beam tube advice..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
beam tube advice..
need some advice on the beam i've just stripped is the tube ok to use again? no expert on these atall first one ive taken fully apart!

[Image: IMAG0080_zpsdngwi4t7.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0077_zpstzbaxiyk.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'd say its not reusable with standard roller bearings, could be saved with bronze bearings though.
Tinkerer of 306gti6 trackday racer, less stuff, more hard, more umpf, more stop.
Thanks given by:
(08-11-2014, 03:11 PM)Janne L Wrote: I'd say its not reusable with standard roller bearings, could be saved with bronze bearings though.

Not what I wanted to hear lol

Tell me more about bronze bearings pros and cons to them?
Thanks given by:
Never heard of bronze bearings being used before. Id like to hear more to.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Its a phosphor bronze bush. Anyway, that tube looks fine, sand out any high points from the scratches and push the new bearing in
Thanks given by:
bronze bushes are not readily available though are they? I'd be interested in some if they were...
Thanks given by:
They look fine to me to. If the new bearings fit without any gaps it'll be fine.
Thanks given by:
while its apart, any easy way/convienient way of fitting a grease nipple/nipples
Thanks given by:
There is no point in fitting nipples.

As long as the seals are good you and you set them up right you won't get any problems.

My beam had done over 300k mile and it was only when I notice the seals had split did I start getting issues.
Thanks given by:
I can tell you from my beam building experience i developed a tube for a customer where the tube was chopped in 2 places just after the inner bearings and capped off, the tube was then welded back together and then each bearing was given a grease nipple. The axle its self lasted no longer than a ordinary axle. Needle bearings arent grease dependent, from what ive found over the years is the main reasoning for failing axles is badly manufactured trailing arm shafts and badly installed bearings, cheap seals and ovalled tubes. I have had a few dead tubes machined and then sleeved but for the effort and cost it takes id rather use another good tube.
Thanks given by:
Seen loads with grease nipples in and it just fills the tube up with grease as the bearings are sealed or run so tightly so to speak on the arm no grease can enter anyway, the only thing it did was make the ARB come out with ease, the tube and arms where all still scrap, Having cars stood around doesn't help either
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
I filled mine with grease and put a couple of nipples in aswell, must take it apart some time to see how it held up.
Thanks given by:
my thinking was if the tube etc was full of grease then no water would get in, the real enemy.....seen many a mini etc with the trailing arms buggered and full of water, they had a nipple ( of an owner in there case ) with needle roller bearing and seal etc .......the bronze bush idea would benefit from a nipple or 2......... 
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dipstick tube removal pbeardmore 1 1,673 03-04-2021, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Martin306
  rear axle beam tube quality dsm482 10 3,905 22-12-2017, 02:01 AM
Last Post: dsm482
  Rear beam repair advice doogle-d turbo 2 1,041 05-07-2016, 09:26 AM
Last Post: doogle-d turbo