Coilpack to leads.... Talk to me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coilpack to leads.... Talk to me
With the upcoming engine modifications I'm implementing, I'd like to bin the temperamental oem Coilpacks in favour of leads.....

I know all the theory of conversion and the benefits to be gained, just seeking information on what to do from someone who's done it before on an Xu10j4rs.

Vauxhall/ford items most commonly used yes? Or look for Peugeot stuff? Like 1.1 106 iirc?

Any input would be greatly appreciated Smile
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Fords coilpack and leads is what we used to always favor.

Works well with aftermarket ecus and is pretty bombproof
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
What do you need to change wiring wise? There's only like 3 wires anyway...
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Xu 8valve or tu 8 valve early type coilpack, gm 1600/1800 16v leads.

No blue oval tat.

j4rs loom has 4 plugs and 8 wires, 4 are ignition switched lives, 4 are ecu controlled and ground to make the circuit and cause a spark.

Unless you're going to an aftermarket ecu then it wont work, and theres nothing wrong with the standard stuff
Thanks given by:
106 Rallye coil pack is ideal. Thats what i use and just uses a 4 pin junior timer plug.
Only issue is though is your running fully sequential on the standard ecu and would be on semi sequential on the coil pack. You could just use one of the 12v feeds from one of the coils and the ground from cylinder 1 and 2 for the coil pack but don't know how well the car will run on semi sequential with the standard ecu as its just not designed for that!
If you want pics, look at my project thread. Im using the above setup as the Omex 600 is only able to fire semi sequential.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
cheers for the input fellas, ill be converting to leads when i go aftermarket for management, was thinking of omex but at the moment emerald looks like a better option tbf
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
depends more who's mapping it really, I've played briefly with the dta and omex software and the dta seems a lot more user friendly, and If/when I finally get my car ready to be mapped and Sandy has some spare time I'll be getting him to map for me.
Thanks given by:
I was going to go with one of the big 3. DTA s40Pro, Omex 600 or Emerald K6. On paper, the K6 is the best feature wise (Although most pointless to the average user) and the DTA and Omex about the same. Reason i didn't go with the Emerald was the after care or should i say severe lack of! Omex support couldnt be more helpful and have gotten me out of the shit on two occasions with mine.
Its all well and good having all of these fancy features but if your not going to use them, don't bother. The simpler it is, the less likely it is to go wrong! Also, apparently Omex is the easiest out of the 3 to map but that wasn't my problem as i didn't map it lol.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
All good things to consider. It's already going to be hard enough spending so much money on management in the first place haha
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2014, 06:47 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: All good things to consider. It's already going to be hard enough spending so much money on management in the first place haha

Keep an eye on ebay. 600s with a generic loom pop up fairly often for £500ish
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Omex is easier to map, I seem to remember with Emerald you need to save changes before it works so no live adjustments,
No need for leads or brackets, I use the XU10J4R coil pack, never had a issue to date, just means cutting the old mounting tabs off.
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
(20-06-2014, 08:42 PM)miles Wrote: Omex is easier to map, I seem to remember with Emerald you need to save changes before it works so no live adjustments,
No need for leads or brackets, I use the XU10J4R coil pack, never had a issue to date, just means cutting the old mounting tabs off.

Do you have to cut all the tabs off? I am going to do this soon as its just tidier
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Not all, just towards the flywheel end
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coilpack Conversion mackat 10 1,725 13-03-2016, 08:52 PM
Last Post: mackat