8 bolt into the Cam hole which threaded in alright. However the holes on the injection pump don't quite line up with the holes on the engine side Confused I could clearly see one of the bolts was at an angle so just cross threaded. One of the bolts would go in a few turns but then stop as it fouled the side of the hole in the pulley (or cross threaded, can't quite tell). So I don't know what to do. I did wonder if the peg used for the flywheel was thick enough perhaps meaning the engine could be rotated a slightest bit more, but the cam bolt went in okay. Not sure if it means it has been a tooth out all this time, or maybe if it were a tooth out the pump holes would be even more out of alignment. Is it possible for the belt to have stretched?

The car has been running okay. Would it be that noticeable if the pump has been out of timing for years? As the car has been alright, do I put the bolts in a couple of turns and fit the new belt leaving it in the same position, or do I align the holes properly after removing the old belt? It's one of those things where I want it to be as it should, however don't want to cause issues when the car has been working.

Sorry for the many questions!
Thanks
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Cambelt Change (timing hole alignment) - by Mark - 05-06-2013, 08:20 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Confirm a head hole for me. bashbarnard 10 2,150 26-02-2016, 07:55 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  cambelt change guide Matt 8 1,686 17-10-2014, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Matt
  Big rust hole :( daveylennon93 5 1,379 01-08-2014, 01:44 PM