Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
auto dimming mirror Mk2 ...
i know cully on the other forum did a guide recently , my one is a little different so i hope i am not treading on his toes with my guide ...

i went down the scrappy today to try and find a seat to replace my ageing pc desk chair , one of the lads told me to try a jaguar s type to see if the seat was to my requirements . the seat was not to comfortable so i look about the car and spotted the auto dimming mirror ... mmmm i thought , i wonder if i could make it fit my car after seeing cullys guide on the other forum ! . remarkably it removed in much the same way as a pug one , and sat behind it was the exact same bosch rain wiper sensor as a pug ! . so just got it home and i wanted to see if i can make it fit , and with a bit of thought its very easy to modify to fit the 306 backing plate . now i have not yet had my new windscreen with the rain sensor holder as my car never had it fitted as standard , that was a project from when i first got the car .

so ok i waffle a bit , you want pictures dont you ...

[Image: IMG_1056Custom.jpg]

this shows the standard 306 mirror with the backing for a rain sensor

[Image: IMG_1055Custom.jpg]

and this shows the jag one .

[Image: IMG_1054Custom.jpg]

notice the fitting on this one

[Image: IMG_1053Custom.jpg]

and this one from the jag ! , the same holder but is upside down . and now time for the magic on how it all gets made into one .

[Image: IMG_1057Custom.jpg]

first get the jag mirror and look at the base of the peg , you should see a locking ring . its a split ring that pops off with the aid of a flat blade screwdriver . the ball should just twist out , now move onto the three pin wire that is stopping you from completely removing the mirror from the base . sorry i did not get a picture of this but removing the wires and the plug is very easy , you just need a pin to push the pin tang and remove it from the connector .

and you should have this

[Image: IMG_1058Custom.jpg]

now the same applies to the pug mirror , twist the back of it and it should pop out of its socket . i got my drill and a 2mm drill bit and went in at an angle , from the tip of the ball right through to the backing . then went bigger to 4-5mm bit to open it up a little

[Image: IMG_1060Custom.jpg]

then feed the wires through the hole you have just made and then reconnect back in the ball and cup , and put the pins back into the connector , like so

[Image: IMG_1064.jpg]

and then put the snap ring back round the base of the ball here

[Image: IMG_1065.jpg]

may be worth opening the end to get it back on with some reverse pliers .
and after that you should have this in your hand ...

[Image: IMG_1066.jpg]

the jag mirror on a pug 306 base :dance: Big Grin , i have not done the wiring as my mirror is wired differently to cullys so i will add it when i finish it off when the windscreen is fitted . hope this helps you find and fit one ...

Big Grin
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
auto dimming mirror Mk2 ... - by haggis@home - 28-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Re: auto dimming mirror Mk2 ... - by HDIkyle - 20-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Re: auto dimming mirror Mk2 ... - by Eeyore - 20-05-2012, 09:01 PM