Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Side airbag light
#1
I know, its the airbag question! Ive scoured the 'forum that must not be named' and found nothing of relevance.

Ive fitted '6 seats with airbags to my 2000 XS. There is a yellow plug underneath from the cabin loom, that has nothing to connect to on the seat. This was previously connected on old seats. have soldered the pre-tensioners and the side bags are connected, but the side airbag light is on. Is this due to the yellow plug? Where should it go?

Thanks

Grant
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club


2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
#2
What age seats have you fitted, if they are early gti ones then they won't have side air bags which will be fun to sort out TBH

The only way I can think of would be to measure the resistance of your old seats using a multi meter and then make up 2 resistors of the same value and place it between the wires to the yellow plug on both sides, this should turn the light off with any luck.

The only other option I can think of right now would be to use ph3 gti front seats Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
#3
Hmm I wouldn't measure the resistance of an air bag it will explode it
#4
Dan Wrote:Hmm I wouldn't measure the resistance of an air bag it will explode it

So how do you suppose the system monitors the air bags being connected then............


Because if what your saying is correct they would go off an awful lot!
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
#5
Multimeters won't set off an airbag, it's a myth, I've tried it.

The seats have airbags, does anyone know what the yellow plug is for?
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club


2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
#6
Grant Wrote:Multimeters won't set off an airbag, it's a myth, I've tried it.

The seats have airbags, does anyone know what the yellow plug is for?

I know they won't, its exactly the same method the airbag system uses to monitor them being connected.

Also I was still asleep when I read your first post, lol, so you have 3 plugs on your wiring loom? One for the side air bag, one for the pre-tensioner and then the yellow one?
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
#7
mark_airey Wrote:
Grant Wrote:Multimeters won't set off an airbag, it's a myth, I've tried it.

The seats have airbags, does anyone know what the yellow plug is for?

I know they won't, its exactly the same method the airbag system uses to monitor them being connected.

Also I was still asleep when I read your first post, lol, so you have 3 plugs on your wiring loom? One for the side air bag, one for the pre-tensioner and then the yellow one?

Correct, will the yellow plug that is not plugged in be what is causing the light to be on, or is it a dud seat?
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club


2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
#8
Grant Wrote:Correct, will the yellow plug that is not plugged in be what is causing the light to be on, or is it a dud seat?

Not sure what that's for?! I have a ph2 which only has pre-tensioners so only 1 plug, I will have a look when I'm not watching the kids, its got to be written somewhere! Lol

You could always meter the new seat and the old one to see if they are the same maybe? That should prove the seat Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
#9
The old one is in a tip somewhere... Was a right state

Its a yellow plug with a green and yellow wire going into it. I'm contemplating just earthing it to see if it fixes...
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club


2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
#10
Bugger

Also stupid question but have you checked its all plugged in and the connectors are nice and clean?
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
#11
Double post fail.......
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
#12
I have un-plugged and re-plugged everything but not much success on that front. Ill try giving the connectors a clean then post back up... Cheers
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club


2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
#13
The only way an airbag is only going to blow up is (I Think) if someone measures insulation resistance (Volts) rather than resistance (Ohms)
#14
Jacko Wrote:The only way an airbag is only going to blow up is (I Think) if someone measures insulation resistance (Volts) rather than resistance (Ohms)

In which case they are stupid and deserve to have it blow up in their face, if they don't know the difference they shouldn't be doing it in the first place IMO
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
#15
There was a thread like this on .net where someone had 3 connectors and found the right resistor for each, ill try dig it out
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
#16
Cheers connor
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club


2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
#17
I have a feeling the spare plug (which is just a single earth lead) is a seat chassis earth. Give me 5 mins and I will get the diagrams out....
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#18
NiallHarper Wrote:I have a feeling the spare plug (which is just a single earth lead) is a seat chassis earth. Give me 5 mins and I will get the diagrams out....

Good lad
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club


2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
#19
Sorry bud the diagrams I have don't even show this earth cable I don't think! There is a earth in the diagram but I'm unsure as to wether its the one your on about. I need the number off the wire mate.


Oh and answer your f*cking phone bell cheese.
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#20
Tried plugs, no cigar!
Fecking light is still on! Twat-ing thing!

Are side airbags and MOT failure?
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club


2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
#21
Grant Wrote:Multimeters won't set off an airbag, it's a myth, I've tried it.

The seats have airbags, does anyone know what the yellow plug is for?

Just to say, it will set some systems off. Mainly two stage systems. Don't go round f*cking with airbags. Their dangerous kids!
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#22
NiallHarper Wrote:
Grant Wrote:Multimeters won't set off an airbag, it's a myth, I've tried it.

The seats have airbags, does anyone know what the yellow plug is for?

Just to say, it will set some systems off. Mainly two stage systems. Don't go round fornicating with airbags. Their dangerous kids!


If you'd atcually caught that one we set off on video we could show this.. But NO! Someone f*cked up! Wink
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club


2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
#23
Ah-ha! Wheres the auto-correct on swearing there?!?! ^^^ Beat the system! Woo
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club


2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
#24
Shut your mouth white boy. I was to worried about shitting my self at that explosion! Haha. Anyway we've for another to set off soon
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#25
Told you, im burying it and waiting for a fox to walk over it, then bye bye fox... haha
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club


2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
#26
[Image: 2011-05-20123323.jpg]
#27
Where does the single wired yellow plug lead to on the seat?
Team Eaton


1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
#28
defiantly an earth wire, theres no other wire coloured like that apart from earths
#29
will be trying to sort my airbag light this weekend its been illuminated ever since the kids kicked the rear mats under the passengers seat will take some pictures of the repair for you
#30
Yellow plug is earth.

And i dont know if its the same for 306's as it is for saxo's but where the orange plugs are, the polarity of the cables switches over. SO it's not red-to-red, it's be something like yellow-to-red and red-to-yellow.
[Image: KrisB-new-Logo11.gif]


Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Airbag light on, other lights not coming on TULL3RZ 0 2,488 25-12-2017, 08:13 PM
Last Post: TULL3RZ
  Airbag Light Flashing RetroPug 17 10,430 15-10-2016, 09:35 AM
Last Post: RetroPug
  AIRBAG LIGHT thebluepearl 4 3,483 16-10-2015, 10:06 AM
Last Post: Poodle

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)