Oil breather pipe question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil breather pipe question
Ive got a 1997 peugeot 1.9td and i wanting to remove the breather pipe which goes from just below the oil filler tube into a round shaped piece and finishes by going into the air intake by the bulk head.
1st can i remove the pipe and just fit a breather filter on both ends.
2nd Can i just block up both ends or would i have to run both pipes into a catch can.
cheers all :?
Thanks given by:
Don't block it up. They tend to chuck a fair bit of condensation and oil vapor through there

Best bet time is to get a catch tank and vent that via a filter then you block up the air intake one
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Don't block the BREATHER ... You can extend the pipe and point it to the floor, but only if you live for the 306.
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by:
haha! make sure u live for the 306 before venting to atmosphere... very important!
Thanks given by:
Just grab a catch tank - take seconds to install, or, if you enjoy a pikey looking engine (no offence peeps) get a coke bottle.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Argh!

Don't use a catch tank on an XUD9 - they will just spew oil from everywhere and not catch any in the catch tank... This is because as standard the crankcase breather is inducted into the airstream TO the turbo - it's under vacuum, if you put any sort of restriction on it, it'll end up causing high crankcase pressure and blowing oil past the rings - not to mention spewing it out the dipstick hole, busting seals etc, it needs to be as free as possible, the only way you should do it with a catch tank IMO is to enlarge the breather pipes and use a better catch tank... Or just shove the pipe over the back of the engine, even then it's not great, you should really have some system of sucking it out like standard.

They're turbocharged and old - therefore they blow a LOT of combustion gas past the rings into the crankcase - why do you think the oil change is every 6k miles Wink
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:Argh!

Don't use a catch tank on an XUD9 - they will just spew oil from everywhere and not catch any in the catch tank... This is because as standard the crankcase breather is inducted into the airstream TO the turbo - it's under vacuum, if you put any sort of restriction on it, it'll end up causing high crankcase pressure and blowing oil past the rings - not to mention spewing it out the dipstick hole, busting seals etc, it needs to be as free as possible, the only way you should do it with a catch tank IMO is to enlarge the breather pipes and use a better catch tank... Or just shove the pipe over the back of the engine, even then it's not great, you should really have some system of sucking it out like standard.

They're turbocharged and old - therefore they blow a LOT of combustion gas past the rings into the crankcase - why do you think the oil change is every 6k miles Wink

now you scare me... does make sense what you're saying though..
:eusa-shifty:

so what you're essentially saying is that it's not as such a "breather" but more of an induction system? :think:
Thanks given by:
90% of generic catch tanks are a total waste of time anyway as 80% of the oil vapour pass's thro them catching only 20% of it, unless you mod them, and then there to restriction / cause case pressure as ruan was saying...I just opened mine up so its free flowing as frig, and vented to atmosphere, that way looks legal / good, but really does shag all in the general sceme of things....atmosphere catch tank ftw.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
It's just a positive crankcase ventilation system...

On an NA Petrol engine it's never really a problem, you don't have a 21:1 compression ratio and often 20lbs of boost also to give you some lovely high cylinder pressures... When you have those sorts of cylinder pressures, you get quite a lot leak past, inevitably ending in needing to go somewhere, on the stock induction system, it's perfect, it sucks it in through the turbo in a vacuum environment...

In the 50s engines used to just have a draft tube which essentially sucked out the gasses as you drove by having a pipe hanging down, but obviously as you know, if you pass air over a pipe, you get a vacuum - just like a carburetor venturi, but obviously that only works at speed...

The best thing you can do is to put it back in the engine, if you really are adamant you don't want breather gasses going back in (it's free fuel you know!!!) then point it at the floor or similar... The other way of doing it is to have a catch tank, but obviously there's two pipes in and out - you place one on the breather from the crankcase, and one back on the inlet to the turbo - that means you still have it under vacuum, but you'll catch the majority in your lovely catch tank...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:It's just a positive crankcase ventilation system...

On an NA Petrol engine it's never really a problem, you don't have a 21:1 compression ratio and often 20lbs of boost also to give you some lovely high cylinder pressures... When you have those sorts of cylinder pressures, you get quite a lot leak past, inevitably ending in needing to go somewhere, on the stock induction system, it's perfect, it sucks it in through the turbo in a vacuum environment...

