306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
what thickness cable is ok for battery relocation - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: 306 Repairs & Mods (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Electrics (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: what thickness cable is ok for battery relocation (/showthread.php?tid=9056)

what thickness cable is ok for battery relocation - HDIkyle - 18-12-2012

Looking at either 20 or 25mm cable 25mm is rated upto 170 amps is this ok or over/underrated. My question then is what power does the car require for starting ect?

RE: what thickness cable is ok for battery relocation - Birk - 18-12-2012

4 gauge is fine.

RE: what thickness cable is ok for battery relocation - Piggy - 18-12-2012

25mm is crazy thick!... do you mean the entire cable or just the cores?

RE: what thickness cable is ok for battery relocation - Ollie - 18-12-2012

Protip, take the cable out of a BMW at a scrap yard.

RE: what thickness cable is ok for battery relocation - Niall - 18-12-2012

(18-12-2012, 11:01 PM)Ollie Wrote: Protip, take the cable out of a BMW at a scrap yard.

this.
Dont use audio cable. Use proper battery cable. And dont forget, the longer the run, the more you have to bulk up the cable. I know my battery can chuck out up to about 600 CCA but bare in mind thats only for a very short period.

RE: what thickness cable is ok for battery relocation - HDIkyle - 19-12-2012

I know thid its 25mm2 core size battery cable. Bmw setups go for too muvh and I have no time to go find and remove one

RE: what thickness cable is ok for battery relocation - cully - 19-12-2012

IF you relocating the battery on a diesel id go for 35mm to reduce the cranking voltdrop as the ecu wont like it and throw wobblies
also use the same 35mm on the earth straps from the battery to the shell

diesels are real hard on batterys when cranking from cold

if its a petrol then 25mm minimum this is all core size not measured outside sheath diameter

RE: what thickness cable is ok for battery relocation - darrenjlobb - 19-12-2012

As cully said,

Ive been cheap a couple times (free cable / amp cable) and altho yes it will kinda work / seem ok, it just constantly gave me issues /slow cranking if the battery was even slightly down, just way more hassle than it was worth, cant remember what size i went out and bought in the end, but bought solid copper thick as fook stuff and have had no problems since!!

RE: what thickness cable is ok for battery relocation - Just Sean - 19-12-2012

iwent to the weldingshop and bought meters off welding cable. the guy said its rated to about 240 amps iirc... was only 24 quid too

RE: what thickness cable is ok for battery relocation - darrenjlobb - 19-12-2012

Yeh welding cable is fine also.

RE: what thickness cable is ok for battery relocation - swampy - 19-12-2012

I use And supply kits with135amp cable in never had an issue

Quality and how the terminals are fitted also makes a differance

RE: what thickness cable is ok for battery relocation - HDIkyle - 19-12-2012

Handy I have a mate who works in his dads welding shop. Swampy I will try measure how far from the bay the back of a sedan bootpan over xmas if I don't make 1 myself

RE: what thickness cable is ok for battery relocation - swampy - 27-12-2012

I now have the dimensions of these for a 306 hatch

RE: what thickness cable is ok for battery relocation - Frosty - 21-02-2016

Bit of a bump on this thread, having a bit of an issue after relocating my battery in my dt to the boot. Im currently using 25mm cable like HDIkyle was using and under cranking im losing about 0.8 of a volt and not cranking over as fast as i would like it. What do people recommend? Would going for 35mm cable help my issue at all?

RE: what thickness cable is ok for battery relocation - bashbarnard - 21-02-2016

I use a bmw cable. No idea what thickness. Comes with the added advantage of being fused as well. Cost me a fiver.

(21-02-2016, 12:56 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: I use a bmw cable. No idea what thickness. Comes with the added advantage of being fused as well. Cost me a fiver.

Where abouts you get it from?

RE: what thickness cable is ok for battery relocation - welshpug - 21-02-2016

a bmw Big Grin

RE: what thickness cable is ok for battery relocation - bashbarnard - 21-02-2016

(21-02-2016, 01:59 PM)welshpug Wrote: a bmw Big Grin

Yeah. About as much as I can remember. Sorry dude.

(21-02-2016, 01:59 PM)welshpug Wrote: a bmw Big Grin

Another helpful comment from you once again

I was asking more the question like where from as in a scrapyard or similar? They very easy to take out?

RE: what thickness cable is ok for battery relocation - miles - 21-02-2016

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/dccircuits/dcp_2.html

yeah it was easy enough to take out, once id removed the drivers seat, the rear seat, a load of plastic bracing they out in the car for what i can only tell no reason, then spent ages getting it out the centre of a massive wiring harness.