URGENT: Coolant Level Light help.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
URGENT: Coolant Level Light help.
Hello! Came back from Liverpool friday night and the coolant level light flashed on and straight off again. It keeps flashing on. Staying on for about 10 seconds at the most and then turning off.

Ive checked the levels and the header tank is near to max. Temperature is always 75 and doesnt go any higher than that. Its a HDi engine. Problem is I am drving back to Liverpool in an hours time! I presume it will be fine as long as I keep an eye on the engine temperature?

What could the problem possibly be? Slipping belt for water pump? broken water pump?

Thanks
Sam
Thanks given by:
Loose plug probably. Wink Mine comes on every few days.... I think its because the header tank level is only 'just' enough to stop the sensor (put too much more coolant in and it blows it out anyway) so sharply pulling away or parking on hills seems to make the light come on.

And I hope the cambelt isn't slipping, as thats what drives the waterpump lol.
Thanks given by:
i'd go with loose connection. could always try bleeding the system thru if you want to do something to ease your mind
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
+1 to the above suggestions.

I'm guessing (if the same as the XUD engine) that the sensor is an indicator of level only and not pressure.

No signs of leaks? I'd go with sensor or wiring.

Good luck with your drive to Liverpool.
[Image: 2306s.png]

The Old_______and_______Slight Less Old
Thanks given by:
My light keeps coming on when I'm on boost. Tape over the light fixed my problem. ThumbsUp
*Just pretend I didn't see that light there... whistle *

As others have said, does sound like sensor issue if you for certain know there is no problem with the coolant system itself..
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
[Image: sig2.png]
Thanks given by:
Ah okay its wont be a slipping belt then as the car still pulls and drives like a dream.

Is the sensor in the head tank then? Its filled the correct amount and engine temp is alright so it does seem like it is a sensor problem. Ill watch the temps on the drive up!
Thanks given by:
Top it up a bit imo, if its too much it'll just blow out the cap anyway. And yeah the sensor is in the header tank, you can see the wiring to it fairly easily.
Thanks given by:
ok im off now to fit some speakers and ill top it up a bit and check the wires! then im off! cya people! Hopefully ill be on later tonight after a good drive!
Thanks given by:
Bleed the coolant system mate, See if the system really is as full as you think. If it is then itll probably be a loose connection.
Thanks given by:
My brothers does this, have a replacement sensor to fit as it does it without rhyme or reason. Mine is still the original and works properly, doesn't come on unnecessarily.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Mine did this, replaced the sensor, now it's fine.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
Mine does this.

It's "Character"
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Made it. Didnt go over 75C! Must be a faulty sensor. Ill check the plug and wiring tomorrow and then Ill have to keep my eye out for another sensor.

Cheers guys!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  warning level? Jimbo 6 1,597 12-10-2013, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Connor
  mileage with tuning level ??? chippyba 6 1,787 30-07-2013, 07:38 PM
Last Post: DeeTurbo
  Warning level :S David 1 905 13-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Midnightclub