In the 50s engines used to just have a draft tube which essentially sucked out the gasses as you drove by having a pipe hanging down, but obviously as you know, if you pass air over a pipe, you get a vacuum - just like a carburetor venturi, but obviously that only works at speed...

The best thing you can do is to put it back in the engine, if you really are adamant you don't want breather gasses going back in (it's free fuel you know!!!) then point it at the floor or similar... The other way of doing it is to have a catch tank, but obviously there's two pipes in and out - you place one on the breather from the crankcase, and one back on the inlet to the turbo - that means you still have it under vacuum, but you'll catch the majority in your lovely catch tank...

Excellent info there.

What if for example, because of my inlet isn't standard, (i'm running 57mm pipe, round de filtered,) if i ran a pipe from the catch tank "breather" exit, to the inlet pipe? would this have the same effect?

or would it create a pointless catch tank and suck everything up anyway, if that makes sense...
Thanks given by:
Depends on the design of the catch tank.....
Thanks given by:
Ginge, if you're running de-filtered, why the worry about a catch tank?!

You haven't experienced life till you blow the dipstick out and paint your engine black anyway! :p

Thanks given by:
n0v0s Wrote:Ginge, if you're running de-filtered, why the worry about a catch tank?!

You haven't experienced life till you blow the dipstick out and paint your engine black anyway! :p

:shock:

Think i might never turn the key if that's the case!
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
What a good idea!

My turbo has a knack for sucking up illegals every time I drive mine.

Thanks given by:
n0v0s Wrote:Ginge, if you're running de-filtered, why the worry about a catch tank?!

de-filtered air intake...
the catch tank was because originally when i setup my inlet, i had pipe all the way around, and fitting an oil breather in was going to be a pita, so i just got a catch tank.

i've only recently removed all piping all together and now running a free turbo.
Thanks given by:
Ginge if you really wanted that vacuum back then get a silicon t piece for the join above your gbox
Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:Ginge if you really wanted that vacuum back then get a silicon t piece for the join above your gbox

Wouldnt you then end up sucking oil into your brake vacuum system? Confusedhock:
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
londondan86 Wrote:
4WayDiablo Wrote:Ginge if you really wanted that vacuum back then get a silicon t piece for the join above your gbox

Wouldnt you then end up sucking oil into your brake vacuum system? Confusedhock:
this is a pic of his air intake i mean one of either the blue or red silicon above his gbox can be a t peice for that vacuum he wants
[Image: IMG_20120210_172039.jpg]

nowhere near the brakes lol
Thanks given by:
OHHH i see... but wouldn't i then need a T-piece which adapts to the size of the oil breather.

so a 57mm t piece, with a 14mm tip? :|

like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-10-13-15mm- ... 4a96c683c6 lol
Thanks given by:
yup yup yup
Thanks given by:
hm so this would mean scrapping the catch tank... what a waste lol
Thanks given by:
up to you...
do it however you want
Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:up to you...
do it however you want

what would happen if i just ran a t-piece from the current breather into the a new t-piece on the inlet and keep the current catch tank in...

what would that create; im assuming, a pointless catch tank?
Thanks given by:
your car would explode in a hollywood style explosion leaving a crator large enough to live in
Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:your car would explode in a hollywood style explosion leaving a crator large enough to live in

FML...

any other serious answers lol
Thanks given by:
Make sure the catch tank has two points in... An inlet and an outlet, one should be connected to a long hose going mostly to the bottom of the tank, one should be connected at the top, to allow the breather oil to condensate in the tank at the bottom but still vent any pressure.
Thanks given by:
So ruan, what would i benefit from running a T piece to the turbo, with a small tube connecting the breather pipe and the inlet.

Would it create a good enough vacuum to the catch tank, or would it end up just 'sucking' the oil residue into the inlet?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  oil out of breather under hard cornering zx_volcane 9 3,006 19-07-2017, 11:45 AM
Last Post: zx_volcane
  Gearbox Breather maxaret 21 4,111 27-03-2016, 10:20 PM
Last Post: bigcheez2k3
  Oil breather hose Check30 23 6,001 18-03-2014, 01:33 PM
Last Post: padge