306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Handbrake not working - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: 306 Repairs & Mods (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Suspension, Transmission, Handling & Braking (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Handbrake not working (/showthread.php?tid=36438)

Handbrake not working - Welshy_Pete - 07-11-2017

Hello to cut a long story short the car had a new brake servo, new rear calipers, discs, pads and handbrake cables. So the back all new now 4 or 5 months ago.

The front today have new discs and pads so there new now and work fine.

The big problem I'm still having the car seems to hold backwards better down hill then facing forward down hill. 

I've tried slackening the handbrake right off and pumping the pedal while the engine off then a just handbrake centre console.

306 hdi

RE: Handbrake not working - Welshy_Pete - 21-12-2017

(07-11-2017, 10:16 PM)Welshy_Pete Wrote: Hello to cut a long story short the car had a new brake servo, new rear calipers, discs, pads and handbrake cables. So the back all new now 4 or 5 months ago.

The big problem I'm still having the car seems to hold backwards better down hill then facing forward down hill. 

I've tried slackening the handbrake right off and pumping the pedal while the engine off then a just handbrake centre console.

306 hdi

It's now coming down to either the brand make Eicher rear brake pads or hand brake cables are not good enough. I don't think there enough friction for the pads to hold. I can see the handbrake a just and caliper arms to.

So I'm thinking of changing these to either genuine peugeot rear pads?

I know there mintex and pagid but want to make sure I get the best for a better chance of things working?

I've spoken to several people there all saying the front brakes normal driving most pads will do fine. But for the rear there not used enough so friction problems with cheaper rear pads course problems I've been told.

RE: Handbrake not working - welshpug - 21-12-2017

has it got load compensator?

RE: Handbrake not working - Welshy_Pete - 22-12-2017

(21-12-2017, 01:31 PM)welshpug Wrote: has it got load compensator?

Hello I will have to check tomorrow its a 306 hdi 2000 with abs. 

So to be sure I will have to have a look were about's are these located on both sides?

There any pictures of where and what I'm looking for.

Thanks

RE: Handbrake not working - Mighty306 - 22-12-2017

Attached to right hand side of beam (if fitted), with 4 brake pipes n a sprung actuator attached to swing arm by lower shock. Pic on this post.....

https://www.theywhoshallnotbenamed/forum/images/imported/2010/10/306001-1.jpg

RE: Handbrake not working - mr_fish - 22-12-2017

(21-12-2017, 12:29 PM)Welshy_Pete Wrote:
(07-11-2017, 10:16 PM)Welshy_Pete Wrote: Hello to cut a long story short the car had a new brake servo, new rear calipers, discs, pads and handbrake cables. So the back all new now 4 or 5 months ago.

306 hdi

It's now coming down to either the brand make Eicher rear brake pads or hand brake cables are not good enough. I don't think there enough friction for the pads to hold. I can see the handbrake a just and caliper arms to.

So I'm thinking of changing these to either genuine peugeot rear pads?

I know there mintex and pagid but want to make sure I get the best for a better chance of things working?

I've spoken to several people there all saying the front brakes normal driving most pads will do fine. But for the rear there not used enough so friction problems with cheaper rear pads course problems I've been told.

Problem right there, utter litter pads. I know couple garages that refuse to use that brand.

RE: Handbrake not working - daddyfixit - 22-12-2017

abs, wont have load sensor valve ?? make sure pads can move freely in caliper (no crap on carrier) eicher are now made by ferodo as previously made by toys r us. remove/clean up & refit. somebody else will pop along soon with a caliper adjustment method ?

RE: Handbrake not working - welshpug - 22-12-2017

(22-12-2017, 04:39 PM)daddyfixit Wrote: abs, wont have load sensor valve ??

it will unless it has EBD.

(22-12-2017, 04:39 PM)daddyfixit Wrote: caliper adjustment method ?

make sure cables have slight slack, stomp pedal, job done.

RE: Handbrake not working - Welshy_Pete - 23-12-2017

I've checked there no compensator on my car. My old 306 hdi didn't have one either.

I've order some new genuine pads I will try those next. The only other thing left will be the rubber rear brake hoses but lets see what the pads do first.

RE: Handbrake not working - Welshy_Pete - 24-01-2018

(23-12-2017, 04:57 PM)Welshy_Pete Wrote: I've checked there no compensator on my car. My old 306 hdi didn't have one either.

I've order some new genuine pads I will try those next. The only other thing left will be the rubber rear brake hoses but lets see what the pads do first.

I took the newish rear brake pads of and they were all smooth no good at all. Those had been on the car 6 months waste of time.

I put genuine peugeot rear brake pads on. You could feel the pads where rougher before fitment knowing there not smooth. So there friction to grip the pads on the discs with. The handbrake works like new now.

I will just buy genuine or sports rear brake pads from now on saves to much problems after learning this.

RE: Handbrake not working - Poodle - 27-01-2018

For future reference you can buy oem quality pads from motor factors, TRW, mintex and pagid spring to mind. Will probably be cheaper.

RE: Handbrake not working - Welshy_Pete - 12-09-2018

This problem been fixed now. So anybody else having problems even when fitted new handbrake cables, discs, pads and calipers.

The brake pads need to be free to move. I wire brushed the brake holders where the brake pads sit on the ends. Then a small smear of grease where the brake pads ends sit on the holders.

The handbrake with rear discs works like new all this because the brake pads couldn't move. It just shows how this small problem causes all this big problem.

RE: Handbrake not working - wainwrightj - 13-09-2018

(12-09-2018, 05:13 PM)Welshy_Pete Wrote: This problem been fixed now. So anybody else having problems even when fitted new handbrake cables, discs, pads and calipers.

The brake pads need to be free to move. I wire brushed the brake holders where the brake pads sit on the ends. Then a small smear of grease where the brake pads ends sit on the holders.

The handbrake with rear discs works like new all this because the brake pads couldn't move. It just shows how this small problem causes all this big problem.

Mine failed the MOT because of this I took the carriers to bare metal and it flew through