Trailer Towing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trailer Towing
My mate over the roar had one, I'm not paying to hire one lol....is rather drive the golf than pay hire fees! Tongue
Thanks given by:
just drive it. whats the worst that can happen?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(09-09-2012, 07:45 PM)Niall Wrote: just drive it. whats the worst that can happen?
You get done for driving otherwise in accordance with your licence which is 3 points and a £60 fine however because your towing overweight and thus technically wont have a licence to do so then you technically wont have insurance either and thats 6 points and a £200 fine (which in your first 2 years of driving would be a ban) also theres offences regarding insecure load and because trailers dont get a yearly MOT theyer more likely to have mechanical defects than the cars towing them.
Thanks given by:
i think Niall meant drive the golf...
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Tbf, it is only 5ish miles, as long as we took a towrope and someone followed me just incase I wouldn't mind....problem is its not insured atm, would cost me 20 quid to insure it on my insurance, just trying to do it cheaper if possible.
Thanks given by:
tow it ffs, it's only 5 miles..
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Still has to be insured if wheels are on the grond though! And I'd rather have pas and brake assist......
Thanks given by:
(09-09-2012, 07:53 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(09-09-2012, 07:45 PM)Niall Wrote: just drive it. whats the worst that can happen?
You get done for driving otherwise in accordance with your licence which is 3 points and a £60 fine however because your towing overweight and thus technically wont have a licence to do so then you technically wont have insurance either and thats 6 points and a £200 fine (which in your first 2 years of driving would be a ban) also theres offences regarding insecure load and because trailers dont get a yearly MOT theyer more likely to have mechanical defects than the cars towing them.

i meant drive the golf....it still runs...just sounds like eds car!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(09-09-2012, 08:21 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: tow it ffs, it's only 5 miles..

This.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Perhaps I can help by clearing things up a bit -

Trailer towing:- B and B+E licence rules explained

The towing vehicle info can be obtained from the V5 registered keepers form, the handbook, a plate somewhere on the vehicle or on the internet.
Kerbweight (weight when empty)
GVW or MAM (max possible legal weight when fully loaded)
Towing capacity (manufacturer actual towing weight limit – not legally enforceable but based on safety and engine power)
GTW - the max legal weight the vehicle and trailer can ACTUALLY weigh when added together. This does not refer to the total of the vehicle GWV and trailer MAM weights.
In most cases, the GVW added to the towing capacity will also be the GTW.

The trailer info can be obtained from a plate on the trailer, by calling the trailer manufacturer, or on the internet. If no plate then the total of the TYRE LOAD RATINGS will be used by the authorities to determine the MAM.
Unladen (weight when empty)
MAM or MTPLM (max possible legal weight when fully loaded)

The only legally recognised way to down plate a trailer of 3500 kgs MAM or less is to contact the manufacturer at little or no cost.

The laws/rules are these:-

For both B+E & B licence towing.
The GVW of the vehicle must not be exceeded (law)
The GTW must not be exceeded (law)
The plated MAM of the trailer must not be exceeded (law).
The towing capacity should not be exceeded.
The lower of the trailer MAM or the towing capacity must/should be used.
The trailer MAM can legally be more than the towing capacity.(internet myths may say otherwise)
UNbraked trailers cannot have a MAM of more than half of the vehicle kerbweight

For B licence towing with a trailer over 750 kgs MAM.
The vehicle GVW added to the trailer MAM must not exceed 3500 kgs (law)
The trailer MAM must not be more than the vehicle Kerbweight. (current law)

EXAMPLE
Vehicle
Kerbweight 1520 kgs
GVW 2050 kgs
Towing capacity 1700 kgs
GTW 3750 kgs

Trailer
Unladen 600 kgs
MAM 2000 kgs

For B+E licence towing the trailer can be loaded with 1100 kgs because 1100+600=1700 kgs which is the towing capacity.

For B licence towing the trailer would need down plating from 2000 kgs to a maximum of 1450 kgs.
The reason is that 1450+2050=3500 which is the maximum allowed for B licence towing.
1450 is lower than 1520 so that current law (may be revoked in Jan 2013) has been complied with.
The trailer can be loaded with 850 kgs because 850+600=1450 kgs which is the trailer MAM.

Caravan weights work on a slightly different system as they take into account the recommended (not legal) 85% towing advice.

SUPERVISING A B+E LEARNER
In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.
They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.
All B licence holders have B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.
The usual rules apply when a learner is driving -
The supervising driver must be aged over 21
The supervising driver must have held a B+E licence for at least 3 years
L plates must be fitted to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer
Correct insurance for a B+E learner

The B+E test
No medical or theory test required
Read a number plate from a certain distance
VIDEO - Show Me Tell Me Questions - usually 5
The next three can be in any order:-
VIDEO - Reversing Exercise - done in test centre grounds if test conducted from practical test centre - some tests are now being done from training school grounds
VIDEO - Uncouple/couple up - done in test centre grounds if test conducted from practical test centre - some tests are now being done from training school grounds
One hour road drive - includes the independent drive and is done virtually the same as the basic car test

DISCLAIMER - I have no connection to any companies which may be featured in those videos

This is interesting BUT NOT RECOMMENDED – a B licence towing set up can be presented for the B+E test but L plates must be used for the test. So you can train yourself, go to test by yourself, fit L plates, do the test, then, pass or fail, remove L plates and drive away by yourself.
DSA B+E TEST AND VEHICLE/TRAILER REQUIREMENTS
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What car; towing ginge191 26 5,594 24-03-2017, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Dum-Dum
  Trailer Questions tigerstyle 4 1,268 12-02-2017, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum
  Towing Question Orta 22 8,824 15-10-2016, 07:56 AM
Last Post: Blaze Addict