306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Driving skills and the older generation - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: General (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: The Couch (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Driving skills and the older generation (/showthread.php?tid=35894)

Driving skills and the older generation - mattbarker32 - 06-05-2017

Right apology straight of the bat to the older generation but sometimes you need to be told or realise that sometimes your driving ability is not what it was or should be. I hear you ask what has brought this on. Well see pic below the reason for my rant and rave. The lovely old person driving a audi a6 decided to drive in to the side of me then panicked hit the gas and rear ended another car. Panicked again and put it in reverse and hit a trolly bay all this in the local supermarket car park. So great fun for me. Oh and broke the handle trying to get the door open

RE: Driving skills and the older generation - r3k1355 - 06-05-2017

Fricking morons, I don't know why there isn't mandatory retesting.

RE: Driving skills and the older generation - Dum-Dum - 06-05-2017

(06-05-2017, 06:02 PM)r3k1355 Wrote: Fricking morons, I don't know why there isn't mandatory retesting.

There is mandatory re testing. Surely only a "fricking moron" doesn't know that Rolleyes

RE: Driving skills and the older generation - WiNgNuTz - 06-05-2017

I've said this many times, I can't help but feel if there was mandatory retests every 2-5 years, the standard of driving on our roads would increase dramatically, and it's not just limited to elderly drivers. Just a quick look at the vast quantities of dashcam footage on YouTube will confirm that young and middle aged drivers are just as bad as the elderly.

That said, it is always annoying when some eejit damages your car, hope you get it all sorted without too much drama.

RE: Driving skills and the older generation - Rippthrough - 07-05-2017

I'd just say mandatory 1hr with an instructor every year.

RE: Driving skills and the older generation - Piggy - 07-05-2017

(07-05-2017, 11:54 AM)Rippthrough Wrote: I'd just say mandatory 1hr with an instructor every year.

Anyone can be on their best behaviour...

Restest every few years would do it. Also always said it, since before I was a driving instructor... And being one for sometime, the current test is a joke and it worries me that people find it difficult

RE: Driving skills and the older generation - miles - 07-05-2017

Got to say rubbish here, Driving skills are pretty bad no matter what age, Today it took this Women around 10 minutes to park in 5 space's in a car park only to give up and drive out, She was no more than 30 with her mate and 2 kids on board who got out and left her to it, almost drove into me too

RE: Driving skills and the older generation - Rippthrough - 07-05-2017

(07-05-2017, 03:43 PM)Piggy Wrote:
(07-05-2017, 11:54 AM)Rippthrough Wrote: I'd just say mandatory 1hr with an instructor every year.

Anyone can be on their best behaviour...

Restest every few years would do it. Also always said it, since before I was a driving instructor... And being one for sometime, the current test is a joke and it worries me that people find it difficult

Same goes for a retest.

Even an hour with an instructor might remind the 99.9% of blithering morons on the road that they ought to check their surroundings, at least until they forget it the week after.

RE: Driving skills and the older generation - Piggy - 08-05-2017

True.
But the test needs to be pass/fail and much stricter.
However I dont wana open that can!
(True about ages too, a friend who passed 6months ago was struggling to pull away from the kerb, wound window down and asked which way her REAR wheels were pointing)

RE: Driving skills and the older generation - mattbarker32 - 08-05-2017

And its only going get worse as they have are now introducing a follow the satnav part of a test can see it now. Why did you drive down this road the wrong way. Well the satnav said to. God help us all. But agree on some form or test or inspection or with the way technology is developing am sure they could do a box that for say a month is fitted but it it would record but at random times and the driver doesn't know. But don't think that would ever happen or be viable alternative to a test.

RE: Driving skills and the older generation - r3k1355 - 08-05-2017

(06-05-2017, 10:54 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 06:02 PM)r3k1355 Wrote: Fricking morons, I don't know why there isn't mandatory retesting.

There is mandatory re testing. Surely only a "fricking moron" doesn't know that Rolleyes

Not a set 10 or 20 year retest for all drivers though, thats what is really needed.

(07-05-2017, 09:41 PM)miles Wrote: Got to say rubbish here, Driving skills are pretty bad no matter what age, Today it took this Women around 10 minutes to park in 5 space's in a car park only to give up and drive out, She was no more than 30 with her mate and 2 kids on board who got out and left her to it, almost drove into me too

Different groups of people have different deficiencies in their driving.

Men drive too fast, too aggressively and take too many risks
Women dither around, have poor spacial awareness and can't park for shit.
Old drivers have poor reaction times and can have their driving complicated by various health issues (also I find they're quite rude as well, not sure if anyone else thinks that?)

RE: Driving skills and the older generation - tom-dturb - 08-05-2017

Old complain about the young, the young complain about the old lol.

RE: Driving skills and the older generation - r3k1355 - 08-05-2017

Pretty much, no-one is perfect and everyone does something wrong.