306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
in what order - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Engines (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: DW10 HDi section (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: in what order (/showthread.php?tid=33858)

in what order - Magenta Sunset - 21-04-2016

so, the hdi has a water interface under the oil filter, right?
the question is; with a sandwich plate already fitted for gauges, what side should the s-plate for a cooler go?
before the existing, or after, next to the filter?

RE: in what order - Poodle - 21-04-2016

Personally i'd put it between the gauge sandwich plate and the filter, as otherwise you'll be measuring the temp and/or pressure of the cooled oil. That's assuming i'm thinking of your sensor sandwich plate right...

RE: in what order - Magenta Sunset - 21-04-2016

(21-04-2016, 01:10 PM)Poodle Wrote: Personally i'd put it between the gauge sandwich plate and the filter, as otherwise you'll be measuring the temp and/or pressure of the cooled oil. That's assuming i'm thinking of your sensor sandwich plate right...

that's right. I fitted the gauge plate a year or so back, and have since acquired a cooler kit from another member to go in this year. tho' I may swap the plate that come with it for a thermo one.

RE: in what order - toseland - 21-04-2016

Engine block, gauge plate, cooler, filter

RE: in what order - Poodle - 21-04-2016

Somebody fitted an oil cooler to their hdi a few years ago and had serious problems keeping the oil warm enough to work properly despite being a heavily tuned engine.

RE: in what order - Niall - 21-04-2016

(21-04-2016, 08:26 PM)Poodle Wrote: Somebody fitted an oil cooler to their hdi a few years ago and had serious problems keeping the oil warm enough to work properly despite being a heavily tuned engine.

To be honest i had this issue with my GTi in the winter and everyone knows the GTi engines run very hot in comparison to most other XU engines. Thats why i fitted a thermostatic plate and even then sometimes it would run a little too cool for my liking.

RE: in what order - JTaylor2005 - 22-04-2016

The thermostatic plates often open around 70c or something like that don't they? Would be better to get the oil warm occasionally to evaporate out any water or moisture wouldn't it?

RE: in what order - Toms306 - 22-04-2016

Tbh I've been ragging the '6 around and not seen the oil temp pass 90 yet, coolant sits at 85, can't see that it'd be necessary on a HDi at all? Confused

RE: in what order - toseland - 22-04-2016

still want to find away to run the temp sender via the oil level gauge on the HDi, like happens in the XS and '6...

so its not just "off" all the time when I am driving.. I like cool dials!

RE: in what order - Magenta Sunset - 22-04-2016

my gauge does peak above 100 in summer, but it's only temp wired from fag socket.
a job for May B/H

RE: in what order - Ruan - 22-04-2016

(22-04-2016, 09:09 AM)toseland Wrote: still want to find away to run the temp sender via the oil level gauge on the HDi, like happens in the XS and '6...

so its not just "off" all the time when I am driving..  I like cool dials!

I think I've pointed this out before as has Cully, but the dashboard is identical in the HDi as the GTi6 - just a different rev counter calibration and a different face to the dials... If you connect up a temperature sensor to the clocks via the same wires that a GTi6 would use, the gauge will read the temperature - obviously the clocks don't have the correct face, but it's a start.

You can even use GTi6 clocks if you wanted - they just plug in and work, obviously you'd only ever take it to ~5k but the oil level/temp gauge would then have the markings for temperature.

You just need to add the wiring in - I'd hazard that it's already there, but unused.

(22-04-2016, 10:04 AM)Ruan Wrote:
(22-04-2016, 09:09 AM)toseland Wrote: still want to find away to run the temp sender via the oil level gauge on the HDi, like happens in the XS and '6...

so its not just "off" all the time when I am driving..  I like cool dials!

I think I've pointed this out before as has Cully, but the dashboard is identical in the HDi as the GTi6 - just a different rev counter calibration and a different face to the dials... If you connect up a temperature sensor to the clocks via the same wires that a GTi6 would use, the gauge will read the temperature - obviously the clocks don't have the correct face, but it's a start.

You can even use GTi6 clocks if you wanted - they just plug in and work, obviously you'd only ever take it to ~5k but the oil level/temp gauge would then have the markings for temperature.

You just need to add the wiring in - I'd hazard that it's already there, but unused.

