GUIDE: How to fit an Oil Cooler (Badly)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GUIDE: How to fit an Oil Cooler (Badly)
Well my hands have thawed out and here are the pics, along with a little description of how I went about fitting (read bodged) it on.

Firstly a note regarding the pictures. The fitting is not pleasing to the eye nor will it win any concourse competitions. It is fitted, purely for purpose, behind the bumper so cannot be seen. Yes the hoses probably are a little too long, but its what was supplied, so I have to make do till I can be bothered to do anything about it. Most of the photos make the cooler look like its at an angle. Thats because it is. Ever so slightly. Also the car is jacked up on one side only.

Well if you still reading and havent clicked on a thread with pictures of nicely fitted stuff then here is the little guide/pictures.

Firstly remove front bumper. Now the book will tell you that its two bolts on each side and remove. Well, try three on one side, one on the other and three underneath. Done. Also because I went on a bit of a removing rampage I took off the lights and grill. You donâ??t need to do this. It just looks cool

You'll have something like this[Image: 2012-02-08143441.jpg]

Now you'll see what space you have to fit the cooler. As you can see my Rallye seems to only have one fan. Lovely. Just the place.

Now get angry with the Dremel, and remove anything that looks like it might be in the way. Look out for random wires and the radiator fins.... This is what you might end up with
[Image: 2012-02-08151606.jpg]

Next scratch your head a little and ponder where the cooler will go. Here looks about right
[Image: 2012-02-08162246.jpg]

Now its bolted in using the flimsy metal strips supplied in the kit. Yes its wonky, get over it.
Its bolted through the front metal cross member thingy. Now despite being about a Gnat's hair thick it is very strong, causing two of my 50p drill bits to break. Eventually got through, almost going through the randomly placed electrical loom that runs under it.

Next thing to do is stand back, curse that it looks shit, then crack on because you cant be arsed to sort it out. Fit the awkwardly long hoses to the cooler. Now a Warning! DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the fixings on the cooler. The hexes are soldered onto the cooler and are as a result as flimsy as blu-tack. Hand tighten, then curse because you havent got a big enough spanner to go round the fixings. Stand around looking for stuff to bodge it on then realise you've got two adjustable spanners laying around that'll do the trick. Nip it up and quarter turn to finish. Make sure the hose is bang in line before doing so or when you turn the car on you'll realise that you messed up.

Now the easy(ier) bit.

Get underneath, no need to drain all the oil, just whip off the filter, catch what leaks, attach thermostatic sandwich plate (rubber seal to block) hand tighten extension bolt that goes in the middle. Then hand screw filter, tightening it all up like you would normally. Now fit hoses like before. Curse a few times because you cant get the angle right. Soldier on and you will be rewarded with the familiar feeling of a tightening nut. Lovely job.

Rubbish photo because access is pants.
[Image: 2012-02-09105635.jpg]
Also while you are down there, make a mental note to clean the under side of the engine. Its disgusting. Looks like a greasy spoon caféâ??s fryer.

Now its all plumbed in and connected, tidy up the hoses a little. Now remember I said they were a little long?
[Image: 2012-02-09105421.jpg]
Yes, yes they are.

You'll find you have to add about half a litre of your favourite lubricant to the engine before you run the car up to temp. Check to see if the cooler eventually fills with oil. Now the leaflet that came with it didnâ??t mention what temperature the thermostat opens at. Internet research will lead you to think its anywhere between 75 and 80 degrees. A little low in my opinion but whatever.

Let it run, fill and check temp and also for leaks. Here you will see if you have fitted the hoses properly, and also if you have inadvertently punched a hole in your radiator. Something I luckily, didnâ??t do. Almost, but not quite.

Let it cool. Check levels. Refit front end. And bingo, one perfectly functional, if horrible to look at oil cooler.

[Image: 2012-02-09111906.jpg]

Also looking at that last photo it does look rather wonky. May eventually address that. But, I probably wont as im a lazy git.

Thanks for reading
[Image: c6769879.jpg] TEAM TRACK CAR + An E60 530d M-Sport for the daily
Thanks given by:
Good guide mate. However I did crack up when I scroleld down and saw this..........

lmao
Thanks given by:
Yeah I know. The hoses are about two feet too long! Lol. Kit for the 306 my arse
Thanks given by:
Good guide. I will be fitting one to mine soon. Will get my hoses made to size though haha!

Would it not fit Inbetween the fans and the bumper? I'm sure on mine I have loads of room Inbetween the two
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
It would. Probably. But it says in the gumph that it has to be touching the rad otherwise the hot turbulent air leaving the cooler will not go through the water rad. Instead it will go straight up and lead to an increase in water temp.

Could of also side mounted it but the bumper would of made it too difficult to get in place.
Thanks given by:
Dan! Wrote:Good guide mate. However I did crack up when I scroleld down and saw this..........

lmao

Same thing happened to me lol

But as always, function over form Smile Good guide
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Could the cooler not have gone on the far side of the radiator, thus taking up slack in the hoses?
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
There is a fan in the way? Or horns even further.
Thanks given by:
But you removed a fan and cut out the mountings on the left, so why not do it on the right? lol

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Grant Wrote:But you removed a fan and cut out the mountings on the left, so why not do it on the right? lol

Only had one fan to start with Smile

Good guide mate Smile
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Grant Wrote:But you removed a fan and cut out the mountings on the left, so why not do it on the right? lol

He would of only had 1 fan. Rallyes had no air on so only had 1 cooling fan
Could of swapped them round though lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Well, yea thats what i was getting at, put it over the other side to save buying different hoses...

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
That would be too easy...
Thanks given by:
Looks like that will work nice buddy..I would have come and given you a hand if you had liked..I can fit anything with a hammer and duck tape you know
Thanks given by:
So hold on, if you fit it behind the fans you have to fit it touching the rad? Never heard that before?!

Meh, I think I'm gonna try n use the inside front of the bumper to mount mine. I also plan* on making it nice and symmetrical... Tongue

*We'll see how I get on with this; probably NOT well lol
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Reminds me of this

[Image: 4509653472_8f288dd585_o.jpg]

And other such creations lol
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
If you run the hoses round the other side of the rad but keep the cooler where it is i reckon theyll be the right lenght, just cable tie them through the rad and you should be good.
Thanks given by:
looked at the photo and my thought on the long hoses is if they come that length in the kit and it would cost to have them altered why not move the cooler to were the passenger side fan is ? to me it looks about the distance like i say just a thought
Thanks given by: