Replacing wing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing wing
I've been meaning to replace my driver side front wing for a while now but haven't really got round to doing this yet.

What I need to know is, is it essential to remove the arch liner/splash guard or are the two bolts which are under the headlight accessible by removing the headlight?

If so which way makes more sense doing this job, removing the headlight or the arch liner?

Thanks
Thanks given by:
You need to remove the liner to access some of the other bolts anyway, so its gotta come out... It's not difficult to remove though.
Thanks given by:
Cheers bud. Will make a start soon lol
Thanks given by:
Personally, i'd wait till morning now... Wink

But yeah, as Tom says, arch liner will definitely have to come out, and you may find its also riveted in places. Smile
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
They can end up being a bit of an arse.
There are two bolts in the headlight area like you mentioned. Then they are often riveted along the top which you can see when you open the bonnet.
There is also a bolt way up inside the wing towards the bottom of the windscreen that's annoying to get to.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
narr it's a piece of piss . .if it's rivotted inside the engine bay just hit across the head with a flat screwdriver and hammer and they pop straight off . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Appreciate all the advice lads. Thank you Smile

Could I get away without replacing the rivits as I don't have a rivet gun?
Thanks given by:
(16-02-2014, 12:23 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: narr it's a piece of piss . .if it's rivotted inside the engine bay just hit across the head with a flat screwdriver and hammer and they pop straight off . .Smile

This! So easy to do, and saves trying to drill them!

And personally I wouldn't bother replacing the rivets as theres more than enough bolts, you can if you want though.
Thanks given by:
They are an arse when they've been bent up in a crash lmao

You could get away with not replacing the rivets at all. If you did want to put something there you could use nuts and bolts.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Yeh its easy to do. Give it a go. The arch liner does have to come out though.
Thanks given by:
The two screws at the rear (one near the top, one near the bottom) only need undoing a bout half a turn as the hole is a slot to the edge of the wing. The ones near the headlight are easy to get to, just use a 10mm socket.
Thanks given by: