Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ran out of fuel for the first time D:
(27-02-2013, 09:23 AM)vlj Wrote:
(27-02-2013, 09:14 AM)Toms306 Wrote: The estate weighs about 1200kg, so yeah about 100kg difference, however being an estate its more likely the stuff inside it that reduces mpg more than the extra overhang at the back. 100bhp/tonne isnt really enough imo, especially without any earodynamics, cruising gear or cruise control, and obviously anything extra inside reduces that power:weight even further. It always feels like its struggling and 'cant be arsed' tbh, both mine and Rowells felt the same so its not just that mines broken in this case, but maybe its because I got used to a car that didn't struggle...until I ruined it with a big laggy turbo.

However, I've got an idea the Y reg HDis had a slight management change, to make sure the emmisions were low enough for the 'new' tax system. Could be completely wrong but all the high mpg HDis seem to be newer ones (yours, Kezzieboys, oil-burners, etc) which are all Ys. Might just be a coincidence though.

Mines W reg!
Just service your car I'm sure you'll start to see a bit more economy out of it, you are either driving it incredibly wrong or the car is broken

It had a fresh service when I bought it as the owner couldn't find the service info...everything seemed clean, then I found out it had only been 3 months before (papers were stuck together in the SH) so that was a waste as well.

It's well beyond servicing/fixing now though. But thats for another thread, I'll stop filling Sams thread with shit now.

(27-02-2013, 09:27 AM)C.A.R. Wrote: Surely coincidence seeing as mine has a remap?

Regardless, they serve a purpose - they're cheap and economical. Are they as economical as a car which costs twice as much on the used market? No, but you would have to do some serious mileage to outweigh those costs.

A 306 HDi is shed money. A used VW is a ripoff.

Regarding the extra weight thing you mention - this is also total bollocks. Once a car is moving it matters very little how much it weighs. The 406 Hdi with the same 90hp engine? 55-60mpg, 1350kg.

But remaps aren't all the same though, if they used a 'better' system on the newer ones (not sure what numbers they used for those) then a remap shouldn't make it worse, better if anything! I don't really understand exactly how ECUs and maps work though, so I could be wrong.

Its not just the poor economy though, its the fact the tax on mine costs £220 a year...thats more than scrap value of the car! And costs more to insure than a golf or mondeo for some reason (seen as boy racer cars I guess). Then theres all the parts that need replacing, parts on thier own are a little cheaper most of the time for peugeots, but labour is still the same for things that need doing at a garage (I can't weld, I cant change bearings, I have no space to change a clutch), and in my experience they do break much more often, and get through a lot more wear and tear items as well, maybe I'm just unlucky and everything happens when the car gets to me due to the crap roads round here and the salty sea air rusting things, but thats just my experience.

And its getting the weight to move thats the issue, always seem to be on the throttle, and round town/villages with extra weight it's all stop start so terrible economy there.

As said above, thats now the last I'm saying on the subject.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Ran out of fuel for the first time D: - by Eeyore - 26-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Ran out of fuel for the first time D: - by vlj - 26-02-2013, 10:55 PM
Ran out of fuel for the first time D: - by vlj - 27-02-2013, 09:23 AM
RE: Ran out of fuel for the first time D: - by Toms306 - 27-02-2013, 09:39 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hammer time ... no wait MOT time, err same thing! Megamonkey 13 13,803 19-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Last Post: Megamonkey