Re entering unemployment / housing benefit query

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re entering unemployment / housing benefit query
So come Friday I'm officially unemployed again..

Whats the deal with housing benefit?

Looking here (http://www.sedgemoor.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=6165) it looks like I'd get £296.83 a month plus £56 a week from JobSeekers.

Is simple to start a housing claim?

I have enough money to pay a deposit and the first months rent saved but after that I'm screwed and would need that £296 toward rent/bills etc. Am I right in thinking I can crack on and move in somewhere then start the claim?

Is anyone on housing benefit or know much about it that could give me some general advice?

Obviously I'm still actively seeking work but until I find something I'm in a bit of a pickle!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Start asap. My housing claim took 4 weeks to come through, and expect to have to prove everything! I had to prove income, any outgoings, how my rent is paid etc

Ad jsa, was signed up to that in August, still nothing.

Could just be me, but I think jsa is useless
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
JSA is nearer £80 a week mate.

Other than that its so long since I got anything from the government I don't have a clue.
Thanks given by:
(28-11-2013, 10:47 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: JSA is nearer £80 a week mate.

Other than that its so long since I got anything from the government I don't have a clue.

It's £56 a week for under 25's or whatever it is.

(28-11-2013, 10:42 AM)Matt Wrote: Start asap. My housing claim took 4 weeks to come through, and expect to have to prove everything! I had to prove income, any outgoings, how my rent is paid etc

Ad jsa, was signed up to that in August, still nothing.

Could just be me, but I think jsa is useless

Right.. Not what I wanted to hear tbh!

Proving income, outgoings and rent isn't exactly a problem.

I was on JSA for 4 weeks and didn't have any problems until I got a SINGLE DAYS WORK and that was enough to completely stop my claim and make me re-start my claim after that SINGLE DAYS WORK had passed. Luckily I found two months work after that so didn't have to continue with it.

Those two months of work is now expiring..

Complete bull shit system if you ask me!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Me and my partner will be off benefits come December, About time I say. You can do it online now to apply for JSA, then they send you a appointment to go in the office to finish your claim. If you have everything needed it takes about 2 weeks, which is then back dated.

Housing benefit is simple again if you have all the details. Just pop in to the council go to main best and pick up the application. Soon as you have finished it return it to the office. Them claims take up to 4 weeks. So having the money to cover your next rent is a must, what we had to do as the back dated payment come 5 days after the rent date. =\
Thanks given by:
Understand what you mean about it being a bit of a crap system but I suppose you have to be thankful we atleast have a system like it, most countries dont!
en how screwed would you be! You got a pretty good time to be looking for work. Everywhere is looking for Christmas temps
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
So essentially I can't start making a housing benefit claim until I'm in a house?

But if I don't have enough money to cover the deposit and first two months (to be safe) then I can't move in, which means I can't make the claim...

Or can I begin making a claim for my move in date?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
You can make the claim from the day you sign the papers for the house, as you need the tenancy agreement for you r application .
Thanks given by:
(28-11-2013, 11:23 AM)underground375 Wrote: You can make the claim from the day you sign the papers for the house

Right ok, so if I sign papers to move in on the 16th of December TODAY then I can start my claim TODAY?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Yes long as you show this on the tenancy agreement as they will ask for it as part of the application for benefit. The claim will start from the 16th of December, giving you 2+ weeks in front to sort the claim out.
Thanks given by:
(28-11-2013, 11:25 AM)underground375 Wrote: Yes long as you show this on the tenancy agreement as they will ask for it as part of the application for benefit. The claim will start from the 16th of December, giving you 2+ weeks in front to sort the claim out.

Ok makes sense. So I'd need a copy of the tenancy agreement (which I should be given anyway).

Any other documents needed for the application?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Income, been the main one, pretty sure you need a few forms of I.d to. When you pick up the application the last page will tell you what needs to be provided . Smile
Thanks given by:
(28-11-2013, 11:31 AM)underground375 Wrote: Income, been the main one, pretty sure you need a few forms of I.d to. When you pick up the application the last page will tell you what needs to be provided . Smile

My pay slip will show that I've been earning up until tomorrow, hopefully that's not a problem.

Over the year I've not earned over £3,000 in declarable/taxable income so it shouldn't be a problem I hope..
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Doesn't matter what you have earned before hand. They do asked in the application tho if you have house hold savings. Or how much you have in saving accounts. It's different tho if you was applying for tax credits.
Thanks given by:
(28-11-2013, 11:40 AM)underground375 Wrote: Doesn't matter what you have earned before hand. They do asked in the application tho if you have house hold savings. Or how much you have in saving accounts. It's different tho if you was applying for tax credits.

Whats tax credits?

So if I've saved £1000 to pay for deposit & first months rent then is that classed as savings?

On a positive note, just applied for a job with Yodel. Tongue
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
That's money for the house, Tax credits if you have children under 18, or working tax or over 16 hours.
Thanks given by:
Yes any savings you have wil be taken in to account no matter what they are for
Thanks given by:
(28-11-2013, 01:52 PM)swampy Wrote: Yes any savings you have wil be taken in to account no matter what they are for

So I don't declare them..?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Is £300 a month even enough to cover rent and bills?
Thanks given by:
(28-11-2013, 03:11 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Is £300 a month even enough to cover rent and bills?

Nope!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
My bills come to £300 without counting car insurance and internet, Everything else is normal bills. It's hard to live if you have no children, In a way I can see why people have kids, wrong in way.
Thanks given by:
if you make a claim for housing benefit from the day you moved in it will get back dated if it takes awhile if you are accepted for h/b jsa is a joke and takes ages to get anything sorted but anyone can claim housing benefit even people who work can claim it if your on low income....
(msg sent from hell)

If i dont c ya threw week ill c ya threw window.
Thanks given by:
I wish it was simple..! :/
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
(28-11-2013, 03:35 PM)silverzx Wrote:
(28-11-2013, 03:11 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Is £300 a month even enough to cover rent and bills?

Nope!

That's what I thought! Undecided

I looked into it for myself but just wouldn't be enough. Shame I'm not 16 and pregnant really! Rolleyes
Thanks given by:
My bills are about £900 a month all in including everything, house, mortgage, food, fuel, phones, everything, but that's paid partially by my lass as she also works full time.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
If you don't declare the money you have it will delay things when it shows up via the bank account check they do
Thanks given by:
Trent...is there anything else you need answered?? not reading the thread.lol. beng lazy.

Housing Benefit pay from the tenancy start date.Some private landlords do not accept it.

You can put your claim in with the new address to start the application process but they wont pay out till the tenancy start date after seeing the tenancy agreement.They will pay four in arrears to the landlord or too the tenant.If the claim has been put in they will backdate till the date the tenancy starts in the first payment.

Need any more help?

P.S. Whats the situation now?Why you moving?

Remember the bedroom tax is now in place as well so dont go for a property that is too big for you other wise you wont get full HB Tongue
[Image: untitled_zps1adc0365.png]
138 BHP XSI
(21:20:51) Just_Sean: i had a pokey bum wank in the bath once and i shit you not, i burped a bubble
Thanks given by:
The bedroom tax is only taxable on council properties tho I believe Smile

I was on jsa for a few years when I left collage, claim was sorted in about 2 week's same with council benefits but the money you get from it is hardly anything for under 25's was a real struggle how any one can live of that small amount I never no!

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Insurance relevant query Rich306 12 2,750 19-04-2013, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  Oh Lord. Caution before entering. RePT 17 4,093 15-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Last Post: ash240970
  Sixties pop star PJ Proby charged with £47,000 benefit fraud Welshy_Pete 28 3,994 12-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Last Post: kingy