would a tuning box put you off?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
would a tuning box put you off?
hi guys just wondering what yous guys think of buying a 306 hdi with a tuning box fitted...would it out you off? i would obviously remove it straight away but would it have done any harm that would make you guys doubt the car?

cheers
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Depends really on the condition of the rest of the car tbh.. A tuning box won't necessarily harm the car as such, it just tricks the ECU
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
yes i know in general people must be against them for a reason. the car is i good condition otherwise but i dont like that it has been fitted but tbh dont know much about any problems they could cause
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't say people are 'against' them as such, it's just a remap is much better overall and tbh cost around the same as a tuning box if not cheaper if you go to the right people!
Thanks given by:
well if it does not harm thats what i want to hear. so it doesnt increase general wear and tear on pump or injectors?
Thanks given by:
They increase rail pressure only so I would it'd have to put more pressure on the hp pump.
Thanks given by:
What con said!
Thanks given by:
would a remap not cause the same increase in stress on the pump?
Thanks given by:
Similar yeah, obviously putting more power through an engine that wasn't designed for it will cause increased wear but tbh i don't think it would be enough to worry about right now.. my old HDi is running 155bhp over the 90bhp stock and i've never had any issues *touch wood*
Thanks given by:
Basically it shouldn't do any harm as Danny says but its effectively a box of resistors to change the sensor readings that the ECU sees to make it inject more fuel Smile

Its just not the best way of doing it when you can get better results from a re-map with less money Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
thanks for the advice. was just seeing if it was worth considering, with the plan to remove the box and get a map of mr whippy
Thanks given by:
If your planning on having it mapped by whippy then i really wouldn't worry about the tuning box, get rid of the box, get it mapped and drash on!
Thanks given by:
^^ 100% this as long as the rest of the car looks like it has been looked after Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
I've seen quite a few cars with tuning boxes on them that didn't run so hot, but when you remove it and check the car over they are usually just as good as any other car that hasn't had a tuning box on it.

Unless it's been pushed really hard it won't have done any harm. I doubt many people push them that hard because the effects are horrible running around idle and lots of smoke... but you know some people Big Grin

If the box is adjustable (ie, turn up/down) try test drive it with it turned down/off. Or even better remove it. I think they take about 5-10mins to remove. If it's doing anything iffy in that state then you can start to worry a bit more, otherwise it's probably fine Big Grin

These engines are pretty tough it seems, just make sure it runs right as much as you can and it should be ok!

Dave
Thanks given by:
(12-07-2012, 11:18 AM)Midnightclub Wrote: my HDi is running 155bhp over the 90bhp stock

155 over stock? Its running 245bhp? f*ck me that's impressive :-P
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Depends what the box was for (ie - mpg or just ragging) and the state of the rest of the car tbh. Although I now avoid modified cars anyway.
Thanks given by:
(12-07-2012, 04:50 PM)4WayDiablo Wrote:
(12-07-2012, 11:18 AM)Midnightclub Wrote: my HDi is running 155bhp over the 90bhp stock

I thought i'd highlight that bit just in case you didn't see it... bender
Thanks given by:
(13-07-2012, 11:53 AM)Midnightclub Wrote:
(12-07-2012, 04:50 PM)4WayDiablo Wrote:

I thought i'd highlight that bit just in case you didn't see it... bender

You have to admit he is right though, 155BHP over 90BHP is 245BHP isn't it, your running 65BHP over the 90BHP stock (so 155 ) lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
65bhp over stock is 155bhp total.

155bhp over stock is 245bhp Big Grin

Hehe...

I did get what you meant though Wink

Dave
Thanks given by:
I know what Danny ment too but I know he loves being trolled so I thought I would do that instead Big Grin
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
You're all lady gardens!

lol
Thanks given by: