Recommend me an air filter..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommend me an air filter..
After installing the new turbo inlet piping, im in need for a decent filter...

something which isnt small and restrictive, but then again a decent quality filter.

Ideally i dont want to be spending a bomb on one, so a reasonably priced one....

but the main criteria, it must be BIG-enough
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Green cotton filters are amazing!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
quite pricey though??

also, can't see any on the bay..?
Thanks given by:
Filter?! whats that again?? lol

Just get something epically huge, larger surface area = more flow! Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:Filter?! whats that again?? lol

Just get something epically huge, larger surface area = more flow! Smile

this is what im looking for... at the moment i've just bodged the standard filter onto the end of the 57mm tubing :|
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:this is what im looking for... at the moment i've just bodged the standard filter onto the end of the 57mm tubing :|

Personally I would go for something like one of these.......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-PERFORM ... 1077wt_754

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-PER ... _857wt_754

Unless your after something better quality in which case you will need to part with more money lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
cheers mark, its no need for anything special induction wise, the turbo will be sucking enough up as it is... just wary of trees going through there ninja
Thanks given by:
Thats what I though, in which case either of those will be fine IMO, Dave (Ha11) has some videos somewhere of all sorts going through a turbo (i'm talking like entire paint brushes, gravel etc) and it was fine though lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:Thats what I though, in which case either of those will be fine IMO, Dave (Ha11) has some videos somewhere of all sorts going through a turbo (i'm talking like entire paint brushes, gravel etc) and it was fine though lol

yeh i sort that one, thats insane... but still running a stock turbo im not tempted to risk that and having to change it over, when i can fork out a tenner for a filter 8-)

ran pipe-free the other day ... and ooohhh emm gee... the sound is worth re-locating the turbo Sad
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:yeh i sort that one, thats insane... but still running a stock turbo im not tempted to risk that and having to change it over, when i can fork out a tenner for a filter 8-)

ran pipe-free the other day ... and ooohhh emm gee... the sound is worth re-locating the turbo Sad

You want to hear mine, straight in the front of the turbo, TD04L, 30+ PSI, been accused of having a dump valve by 2 people now due to the noise, why relocate the turbo Big Grin
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:
ginge191 Wrote:yeh i sort that one, thats insane... but still running a stock turbo im not tempted to risk that and having to change it over, when i can fork out a tenner for a filter 8-)

You want to hear mine, straight in the front of the turbo, TD04L, 30+ PSI, been accused of having a dump valve by 2 people now due to the noise, why relocate the turbo Big Grin

because over on this remote part of the country, 120bhp+ is pointless, proved by the rolled beemers, civics, GTIs, VTEC's and the rest vaggagaya....

this is an island spec car Tongue
Thanks given by:
What about this it's what I have and they are rather large

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 7873561381
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
^^ nice find Jonny, and a post that isn't complete spam, I'm impressed lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
I don't always spam you know haha
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Only 4 hours left too.. ginge! Get this!
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I run a Supra twin turbo green cotton filter on mine. Flows enough air for 650hp of turbo petrol power... hasn't restricted me yet! Smile
JP
Thanks given by:
I run a supra turbo piper cross filter on my 1.4!

Adds like 50bhp!!!
Thanks given by:
Ginge has a ripspeed filter on his car... hes too cool
Thanks given by:
Rip speed ftw innit!!!
Thanks given by:
Foxy-jim Wrote:Rip speed ftw innit!!!
Yeah boi... shame he didnt get the ripspeed decals to on the car :-(
Thanks given by:
its a TEMPORARY oil breather... :roll: going to get a catch tank sorted..

[Image: 395438_10151275741115632_765675631_22622...9327_n.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Rip speed decals and wheels go well!
Thanks given by:
Foxy-jim Wrote:Rip speed decals and wheels go well!

dont judge me on a ripspeed oil breather - catch tank is on the way, it's temporary!
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:
Foxy-jim Wrote:Rip speed decals and wheels go well!

dont judge me on a ripspeed oil breather - catch tank is on the way, it's temporary!
that oil filter breather will become blocked in about 2 seconds trust me, just run without one . . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Mattcheese31 Wrote:that oil filter breather will become blocked in about 2 seconds trust me, just run without one . . .Smile

i would do but the current piping wont reach to the bottom of the engine and i dont fancy spraying my engine in oil!
as soon as the catch tank arrives i'll get it on
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:
Mattcheese31 Wrote:that oil filter breather will become blocked in about 2 seconds trust me, just run without one . . .Smile

i would do but the current piping wont reach to the bottom of the engine and i dont fancy spraying my engine in oil!
as soon as the catch tank arrives i'll get it on
why?? . . .prevents rust don'tcha know . . . .Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Dude TBH a £10 ebay special will be as good as anything else thats under £50.
Thanks given by:
Dum-Dum Wrote:Dude TBH a £10 ebay special will be as good as anything else thats under £50.

Not sure I buy that mate. A cheap and cheerful air filter with small diameter simply won't be able to flow enough air for a decent size turbo on a non-throttled engine. Also, filtration will probably be non-existant.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
jammapic Wrote:
Dum-Dum Wrote:Dude TBH a £10 ebay special will be as good as anything else thats under £50.

Not sure I buy that mate. A cheap and cheerful air filter with small diameter simply won't be able to flow enough air for a decent size turbo on a non-throttled engine. Also, filtration will probably be non-existant.

JP

Even the cheap ones these days have 70mm+ outlets and most have a second inverted cone in the top for extra filtration.

Yes the filtration isnt as good as an oem filter but then neither are most aftermarket ones.

Lets put it like this, on my SLDT running a maxxed 9mm gov modded bosch and T2 I noticed no gain in power when the filter was removed and the inlet wasnt exactly full of shite.
Thanks given by:
i ran de-filtered, and i ran with this new filter, and there is little, to no diffence in spool up - so im happy.

just looking at getting a vent installed for it now.
Thanks given by: