Bit of a strange one?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bit of a strange one?
I did the drivers side wheel bearing on the 306 HDI a little while ago, then about 3 weeks later a funny noise started when turning ,so had a quick look only to find the drivers side spring snapped, so had both front springs replaced while the car was in having the springs done, the garage phoned me and said that my front pads were almost totally worn out (i knew they were as i was planning to do them) so they replaced them for just the cost of the pads.

Now the car just does not feel right to me, under heavy braking it seems really unstable and pulls to the right and under hard acceleration the drivers side wheel seems a bit strange and it tends to follow the camber of the road a lot more ( i hope this makes sense), i had a quick look under the car couldn't see anything obvious only thing i noticed was that the drivers bottom ball joint the boot was split and grease was all out of it, so if that was knackered could that cause it?? But i bet they split that when they were doing the springs.

Thats why i hate taking my car to the garage but i just didn't have time to do it myself, i had it done at a garage down near where i work ( 150 miles away from me now) i will be popping in to see them the week after next when i am back down there, but going to have a look around the car tomorrow as i have a few other bits to do to it and was after a few suggestions of what to check.

Thanks in advance fellas
Thanks given by:
possible they knackered it yeah...but may have been on its way out already
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(16-02-2013, 08:33 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: possible they knackered it yeah...but may have been on its way out already
The wishbones are about 8 months old so the ball joints would be the same, so doubt it would of been on its way out.
I got a new one today from GSF just incase so going to whack it on in the morning.

Would a knackered ball joint give those symptoms?

Cheers for the reply
Thanks given by:
Before you mentioned ballpoint was gonna say that. Yeah they give a lot of dodgy handling situations and what you have described sounds about right for a ballpoint problem. Also check the pinch bolt aswell.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
jack the front end of the car off the ground and wobble each wheel side to side then top to bottom, any play in bushes or balljoints becomes obvious then. al check your tyres for uneven tread wear, if its been scrubbed around the inside edge id say balljoint or p bush problem
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Checked tracking and tire pressures? I know mine will follow the road abit more when pressures are low
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the replies fellas.

Going to jack the car up in a bit and have a look.

I have got a new ball joint so going to put it on any way and have agood look round while i am doing it.
Thanks given by:
Right done the car, fitted the new ball joint, the old one the boot was split and all the grease had come out but it wasn't that bad.
One thing i did notice was, the 3 bolts that hold the ball joint to the wishbone were really loose, once i had undone the pinch bolt and then split the ball joint, i braced my self as i thought the 3 bolts were going to be tight and they were really loose just a little tighter than finger tight, it took no effort to undo them.
I am wondering if that would have caused it, and why they were loose? wonder if the garage split it there when they did the springs? just seems a little strange.

Going out for a drive in a bit so will see if it has made a difference.
Couldn't see anything else.
Thanks given by:
Yeah do them bolts up tight they are probably moving around in the wish bone.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by: