Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
thoroughly had enough of gti ownership
I've always said the GTi6 is a good fast road car - if you're up around the 50-120mph mark, they're actually great... HOWEVER...

They have a SHIT gearbox for anything twisty, you'll find yourself dropping to first ALL the time, it's too long - or it's just the typical GTi6 dead spot until 5k and then it does something, unless you KNOW the road and know EXACTLY what gear to be in, I just found it frustrating that it's never ready to deliver full power.

The gearbox is just WAY WAY WAY too long for the power the engine has, give the engine another 40hp coming in at the same RPM and it'd be absolutely PERFECT.

The best way of describing a GTi6 vs a Diesel - A GTi6 keeping to the national speed limits has only TWO options for full power - battering off the limiter at 45mph or battering off the limiter at 65mph in second - near enough everywhere else it's pretty dead and you're building up to that. A Diesel however will have four options for full power, but you can also just wait a little and you KNOW the turbo will soon spool and the front end will lift up and the car will be then rocketing forwards on a massive surge of torque, if you can change quick enough you'll be STRAIGHT back on the power. A GTi6 simply can't do that, you're ALWAYS building to full power, chasing the revs - great for a trackday, but near useless for every day driving on slower 20-60mph twisty B-Roads that I seem to drive on every day.

Don't get me wrong, there were times I got in the GTi6, hooned it and though f*ck me this is good to drive, but the times I get in the Diesel in the same shell and think f*ck me this is brilliant happens way more... AND to top it all off, the Diesel costs me HALF as much to run!

Personal opinion, my Diesel sounds better than my GTi6 did... Cannot f*cking STAND the typical K&N 57i induction drone of a GTi6, just sounds someone farting down a drainpipe vs the turbo induced whistling racket of hearing each valve open and close on a diesel...

Barrrrp vs Raghghghghghgh
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: thoroughly had enough of gti ownership - by Ruan - 21-02-2013, 12:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reflections after 6 months ownership oldboy 5 3,062 23-04-2019, 10:48 AM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset
  Reflections after 6 months ownership oldboy 2 1,833 11-03-2019, 10:40 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Might be leaving Peugeot ownership lewisdmz 14 3,029 02-08-2014, 10:24 PM
Last Post: toseland