MOT Fail - Mk6 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MOT Fail - Mk6 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec
So, hopefully someone can help me, it's kinda urgent as I'm running out of temp insurance for the retest now. Confused

Bought the above car to fix and sell, so far it's been easy fixes, however it failed MOT today. Sad

1. Emissions not tested - engine fan won't come on so temp was rising.

Fan spins up with a direct 12v but I can't get it to work on the car. Doesn't even come on with the AC though the AC still works fine (odd I know!). Checked fuses and relay, both good (swapped for others as well). Any idea where the temp sensor is on the 1.4? Also is it only one sensor on these as the gauge reads perfectly.

2. Rear brake imbalance - I f*cking hate drum brakes. They always cause me issues! Anyone know how easy these ones are to strip down? Are they bolted or are they the horrible interference bearing style like 306 ones?

Oh and I really need to fix this tonight or early tomorrow morning if possible! (Ideally no hammering Confused ).

Cheers
Tom
Thanks given by:
Booo! hope it all comes good!
Thanks given by:
Tom do not take the temperature reading on the dash as gospel. Modern cars do not have live gauges like older cars do and will only swing above "normal" when it all really starts to go wrong.
Ive never worked on a MK6 so can't really offer too much advice other than check all connections, check earths and see if you can get a pin out diagram for the car. I assume the fans will probably be controlled by the ECU. The chances of the ECU not doing its job is very slim unless its not getting a correct input.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Lol, thanks.

Also, does anyone know what the small cylinder thing at the bottom of the fan cowling? Some sort of resistor or fuse or something? Will that be causing issues whatever it is?

True Niall, its a digital guage anyway lol, but it does move into 'overheat' position so should bring Tue fan on at that surely.

I left ky handheld reader in the focus at the garage but will test temp with that when I bring it home.
Thanks given by:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fiesta+...ent=safari
Thanks given by:
fan side of things will be a faulty sensor, as the ecu might not be getting a proper reading, even though you gauge sensor is working,
As for rear drums, you wouldn't need to mess about with rear bearings, as that will just come off with the hub I would have thought, when you remove the drum, but you might just need to adjust them, as they do need adjustments now and again.

My dad has said, get the arse end jacked up and get a mate to put his foot on the brake, while he has his foot on the brake, see if you can turn the rear wheel. If you can, then adjust it, and do the same on the other side. If that fails, then you will need to put new shoes in.
Thanks given by:
The drums are supposed to come off with the hub as one, there will be 4 bolts from behind and a bit of levering, hammering and they'll come out, but no one usually does that and just takes the hub nuts off and do it that way, if you want to me the reg I'll get you the hub nut torque setting, not 100% sure but 270nm sounds familiar lol
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
found this on a ford site,
There are 2 relays both passing through fuse number 4 in the engine bay fuse box. 40 amp.
The fan is switched on by the engine control module from the signal sent by the coolant temperature SENSOR (CTS). Unless the ECM gets the correct reading then the fan will not be switched on. So plug it in to a diagnostic tool and see what reading the ECM is seeing. The tool should also be able to run the fan at slow and fast speed to check both relays and the circuits.
Thanks given by:
Not sure that's for my Fiesta Vincent, I don't have an engine bay fuse box, just a single relay and 30a fuse in the interior fusebox.

I still can't find the coolant temp sensor - how have they managed to hide it so well? lol

Cheers Connor, really didn't want to have to be hammering if I could help it, obviously can't do that tonight lol.
Thanks given by:
what age is the fiesta tom?
Thanks given by:
tom what year car is yours?
Thanks given by:
Its the 2002.25 model year lol, earliest Mk6 I believe. 1388cc 'Zetec' engine. Smile
Thanks given by:
Run a temp 12v from the battery to fan to earth for the sake of the MOT test. The fan not working is not a fail, just your tester is being cautious.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Sensor seems to work...

Photo uploads suck!

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks given by:
(27-07-2015, 08:36 PM)C2K Wrote: Run a temp 12v from the battery to fan to earth for the sake of the MOT test. The fan not working is not a fail, just your tester is being cautious.

That's not a bad idea actually! Still want it sorted properly though.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, hard wire it for now, get it tested having sorted the brakes and fix the fan later
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(27-07-2015, 08:56 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Sensor seems to work...

Photo uploads suck!
Wow! Most new or clueless drivers wouldn't even notice that little temp pointer until its too late :-(
Thanks given by:
Yeah, seems like a plan. I'm stumped by what else to try for the fan though, sensor was my last hope lol...

This is what's bottom corner of the fan cowling btw, seems it is a resistor (a damn expensive one!), is that likely to have failed and stop the fan? Would think it should still work on full though or have I got the wrong end of the stick here?

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_fie..._c_697.htm
Thanks given by:
copied from talkford website! but i would of though too the high speed fan should kick in though

Resister for low fan speed.

Without it only high fan speed will work.

You will also find if failed the fan doesn't start up when you switch on the Aircon.

It's a common failure, costs about £50 to buy though.
Thanks given by:
Had a thought last night, if I bridge the plug for that resistor, the fan will run whenever it should, but at full speed everytime, right?
Thanks given by:
Easiest drums ever lol, Peugeots make me assume everything's difficult haha. Also got fan working, the resistor is faulty so bypassed it.
Thanks given by:
Passed, yay. lol

No advisories either!
Thanks given by:
Sorted! Got any pictures? Now get on and sell it!
Thanks given by:
Not quite ready for resale yet, I do have some pics...suppose I could stick up a project thread...
Thanks given by: