computer help?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
computer help?
so im just wondering if anyone knows how to make my laptop run faster or if theres anything i can do as i have no idea at all what im doing! just noticed lately its being rather slow lately. is there a way of upgrading parts easy or is that a stupid question?
Official Team Go-NAD fan club
Thanks given by:
Have you tried turning it off and on again?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(31-05-2013, 09:34 PM)Poodle Wrote: Have you tried turning it off and on again?

only thing i knew to try lmao
Thanks given by:
Laptops are considerably more difficult to upgrade than a desktop PC, but you might be able to get some more RAM in it, that will help it run a bit quicker. The best option would be to back up all your pics/video/music/important files, and put a fresh installation of Windows on your machine. Its not as difficult as you might imagine. Smile

If you really dont want to give the format/reinstall option a go, you can try programs like CCleaner to remove all the useless/obsolete entries in yours computers registry, delete temporary files that just bog the hard drive down, etc.
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
ive been thinking of getting an external hard drive to store my things on and was recommended to get windows 7 ultimate (apparently its shit hot) but need to look into it dunno if that would help at all?
Thanks given by:
Win 7 Ultimate is pretty epic tbh, but you need a decent spec to run it properly really. I use win 7 ultimate 64-bit, and its fairly slow on my machine, but that comes down to the hard drive holding the rest of my system back. I'd recommend the home edition to most people, unless they're spending some decent money on a system. What sort of spec is your laptop?
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Tried turning up the fueling and boost? Just be careful of blowing processors through the casing.
Thanks given by:
upgraded ram and SSD will majorly increase the speed.

The slowest part of most laptops is their hard drive.

What make model do you have? Run this:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/

Paste back to me what memory it says you have (including all its timings and latency stuffs.
Team - Inappropriate Footwear. Member 1 of 3.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)
3. Fooby's Company Pool Car

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
to make it faster with what you have run CCleaner and defragment the hard drive. Defraggler is my favourite tool for defragmenting.
Thanks given by:
(31-05-2013, 09:55 PM)SRowell Wrote: to make it faster with what you have run CCleaner and defragment the hard drive. Defraggler is my favourite tool for defragmenting.

Srowel had the winning question. Fooby hasnt tried. Give your had drive a clean very rid of the Shit, defrag. Also let your computer do a full scan for virus and spy ware. Gets rid of the shit from dirty sites Wink.
If that fails a full clean installation of windows will be much better. Don't know what windows you have but guessing vista which is terrible and slow. Windows 7 will be you're best bet. If they don't work then think about upgrades.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(31-05-2013, 09:50 PM)Fooby Wrote: upgraded ram and SSD will majorly increase the speed.

The slowest part of most laptops is their hard drive.

What make model do you have? Run this:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/

Paste back to me what memory it says you have (including all its timings and latency stuffs.

Your System Specs for the Intel Mobile HM55 model.
Scan Id: 51CBF4DF31D926C3
Memory:
DDR3 PC3-10600
Memory Type: DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 8GB
Currently Installed Memory: 3GB
Total Memory Slots: 2
Available Memory Slots: 0
1GB
2GB

Intel Mobile HM55 Laptop/Notebook.

thats what its come up with after scan

(31-05-2013, 10:06 PM)kentiiboii Wrote:
(31-05-2013, 09:55 PM)SRowell Wrote: to make it faster with what you have run CCleaner and defragment the hard drive. Defraggler is my favourite tool for defragmenting.

Srowel had the winning question. Fooby hasnt tried. Give your had drive a clean very rid of the Shit, defrag. Also let your computer do a full scan for virus and spy ware. Gets rid of the shit from dirty sites Wink.
If that fails a full clean installation of windows will be much better. Don't know what windows you have but guessing vista which is terrible and slow. Windows 7 will be you're best bet. If they don't work then think about upgrades.

yea i did a defrag this afternoon i think my drive was 48% fraged or what ever it comes up with took like 2hours to do!
Thanks given by:
48% is pretty fragmented. D:

Make sure you run CCleaner. It is literally the best. Try Anti Malware Bytes as that is pretty good and does the job even on a 30 day trial!
Thanks given by:
As Wangnads said, I'd be tempted by a fresh install of Windows (bearing in mind it probably came with a load of bloatware anyway - software that gets preloaded by the manufacturer like McAfee trials etc.) as it'll make a huge difference and you can start from scratch.

Or you could always install Linux...
Thanks given by:
(01-06-2013, 05:43 AM)Scott Wrote: As Wangnads said, I'd be tempted by a fresh install of Windows (bearing in mind it probably came with a load of bloatware anyway - software that gets preloaded by the manufacturer like McAfee trials etc.) as it'll make a huge difference and you can start from scratch.

Or you could always install Linux...

I'm not sure if ihave a winows disk thoguh to re install :/ also what's Unux?
Thanks given by:
Come to the conclusion that I'm just gonna do a lot of looking into it an just build my own pc tower over time so it runs shit hot! Anyone built a pc tower before?
Thanks given by:
look at ubuntu... personally i only run unbuntu as a secondary OS as windows is just too useful!
Thanks given by:
(01-06-2013, 10:04 PM)SRowell Wrote: look at ubuntu... personally i only run unbuntu as a secondary OS as windows is just too useful!

Depends whag you use them for. I dont really bother with computers enough to need different os. Looking at the op he aint really interested in using different.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(01-06-2013, 09:28 PM)the milkman Wrote: Come to the conclusion that I'm just gonna do a lot of looking into it an just build my own pc tower over time so it runs shit hot! Anyone built a pc tower before?
A good few of us on here have done. It's straight forward in the sense that the components fit together easily and have clear instructions, but it may be worthwhile learning some more about how the work, as even with a high-end rig you can get the same problems you have now without proper maintenance
Thanks given by:
yeh ive built my own. Basically you want a 650W+ PSU, a motherboard with the same socket type as a i5 or i7 processor, a pciE graphics card and about 4Gb or more of DDR3 1600Mhz memory.

ANd then a case (to match the motherboard either ATX (big) or mATX (small), a dvd drive (£10) and a few fans to keep it cool. Also the stock coolers that come with some processors arent great so i got a corsair watercooled kit for £60.

And then running windows 7 pro 64 bit Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Yea I get what you mean scott, but where can I learn about it or is it a case of random research? And I'm assuming yours is a pretty high spec then sam?
Thanks given by:
Format c:

Lolol
[Image: sign.png]
↑ Project ↑
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Computer gurus - crashing PC ginge191 8 1,937 24-02-2017, 08:14 AM
Last Post: MisterGTR
  Computer People - Is this a virus? Toms306 53 12,805 28-02-2015, 11:49 AM