I should have phrased that more appropriately, "I need to find the wires and collect them up" rather than "find a way"  because I know it can be done, and have an idea of how.

RE: in what order - Eeyore - 22-04-2016

(22-04-2016, 07:28 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Tbh I've been ragging the '6 around and not seen the oil temp pass 90 yet, coolant sits at 85, can't see that it'd be necessary on a HDi at all? Confused

I don't know how yours runs so hot... Mine sits below 70 unless standing and oil temp sits just below 90

RE: in what order - Matt - 22-04-2016

(22-04-2016, 12:03 PM)Eeyore Wrote:
(22-04-2016, 07:28 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Tbh I've been ragging the '6 around and not seen the oil temp pass 90 yet, coolant sits at 85, can't see that it'd be necessary on a HDi at all? Confused

I don't know how yours runs so hot... Mine sits below 70 unless standing and oil temp sits just below 90

Mine will hit 90 if I give it death for longer then 20minutes stays quite cool normally

mine sits just above 75, standing in traffic for 5 hours on a warm day stationary running or rolling at half a mile an hour it got above 90 when I had no fans fitted, worried me a little but never got higher than this.

even when I rag the tits off the car, which to be fair is all of the time, it doesn't get hot. I have never seen the fans come on as a result of the thermostat.

RE: in what order - Poodle - 22-04-2016

(22-04-2016, 09:18 AM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: my gauge does peak above 100 in summer, but it's only temp wired from fag socket.
a job for May B/H

Yeah that seems rather high, unless you're running a heavy stage 1 and spanking the life out of it everywhere..? What oil do you use? Does the engine have any odd habits?

Or is that just when towing up hills or sitting stationary with the engine running for half an hour plus?

RE: in what order - Toms306 - 22-04-2016

I'm sure there's something wrong with your coolant temp... Either a leaky/not sealed stat or we need to re-bleed it I reckon. The stat shouldn't open until 83c so it should be there at least!

Don't forget mines also got permanent heat currently so cooling the matrix all the time. Confused

RE: in what order - Magenta Sunset - 22-04-2016

(22-04-2016, 01:44 PM)Poodle Wrote:
(22-04-2016, 09:18 AM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: my gauge does peak above 100 in summer, but it's only temp wired from fag socket.
a job for May B/H

Yeah that seems rather high, unless you're running a heavy stage 1 and spanking the life out of it everywhere..? What oil do you use? Does the engine have any odd habits?

Or is that just when towing up hills or sitting stationary with the engine running for half an hour plus?

stock tune, oil is currently Comma semi-synth 10w40 from my local motor store.
no odd habits. was just when sitting in the regular queue past Heathrow.
as I say, the sender wires are a bit of a 'try it & see' install. will be running a proper cable next b/h.

RE: in what order - Poodle - 22-04-2016

Ah i see. Not being funny, but an oil cooler won't do you any good at all while you're stationary or in slow-moving traffic as it won't get the air flow, better off putting your fans on a switch. Honestly, it'll do more harm than good.

RE: in what order - Magenta Sunset - 23-04-2016

in which case i'll just hit the ac button

in what order - rocker8742 - 23-04-2016

(22-04-2016, 04:34 PM)Toms306 Wrote:

I'm sure there's something wrong with your coolant temp... Either a leaky/not sealed stat or we need to re-bleed it I reckon. The stat shouldn't open until 83c so it should be there at least!

Don't forget mines also got permanent heat currently so cooling the matrix all the time. Confused

When you figure out the permanent heating thing let me know how [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: in what order - Toms306 - 23-04-2016

(23-04-2016, 08:49 PM)rocker8742 Wrote:
(22-04-2016, 04:34 PM)Toms306 Wrote:

When you figure out the permanent heating thing let me know how [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weirdly it blew cold this morning... Until about 15 mins in when I decided to try heat to check if that still worked...heat came through within seconds. Turned back to cold but nope, still stuck on heat again! Confused I think its the control panel, will be getting another to try soon hopefully.

RE: in what order - Magenta Sunset - 24-04-2016

quick update;
Oxford to Brum & back via M40. noted the following;
rpm 3k
air temp 8c
water 72/3c
oil temp 100/110 (will double check that)
pressure 60psi

smooth trip, no 'oddness'. ie, turn key & go. just as I would expect.
(so i'm suspecting the sender wire at this point)