306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Odd noise from footwell - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: 306 Repairs & Mods (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Interior, Exterior, ICE (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Odd noise from footwell (/showthread.php?tid=3617)

Odd noise from footwell - me-tm - 21-05-2012

I'm getting a strange noise from the driver's footwell.

It only happens about 2/3rds of the time when I either lift off the throttle sharply or depress the clutch quickly. The sound is quite a sharp TICK rather than a clunking I'd usually associate with something big like an engine / exhaust mount. It sounds more like somebody hitting the bulkhead with a screwdriver.
If I open the window I can hear it from outside too, suggesting it's in the engine bay.
I thought I'd traced it earlier when I found out my throttle pedal had about an inch of lateral movement :oops: Tightening that up didn't fix it though.

Any ideas?

If you're too lazy to look over to the left, just below my avatar, the car is a '97 Ph1 XLdt.

Odd noise from footwell - Jake - 21-05-2012

Engine mounts causing excessive movement ?

Re: Odd noise from footwell - me-tm - 21-05-2012

Toxic-Jake Wrote:Engine mounts causing excessive movement ?

How difficult is it to replace engine mounts? They don't look massively complex. Already had one off to do the cambelt.

Odd noise from footwell - Jake - 21-05-2012

me-tm Wrote:
Toxic-Jake Wrote:Engine mounts causing excessive movement ?

How difficult is it to replace engine mounts? They don't look massively complex. Already had one off to do the cambelt.

Top two are easy as anything, lower one requires a bit more work & needs pressing in and out of the bracket.

Re: Odd noise from footwell - Poodle - 22-05-2012

Engine mounts is usually a decent thump/knock noise though, depending on which one is going. I think I know what you mean because i had a noise like this on the ZX, never solved it though so can't really give you any more info, helpful i know!

Odd noise from footwell - Matt - 22-05-2012

Engine mount on mine was a clunk. Everytime I accelerated or took my foot off. Stopped itself now though....... Don't know if that's good or bad haha

Re: Odd noise from footwell - Eeyore - 22-05-2012

Re: Odd noise from footwell - puglove - 22-05-2012

Id suggest that it is the down pipe ever so slightly tapping the sub frame where it passes through and under the car to the cat. I had this problem before still turnt out to be the engine moving to much and cousing the loose exhaust to catch

Re: Odd noise from footwell - me-tm - 22-05-2012

Sod it. I'm looking at a cheap HDi estate that's 50 miles from me and only has 103k on the clock. It may be time for the Bianca to sod off soon...

EDIT: Nope, estate was sold, bugger.

I'll get a chance to have a good look under the car on Thursday when I'm out at my parents' farm.

Re: Odd noise from footwell - InkedMuttley - 06-06-2012

me-tm Wrote:It sounds more like somebody hitting the bulkhead with a screwdriver.

Take the screwdriver off of them and tell them to go away?

Sorry couldn't resist, but on a more serious note I'd say to check the downpipe isn't fouling as has already been said other than that I had a noise very similar on my Mondeo and it turned out to be a suspension drop link!

Re: Odd noise from footwell - Joe - 10-06-2012

does your gear stick move about when it happens? does it go forwards and backwards?