Emergency tax

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emergency tax
Since starting my first proper job in August, HMRC have been taking great liberty in emergency taxing me, which is as expected I suppose.

I don't have a P45 because I was in college before this, and I don't really know what any of the others are, I've heard P46 and P60 as well? :S

I wouldn't mind because I know I could just wait till April (?) and get it back in a lump sum but moneys tight atm and I want to get my car lowered! hahah

I'm on code 0T which is the emergency one I think, but when I rang HMRC to change it I spent 15 minutes on a 'press 1 to listen to a flute solo' etc, before the adviser saying they had no computer systems so I'd have to call back.

My team leader at work is less than helpful about this, saying that the amount theyve taxed me is right. They taxed me £191 excluding NI last month and I only earn £950 a month, which I know for certain isnt right. So I don't know who I should be speaking to to get whatever it is filled in.

Is there any way I can get it changed and refunded before the end of the tax year?

Thanks Smile
Thanks given by:
You need to ring HMRC and get your tax code amended. I've been on it before, and am on it now. Think of it as a form of saving Smile
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Your hr department should have the p46 form for you to complete.
Thanks given by:
As swampy said, you need to complete a p46 then have your company file it with HMRC then you should go onto the correct tax code (944L I think this year unless you owe them any money or get any benefits like a company car). You might just get a few months tax free in order for you to get the emergency tax overpayment back.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Just bell your tax office (it might not be the local one, mine is in wales) and tell them you want it changed. The contact details for them should be on your pay slip.
Thanks given by:
That tax seems cheap for that salary... Imo
Thanks given by:
(16-10-2013, 10:25 PM)Just Sean Wrote: That tax seems cheap for that salary... Imo

No, it doesn't.

That's way too much. I haven't heard of that tax code tbh.
When I worked for comet I was on a BR1 tax code (Basic rate) and I was taxed pretty much £200 a month for £950 month.

I earn near as makes no difference that now and I get taxed like £40 to £60 depending on overtime and crap.
Thanks given by:
Pulled from hmrc website...
Tax code 0T
Is used when your allowances have been used up or reduced to nil and your income is taxed at the relevant tax rates. May also be used if you've started a new job and don't have a form P45 or haven't completed a form P46 before your first pay day

I'v always worked income tax and NI at ~20% always seemed roughly right for me
Ni is only iirc around £56 a year or 6 months
Minimum Income before tax is roughly £177 p/w
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
(17-10-2013, 01:55 AM)Jenkosowls Wrote: Pulled from hmrc website...
Tax code 0T
Is used when your allowances have been used up or reduced to nil and your income is taxed at the relevant tax rates. May also be used if you've started a new job and don't have a form P45 or haven't completed a form P46 before your first pay day

f*ck dude, I'm not sure you even earn enough to have to pay tax. The minimum rate is about £10k p.a.
Thanks given by:
(17-10-2013, 04:11 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(17-10-2013, 01:55 AM)Jenkosowls Wrote: Pulled from hmrc website...
Tax code 0T

f*ck dude, I'm not sure you even earn enough to have to pay tax. The minimum rate is about £10k p.a.

£9440 this until April 2nd 2014 when it goes up to over 10k i believe Smile
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
£177 x52 is 9,204 so wasn't to far off.
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Your employer is obliged to help you sort this out, so you can either make them do it or just call the local tax office, the latter will probably be the quicker and easier by the sounds of it lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
If you let it build up do you have to wait till April to get it back?

Thinking this might be an easier way of saving up money for my next 306 because I couldn't save my breath hahah

But if one came up before April and I wanted it then I'd be gutted if the taxman still had all the money for it lol
Thanks given by:
I dont know the conditions but sometimes ive had to wait till april and someimes ive had it back in my next pay cheque and once they adjusted my tax code for the rest of the year so i paid less till i got my money back.

its not a great way of saving as you dont get any interest and they will sometimes do the sums wrong so you want to check in april when you get your p60 that youve paid the right ammount
Thanks given by:
Just got my payslip today, taxed the same again and actually might be a good thing....

£728 is more than enough for me given that I'm only 18, living at home etc

So I'm letting my tax build up so I can buy an XUD next year ;D
Thanks given by:
I'm lucky they sorted mine this month
Thanks given by:
I thought the tax code was 950L, £9500 a year. Hmm got me thinking, well I've got no hope of claiming tax back anyways.
But yeah get on to the HMRC and just keep at them.
Thanks given by:
Its 944L this year Smile

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/helpsheets/p9x.pdf

april 2014 onwards is £10,000 tax free so will be 1000L
Team Eaton

Thanks given by: