Veg oil/fuel filter confirmation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Veg oil/fuel filter confirmation
(03-12-2012, 09:38 AM)Harky Wrote:
(03-12-2012, 08:24 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: SVO it's less than 90ppl and so it's just not worth messing about with the waste stuff

50ppl for WVO, and I can easily filter between 500-1000L in a day, and then just have it ready whenever I need it!

sweet!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
The waste stuff can often have high quantitys of animal fat in it that has a much higher gel point so is useless in this weather and so you'd have to add a much higher quantity of petrol to thin it (and this costs more money), the filters arent cheap and can clog and then need cleaning, you need a set up to filter it and that takes up space and then you have all the shite out of it you cant use and need to get rid of not to mention its a very messy operation and the actual amount of calories per liter of WVO is questionable, Ive heard people talking of getting lower MPG on waste than fresh.

I suppose that it is probably cheaper but for the effort of it all im gonna stick with nice clean bottles of fresh stuff out the cash and carry thats on my way to work.
Thanks given by:
(03-12-2012, 09:41 AM)kentiiboii Wrote: How do you filter wvo?

I currently filter through 20L filter bags from Ebay, about £12 for 3 filters and you can clean them as much as you want. Wanting to try and set up a slightly more automated system though. Currently I let it settle for at least 6 weeks or so before filtering it, this lets any crap settle at the bottom and saves blocking filters, then filter it and leave it sitting in a cube, and pump from the top of it, again letting anything else settle at the bottom.

(03-12-2012, 04:34 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: The waste stuff can often have high quantitys of animal fat in it that has a much higher gel point so is useless in this weather and so you'd have to add a much higher quantity of petrol to thin it (and this costs more money), the filters arent cheap and can clog and then need cleaning, you need a set up to filter it and that takes up space and then you have all the shite out of it you cant use and need to get rid of not to mention its a very messy operation and the actual amount of calories per liter of WVO is questionable, Ive heard people talking of getting lower MPG on waste than fresh.

All true (not sure about mpg), it certainly is a lot easier buying new stuff. But IF you can get good quality oil, and have the space (I'm lucky enough to be a farmer) then for me its a no brainer
Gov modded 11mm Bosch + Standard turbo = 137.2bhp . . . . TD04 now in...time to get playing!
Thanks given by:
(03-12-2012, 05:10 PM)Harky Wrote:

I currently filter through 20L filter bags from Ebay, about £12 for 3 filters and you can clean them as much as you want. Wanting to try and set up a slightly more automated system though. Currently I let it settle for at least 6 weeks or so before filtering it, this lets any crap settle at the bottom and saves blocking filters, then filter it and leave it sitting in a cube, and pump from the top of it, again letting anything else settle at the bottom.

(03-12-2012, 04:34 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: The waste stuff can often have high quantitys of animal fat in it that has a much higher gel point so is useless in this weather and so you'd have to add a much higher quantity of petrol to thin it (and this costs more money), the filters arent cheap and can clog and then need cleaning, you need a set up to filter it and that takes up space and then you have all the shite out of it you cant use and need to get rid of not to mention its a very messy operation and the actual amount of calories per liter of WVO is questionable, Ive heard people talking of getting lower MPG on waste than fresh.

All true (not sure about mpg), it certainly is a lot easier buying new stuff. But IF you can get good quality oil, and have the space (I'm lucky enough to be a farmer) then for me its a no brainer

Thanks for that dude.

Think dumdums right less hassle buying it fresh! Smile
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Depends on how easily you can get the waste stuff.. I work in a bakery and get it free so it works out well, I'd never pay for it, too much effort lol
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
I dont have much left to do buying it ready dewatered and at 40microns...fuel filters are about that anyway.

sock filters are dirt cheap and will almost last forever.

I find I do less mpg by 1or2 than diesel but more on wvo than svo.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Do you just stick the fresh veg oil straight in?
[Image: 704e7db1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I do fresh clean new stuff.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
svo can be poured straight in.

wvo needs work...lots if low quality, not so much if you can find decent stuff.

ideally you want to filter wvo to 1micron if possible
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
True, cheap glow plugs can be a problem. I've had my car nearly 2 years and it's still on the same plugs it came with though!

The main problem with WVO is obtaining it. Nearly everywhere is tied into a collection contract by the company that provides the oil. If you have a source, you're lucky these days.

Here is my WVO contraption. With about an hours hands on time I can make 150 litres of fuel from very average quality WVO.

[Image: 2.jpg]

[Image: 5.jpg]

The method is as follows:

Fill to 3/4 full, heat to 40 degrees. Filter hot to 1 micron to remove suspended carbon (suspended carbon starts the gelling process, a hot pre-filter greatly increases the yield). Add 50L misfuel (about 25%), add cetane booster. Mix and let stand for a week. Drain crud and water at bottom. Cold filter off to 1 micron.

I've been running this blend down to -6 this year and the car starts easily and idles normally almost immediately. I can't remember the last time I had to change the fuel filter.

If you want to run WVO it's definitely worth investing a bit of money and effort in a decent setup. I went from hand pumps and sock filters to this. The previous method was slow, very messy and almost impossible in the winter months.
Thanks given by:
that is a shit hot set-up . . . . respect . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:

google is your friend ...
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I just use filter bags, hang em up and leave it lol.... If i knew i could always get a constant supply i would consider some kind of bio contraption.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Swarf In Fuel Filter Housing jordanhdi 11 2,703 26-09-2016, 11:55 AM
Last Post: pug306driver
  Removing the fuel filter housing, but what is this behind it? Iaitoo 2 1,664 27-04-2016, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Iaitoo
  Drove 150+ miles with clogged fuel filter - now won't start mikes 21 4,359 13-04-2016, 07:17 AM
Last Post: mikes