306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Removing locking wheel nuts? - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: 306 Repairs & Mods (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Suspension, Transmission, Handling & Braking (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Removing locking wheel nuts? (/showthread.php?tid=37752)

Removing locking wheel nuts? - Colactix - 28-02-2021

Any idea how to get these out? Reckon the garage didn't put my key back in the car, and they have no idea about it, so... 

They look different to most of the others I've been looking at - doesn't look like there's any space to hammer a socket onto them, or get any grip.

They're also recessed about 2 inches into the wheel... I can tell this is going to be a nightmare

[Image: JJif36K.jpg]

RE: Removing locking wheel nuts? - Toms306 - 28-02-2021

Laser alloys?

I reckon you can hammer a small deep socket on the centre but not sure it'll grip enough. Irwin bolt extractors weight be worth a try.

RE: Removing locking wheel nuts? - Colactix - 28-02-2021

(28-02-2021, 07:35 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Laser alloys?

I reckon you can hammer a small deep socket on the centre but not sure it'll grip enough.  Irwin bolt extractors weight be worth a try.

Lasers, yeah.

I'll have a go with a socket tomorrow on the centre bit, and I'll check out the extractors! 

Thanks!

RE: Removing locking wheel nuts? - Mighty306 - 01-03-2021

Doesn't look like there is space to hammer a socket on those. Had a similar problem n my local garage got them off by welding nuts to them n then spinning them off. Cost me £20 I think.

RE: Removing locking wheel nuts? - ekjdm14 - 01-03-2021

yeah those type you can either weld a nut on, or it's worth trying a few local tyre places and see if they have a key that'll fit as some keep a selection handy because of the nature of their work, and these are quite a common type of locking nut.

Also, get some standard nuts to replace them afterwards. Honestly my biggest hate has to be locking nuts, who steals alloys these days?

RE: Removing locking wheel nuts? - Toms306 - 01-03-2021

Lasers are still worth stealing, they weigh a tonne! Wink

RE: Removing locking wheel nuts? - welshpug - 04-03-2021

plenty of area to smash a sacrificial 12 point socket onto that type of bolt, do the other 3 up to torque will help also.

smashy smashy!! 9/16 rings a bell.

I have also managed to drill the heads off locking wheel bolts.

RE: Removing locking wheel nuts? - Mighty306 - 04-03-2021

Angle of the picture made it look tight but definitely trust your judgement on that!

RE: Removing locking wheel nuts? - Eeyore - 08-03-2021

smash a socket over the end, when that doesnt work trying to get it out will be a pain.... after that youll be onto the welding a nut on trick which you should probably try first anyway.... then after that drilling them out... yay.

RE: Removing locking wheel nuts? - Colactix - 12-03-2021

Hey, all!
Thought I'd just update you on this. Tried smashing a standard socket over them to no avail. So ordered some deep well bolt extractors - 5 mins with them and all 4 are out! (think it was the 14mm). A lot easier than expected. Appreciate all the help, saved me a lot of effort! Smile Luckily I hadn't torqued them mad tight previously...

[Image: VMOiTlb.jpg]

RE: Removing locking wheel nuts? - Eeyore - 12-03-2021

ive made a point now never to do lockers up that tight. All happened after my locker split at the side and i didnt trust it to not break!

RE: Removing locking wheel nuts? - Mighty306 - 12-03-2021

Deep well bolt extractors eh? Good to know. Been meaning to get some Irwin's for a while but will check out the alternative.

RE: Removing locking wheel nuts? - Colactix - 13-03-2021

(12-03-2021, 11:53 PM)Mighty306 Wrote: Deep well bolt extractors eh? Good to know. Been meaning to get some Irwin's for a while but will check out the alternative.

Yep, just from the Amazons. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TXC1JGF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

was a bit of a pain to find. The standard ones might've fit, but thought these would do the trick with less hassle.