306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Broadband Deals? - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: General (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: The Couch (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Broadband Deals? (/showthread.php?tid=37133)

Broadband Deals? - Toms306 - 17-11-2018

Anyone know of any good broadband deals about atm, particularly with Black Friday coming up...?

I'm currently on Sky's 'slow' broadband & line rental, was on an offer of £18.99 a month but that's now gone up to £28.99 a month. :o

Sky have offered me £20 a month to keep the same internet. Or £30 a month to upgrade to fibre.

So far, Vodafone looks the best deal on paper, fibre for £22 a month BUT I've read about poor speeds & service with them.

Any advice or recommendations?

Cheers!

RE: Broadband Deals? - Martin306 - 17-11-2018

All broadband deals are terrible.

BT want £30 a month for fibre

Virgin Media are robbing bastards

Sky want me to get TV as well for any kind of deal.

I can't win

RE: Broadband Deals? - Toms306 - 17-11-2018

From reading online reviews it looks like all broadband providers are terrible as well... lol I wish I hadn't started with the reviews tbh!

TalkTalk have got a BF deal on currently, £22.50 a month for fibre... Reviews suggest they're just as bad as Vodafone for service BUT they don't charge if I move within the contract which is likely, and it should be an easy swap, not needing a tech to come in and I can keep the existing phone number.

RE: Broadband Deals? - 306carter - 17-11-2018

I would recommend VM if they serve your area. I pay £32 per month for 100 meg, never experience it been slow or dropping out. We had 300meg to start with but no real for it so lowered to save monies.

RE: Broadband Deals? - Magenta Sunset - 18-11-2018

don't forget, it's not just speed and price to consider.
Look at stability of connection. customer service, and speed of dealing with faults if they occur.
Also, most BB, unless it's specifically over fibre, will be carried on the local copper network.
another thing to consider, is that for many of the smaller BB providers, they lease capacity off of Virgin, or BT with Openreach doing most of the engineering work.
run your postcode through a BB checker site to see who's offering what.

RE: Broadband Deals? - Eeyore - 19-11-2018

only get 2mb on the copper line hear and no opportunity to get fibre at all. We use 4G by putting a sim card in a router. Get about 28mb and Three currently offer 100GB for £20. £19 if youre an existing customer.

RE: Broadband Deals? - Toms306 - 19-11-2018

Fibre was installed here recently, I can see the box from my flat lol, so hopefully speeds should be decent as the copper will only be a few yards long.

I've gone with TalkTalk now anyway...£19.95 a month for 'Faster Fibre', guaranteed 35MB, estimated 39MB, unlimited downloads. £50 back through topcashback as well.

They have a 30 day good connection guarantee so if it doesn't work out within a month I can cancel anyway.

Customer service seems to be poor on all providers...the best provider for satisfaction last year was Sky...at 61%...that still means 40% of their customers weren't happy lol. Just have to hope nothing goes wrong whoever you're with I think!

RE: Broadband Deals? - cully - 19-11-2018

dont have a problem here with talk talk myself
just watch out for contract ends as they reduce the discount amount without telling you, i always phone up near end of contract and always get a good reduced bill

currently getting Faster Fibre + Fibre Speed Boost + unlimited calls for £35 a month Im getting speeds of 70MB down
just a shame they have stopped web hosting as ive recently lost that from the package

RE: Broadband Deals? - Toms306 - 19-11-2018

Thanks cully. Sky do the same with just taking the extra cost when the deal runs out. Fortunately I check my account regularly but still don't think that's a fair way to do it...a text or email stating the offer runs out in say a month's time would be better.

RE: Broadband Deals? - Martin306 - 19-11-2018

(19-11-2018, 12:24 PM)Eeyore Wrote: only get 2mb on the copper line hear and no opportunity to get fibre at all. We use 4G by putting a sim card in a router. Get about 28mb and Three currently offer 100GB for £20. £19 if youre an existing customer.

That's absolutely dire man Sad

I get 25Mb on the copper!

Well, it drops to 16Mb down until I notice and phone BT and moan and suddenly it becomes 25 again  Rofl

RE: Broadband Deals? - Eeyore - 20-11-2018

(19-11-2018, 11:52 PM)Martin306 Wrote:
(19-11-2018, 12:24 PM)Eeyore Wrote: only get 2mb on the copper line hear and no opportunity to get fibre at all. We use 4G by putting a sim card in a router. Get about 28mb and Three currently offer 100GB for £20. £19 if youre an existing customer.

That's absolutely dire man Sad

I get 25Mb on the copper!

Well, it drops to 16Mb down until I notice and phone BT and moan and suddenly it becomes 25 again  Rofl

yeh its about 7 miles of copper to the exchange on very old lines through a forest. We are in a slight valley too so phone reception is sketchy at best. 4G isnt too bad until i streamed game of thrones at 720p.... exceeded the data limit but unlike a phone contract the data didnt stop and I was charged 1p per mb... so ended up with a £150 bill that I couldnt contest. Of course they let me know... by texting their sim in their own provided a screenless router!