Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do my own respay or use cans?
The boot lid on my phase 1 is pretty horrible. The metallic paint is faded, some of the clear's come off and there's a few dings where some Muppet has seemingly slammed the boot lid onto something hard below. 

I've not tried getting a quote from any local spray painters (I'll explain why shortly) but I'm wondering if I should attempt it myself.

I have sprayed the occasional panel or bonnet before now but that was waaaaaaay back in the 1990's. It went ok.

I understand that preparation is everything and being only the boot lid, even someone with my lack of patience could do the prep work on that size panel.

I'm wondering if I should use spray cans (rattle cans I think you guys call 'em) but I'm concerned that the paint on my car has faded a bit since it was re-sprayed (not brilliantly but also not completely crappy) seemingly a few years ago before I bought it.

I've also got some rust coming through just to the rear of the door sills so I'm thinking that that would need doing soon-ish so I could use the boot lid as 'practice'.

The other thing I could do is hire or buy a semi-professional spray gun and go from there.

Has anyone here done your own paintwork? How did it go? What would you recommend I do?

The reason I'm not getting any quotes is because I'm also needing quite a bit of paint work done on my Toyota Soarer. The best price for bonnet and boot is $1000 (about 500 quid) so assuming I bite the bullet on that one, I won't have much money left for the 306.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Do my own respay or use cans? - by Beanie - 13-09-2015, 08:03 AM
RE: Do my own respay or use cans? - by kentiiboii - 13-09-2015, 08:16 AM
RE: Do my own respay or use cans? - by cpikey316_ - 13-09-2015, 08:18 AM
RE: Do my own respay or use cans? - by Iceman299 - 13-09-2015, 07:40 PM
RE: Do my own respay or use cans? - by Beanie - 14-09-2015, 05:22 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recommended place for moonstone rattle cans? Iceman299 7 2,336 03-06-2015, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Iceman299